BEST WRESTLING COACHES, PRESENT

matrat

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted by 1moretime:

i would say gordon connell knows the best states to go out and get his wrestlers.that makes his job alot easier when he can show moves with greater difficulty than a school that starts off having to show wrestlers what a stance is and how to throw a half. connell is a good coach, but lets be honest most of his wrestlers can show him a thing or two.

You are way off target w/ this one, buddy. It amazes me how people can rant about something they have no knowledge of. Its this type of inane jargon that perpetuates conflict between the private and public schools.

Guest 1moretime

i said nothing negative about mccallie, coach connell. i simply stated a fact. in case your secretary did not tell you, that is the reason why we have a public, private split! because public schools are at a disadvantage. you cant argue that! its a fact! woking hard does equal success, you must have gotten that one off the wheaties box

Posted by 1moretime:

i said nothing negative about mccallie, coach connell. i simply stated a fact. in case your secretary did not tell you, that is the reason why we have a public, private split! because public schools are at a disadvantage. you cant argue that! its a fact! woking hard does equal success, you must have gotten that one off the wheaties box

There is little equality within private schools, as there is little equality within public schools. There is so much that goes into a successful program, beyond coaching, to consider. One of which, is population density. The availability of talent, and access to talent, dictates who will enjoy success most often. Also, you need to consider what communities are willing to place an importance on youth teams = development programs. The vast majority, all but 2 or 3, of McCallie's 40+ wrestlers came up through the system, meaning they entered school at McCallie in the sixth grade (or seventh grade before a sixth grade was started). And, a majority of them were wrestling for a youth club.

Now, using the above mentioned, do your own comparison of all the private & public schools and you'll find it to be a decisive factor.

I believe its a sound position, one came to by a public high school graduate. Hence, the signature at the bottom.

[Edited by pantheon on 1-30-03 11:37A]

I have known some truly great wrestling technicians. I have also known some truly great coaches. The great coaches are those who, out of their own pockets, provide food, clothing, shoes and transportation to wrestlers who cannot afford them. They are the coaches who are concerned about the wrestler who may not make varsity even as a senior, but encourage him to keep working, because it makes him feel that he is making a contribution. They are the coaches who are willing to help a wrestler when he is having difficulties in his personal life. They are the coaches who take the athletes no one else wants because they are hard to handle and help them to become successful wrestlers and men. They are the coaches who may never have seen a mat before and have learned all they know from a book, but are willing to give time, energy and effort to help young men be successful. They are the coaches who may never have a state champion or even a state medal winner, but who have successful men come back and say "Thank You".

Wrestling is a great fraternity and we all have differences of opinions and ideas, all of these opinions and ideas are what contribute to our success. The bottom line in the criterion for success should not be how much or how often we, as a coaches, have won, but did we make a contribution to the overall success of the young people with whom we come in contact.

To paraphrase a quote from the book, The Little Prince, "When I make you my friend, I become responsible to you". Great coaches will be responsible to do what is right for their athletes.

Dan Dugger

"The bottom line in the criterion for success should not be how much or how often we, as a coaches, have won, but did we make a contribution to the overall success of the young people with whom we come in contact. "

True words. I often wonder if my coach really knows how much of an affect he has had on not just myself but hundreds of the kids he's had in is program. A lot of these guys do more than teach talkedowns, a lot of them act as surrogate fathers and social workers too.

Dan, You have expressed very well what most coaches and many patrons have known for a long time. Some of the criteria you mentioned are not easily measured and often aren't even evident until time passes and meets with reflection down the road. What you have offered is not statistical, can't be counted, won't be found in any record book. But the bottom line adds up to a better person, living a better life, making our world a better place...And the sometimes that "best coach" award is offered with "Thanks, Coach."

Posted by 1moretime:

i would say gordon connell knows the best states to go out and get his wrestlers.that makes his job alot easier when he can show moves with greater difficulty than a school that starts off having to show wrestlers what a stance is and how to throw a half. connell is a good coach, but lets be honest most of his wrestlers can show him a thing or two.

To paraphrase how that great wrestler (look it up) Abe Lincoln would respond to 1moretime's uninformed and ignorant post, "It's better to not post and thought a fool, than to post and remove all doubt".