DI State Duals draw

slingshot

Now that the teams are set, one has to wonder about the ever-secretive draw. Doesn't seem quite right that in a "seeded" sport such as ours, it often does not apply at the DI State Duals. Will the 2 highest state ranked teams be seperated? One would certainly think so, yet so often in the past, two top teams meet in the semi's, while another team has a much easier road even though they hold a lower ranking. We must accept that each year Clarksville is allowed financial gains that hosting allows. And the obvious "home court" advantage that they enjoy as they compete each year is also a plus. Must they also get treated as a #1 seed, thus ensuring a high dollar finals. I hope that I am way off base here....only time will tell.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My question is, why is Clarksville allowed the privelege of hosting the State Duals every year? I'm sure that if it was held at Bradley or Soddy every year the same question would be asked. I not knocking Clarksville they're all wonderful people but why can't the Duals be held at a neutral site every year like Lipscom in Nashville or MTSU? I agree with you slingshot that in the past both Soddy and Bradley have had what any non-biased person would call a bad draw by what looked to be an effort by TSSAA to ensure Clarksville a place in the finals. I'm sure Soddy Daisy will be watching carefully to see if they are placed on the same side as Bradley which will give Clarksville an easier path to the finals. What do the Soddy fans think??

[Edited by sly on 1-25-03 6:47P]

Guest twobackpoints

In addition to having to see the Wildcat fans at other tourneys we have to see them host the state duals too. Very noisy, hard to watch good wrestling with all that.

No one argues that Clarksville does a fine job, but a major reason they have it is to passify those who are tired of travelling to Chattanooga each year for the Trad. tourn and don't want to travel again, or as far for the duals. Clarksville (or Nashville) is centrally located, so most folks are happy. There's no problem with it being in that part of the state.

Are you, however not going to acknowledge that having it in their own gym is a huge boost to their program, both in fan support and financially? Are there no other schools that deserve that same luxury on some type of rotating basis so that several schools (including Clarksville) might get a chance to receive this gift from the TSSAA each year?

I think that it has been apparent to all that follow these posts that I am a fan of the Clarksville program. So I feel comfortable saying that there is no place as an unbiased gym, if you hold it near any school that has a team in the mix their fans are going to be there in greater numbers. If you hold the State Duals in Knoxville or Chattanooga or Memphis the Clarksville Fans are going to be there and making lots of noise in support of their team. What I have noticed during this year on these posts is all that are truly evaluating how the event comes off are all saying the same thing , Clarksville does a good job hosting this event. As far as rotating this event then lets rotate the individual program too if the issue is driving to Clarksville. Because we drive to that tourney also. If the issue is the financial gain that comes with the program then that gain comes with a lot of sacrifice on the part of the CHS Booster Club, but the Club loves doing the tourney for the exposure to great wrestling as well as for the aforementioned "Financial Reward" . As far as I know, the program makes money for TSSAA also, I understand that not all of these events make money for them either. CHS loves hosting this event and will ask to host it every year and hope that it happens year after year regardless of having a team in it or not. We do appreciate the comments on the event and our fans.