SCHS GIRLS BASKETBALL

scbballfreak

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest thelane

the biggest problem is if you beat a team it counts against your strength. the teams with 15 to 20 wins equals 15 to 20 losses on the ranking. take out the those losses and you get a much clearer ranking. example oak ridge: lets say their opponentes record is 150-121, take out the losses=150-100, much different. you need to remove the wins as well, 149-100. also games on the schedule that has not been played counts.

For me to understand lane, you're going to have to explain it better. I've heard a few comments along the lines of yours, but no one has ever been able to tell me exactly why it should be done that way, with more complication.

My two questions are... If you beat an opponent, how is it not, in reality, a win for you and a loss for the other team? Also, if all games are counted (both wins and losses regardless of who played who), how would that be biased?

Funny how this topic came up just now... I was on my way back from class tonight and had a great idea for a new ranking method. Maybe I can sketch it out and code it in time for next basketball season. :D

Guest thelane

If I beat you 2 times, my record is 2-0 and yours is 0-2. what is my strength of schedule? 50? What is yours 100? If you beat another team you are 1-2, I am still 2-0, what is my strength? It is apparent I am better than you but my rank is less. It does not matter, you have to beat people to advance no matter what the records are.... Thanks for giving us your time and efforts!!

I understand what you are saying but as long as it calculated the same for every team then you still have a valid comparison for the rankings which is what you are looking for. Then, when you calculate your success against that schedule you are rewarded for those head-to-head wins while the other team is penalized. But, I do see your point.