DI State Duals draw

slingshot

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually MTSU does hace a team. Their non-scholarship, which means they compete solely for the love of the sport. They had a few national champions for the organization they compete in last year.

In any case, as a Chattanooga fan I have no axe to grind with Clarkesville, from what I have seen they do a good job. What I do disagree with is having any team host a State Championship. The best thing to do, IMO, would be to move the thing to The Murph, expand to 16 teams for D1. They would put a lot more ###### in the seats, and that is the bottom line to the TSSAA anyway.

SlientJohn, I agree with what you said the only problem I have with Clarksville is their arrogance when someone suggests another venue for the state duals just might be better for the sport of wrestling. I never said they didn't do a good job but I do feel there are other programs that could do as well if not better. I'm sure Clarksville would be complaining if Soddy Daisy or Bradley was the host every year. Oh well I guess its up to the TSSAA to decide anyway.

Champ66 I know Clarksville won in 2000 and they had a good team that year. How do you think they'll do this year?

Guest 1moretime

dude how many state chips have you all won? what did the coaches ever achieve.how many state champs have you ever had. how many state championships has claskville won at clarksville compared to bradley. they are not at the same level. they do not even compare. its ok you can bring up one time which hands down you did win with a good team. but we all know who contols the state in wrestling and who everyone looks too beat and or hate.

Guest cornpop

As a Clarksville fan I would have to agree on MTSU for the duals. Who is willing to step to the plate and take it over now? By the way Clarksville didn't complain about wrestling the duals in Bradley's gym or Overton's gym, but threw it's hat in the ring to host. We did and TSSAA liked what they saw and have said it is in Clarksville to stay. I will repeat my question who is wiling to step up to the plate and run the tournament at MTSU?

Guest 1moretime

bradley has been trying to get for years now. and the odd thing about it, when it was held at bradley it bought more money in than any other state dual championship!!explain that. that cant be explained.and bradley had the state one year, compared to clarksville 4 or 5.

Clarksville is a swell town. The booster club does a fine job. The duals at Overton stunk!!!! But, it seems to me, that the argument against Clarksville should be that the gym floor can't adequately handle four mats. The stands can't comfortably handle eight teams worth of spectators, and the parking lot can't handle their cars.

I'm all for Murphy Center. Hello...Ronnie are you there?

The TSSAA does not employ personnel to man tournaments, therefore they are dependent on member schools or member interests to host and man. When they find a host that meets expectations and relieves them from the additional burden of anxiety that accompanies any new or untried host, then you can understand why they might be encouraged to stick with the tried and true. Bradley was a great host in '98. The crowd was good. The tournament was well run. But, if I remember correctly, wasn't one of the divisions complaining about being "stuck" on a mat that was inconvenient to its fans? And other complaints came about home mat advantage: Bradley won it that year. A neutral site may be an answer to some issues, but may bring on other issues that the never-have-had-the-responsibility-of-doing-that observer may not be in a position to foresee or to have a full appreciation of. There are probably a number of sites that could and would match Clarksville in pulling off a good dual tournament if they were assigned the challenge. But my guess is that the TSSAA is taking the position of why mess with something that is working that has the additional advantage of being more centrally located in consideration of the teams from the extreme locations. Also take this into consideration: how many school sites would enthusiastically take on such a task year after year if their own team were not included?

Murphy Center? Don't confuse MTSU with UTC. McClellan and The Roundhouse successes rely heavily on a proven system. The historical association with UTC, the organization that is in place, the related programs that are in place, the ready assists from the community that are there for the asking, the strength of wrestling tradition in the area, among many other pluses, make the Traditional Tournament work as well as it does. The possibility of Murphy Center does not have any of these big pluses in place. What it does have is that it is a great facility and it is centrally located. There is a huge gap between what it does have and what it does not have. And although there are those who are not in a position to ever be assigned the task of filling that gap who will give all sorts of ways that it can be filled, this observer sees that eventuality, of Murphy Center as the ideal site, or even a probable site, a long, long way off.

These observations are not meant to be anti-. (I would personally like to see Murphy Center become a player on the wrestling scene.) They are just observations borne out from seeing how these things play out over many years...And maybe coming to understand to some extent that what may seem the best avenue to me, or for, me may not be the best avenue for the best interests overall.