Legs

Guest DukeofEarl

Guest DukeofEarl

I know legs is a successful and good move, but is it abused much? Let me repeat, I know it is a good move series, but it is abused, like for stalling or well, stalling?

I don't have much of an opinion, I have just heard others talk about legs being a stalling move. Is it?

Hey Duke, that sort of is the real answer. Legs are a powerful offensive weapon. They can also be used as a fairly effective stalling technique. Not dissimilar from many top position methods, it is the question of the desired gain that determines whether it is offensive or stalling. That is where a good ref comes in.

[Edited by hipyou on 1-28-03 9:58P]

Guest TheMuffinMan

come on guys, i know bradley is known for legs but look at rusty blackmon, he didnt stall his way to osu. or the gibson kid, he didnt win state stalling. although some people who use legs late in a match do use them just to hang in the match. its however u wanna use them

An arm bar can be a stall as well as legs. The intent is to pin the man, secure a fall .

Once legs are put in, you get a certain amount of time to work them into something that is offensive, intending to turn the defensive wrestler.

Initially, with only control and no offense, I will stale mate it. That should be a subtle warning to the offensive wrestling that I see no action. The defensive man does not have to "give himself up" in this situation, allowing the legman his way. After a stale mate or two, the offensive wrestler should move on to another move in order to score or stalling is the next call. Its very situational and subjective.

Regional duals last week I hit a guy for that very thing.

Now in a tie breaker <2nd O.T.>, if I am on top, thats my move. Once I get my legs in, I am riding and hanging on for 30 seconds. The offensive wrestler now is TRYING only to control the defensive wrestler. If I were the referee of that match, you would have to do it twice. I would stale mate it after 15 seconds.

I love to call a good leg man that knows what he's doing. Its exciting, the scoring potential is huge and the control is great.

reftn

O.K. guys....If you are gonna argue about Bradley's leg ride, what about teams like McCallie and East Ridge's use of the russian tie. The same arguement can be made. Several guys use it and score, but others will hold you there and dance with you. Some moves are just like that.

So...we let them dance, or stick them for stalling?

Personally, I dont think we hit stalling enough. It is much more difficult on the larger guys, so you have to give a little. A 275#er hitting a sit out or stand up just lacks the ....ummmm.....poetry of a 125#er, dont you agree?

Whether it is a front head lock, legs, etc, etc....all should be given time to work any move to its rule logical end, PIN.

That said, the rule book allows you one warning (it is free) two 1pt violations and one 2pt violations then DQ. You can stall, if you have the points built up to afford it.

Other than that, wrestle.

Of the Bradly guys, their reputation with legs is positive. They use them, score with them. As long as anyone is working from the top to score with legs, they wont be penalized or shouldnt.

reftn

reftn - Based on what I've seen called stalling, your view is the exception not the rule. I have the impression that many refs consistently call stalling in competitive matches only late in the match and on whoever is leading unless the person in the lead continues to score. The best stalling call I've seen this year was at the Father Ryan Inv. Don't know the ref's name, but he has blonde hair and he knells down close to the wrestlers when they are getting set to start from top and bottom. At the start of one of the finals matches, one of the wrestlers immediately backed out of the center circle like he wanted to wrestle the edge of the mat. The other wrestler shot a double leg that went out of bounds. Only 6 or 8 seconds off the clock and the ref warns for stalling. Correct call, but how many refs will make that call that quick into the match? Good job!