Silverbullet State Tournament Predictions

Silverbullet

We were going to wait until tomorrow morning to post our predictions because of reasons not meant for discission on this board.

But since many of you are bombarding us with E-mails, we felt it would be OK to go ahead and post the Champions and Runner-ups. So here goes. The rest will follow tomorrow.

As many of you know, this year (unlike many years) has several weight classes that are WIDE OPEN for unknown wrestlers to sneak in and claim a medal. The upsets will be numerous. Keep your program handy. You will need it. There will be plenty of "new" schools represented on the podium this year.

It is always interesting to look at draws when the brackets first come out. The best draw in the DI tournament is by far Bill Seaman - MT Juliet. Other favorable draws in DI are Bryant Blackmon - Bradley, Paul Campbell - Soddy and Daniel Crosby - Greeneville.

The DI bad draw list is long with a field as deep as this years'. There are a couple of real stinker draws. They are; Alan Aiken - Science Hill, Brandon Hodge - NCS, Will Phillips - Soddy, Joey Jeffers - East Ridge and John Edmonds - Science Hill.

Here are our picks for first and second place.......

TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP

DIVISION I -BRADLEY OVER CLEVELAND BY 50 PLUS

DIVISION II -MCCALLIE OVER FATHER RYAN BY 1

INDIVIDUAL CHAMPIONSHIPS

DIVISION I

CHAMPION RUNNER UP

103 COLEMAN - CLEVELAND PUCKET - GIBBS

112 GOODEN - RED BANK ORTIZ - FRANKLIN

119 CORDELL - BRADLEY JAMES - SODDY

125 JENNINGS - CLARKSVILLE BIRD - EAST RIDGE

130 BOSKEN - SCIENCE HILL SEAMAN - MT J

135 LANE - SODDY SANDERS - MONT CE

140 CREAGAN - BRADLEY DAVIS - FRANKLIN

145 MCKINNEY - DOB BEN BORNEMAN - HOU

152 CATLETT - BRADLEY CODY - SCIENCE HILL

160 GIBSON - BRADLEY BOSS - TULLAHOMA

171 JONES - CLEVELAND BLACKMON - BRADLEY

189 CAMPBELL - SODDY COTHERN - FAIRVIEW

215 BONHAM - CLEVELAND TURNER - SMYRNA

275 CROSBY - GREENEVILLE PENNINGTON - CLARKSVILLE

DIVISION II

CHAMPION RUNNER UP

103 DUNNING - FATHER RYAN MANSON - BAYLOR

112 HILLER - FATHER RYAN SIMPSON - MBA

119 LEEN - BAYLOR CLEVELAND - MCCALLIE

125 SILBERMAN - MCCALLIE MANSON - BAYLOR

130 DUNNING - FATHER RYAN SMITH - MCCALLIE

135 MANLEY - MCCALLIE TATE - MBA

140 BLAIR - MCCALLIE MYERS - FATHER RYAN

145 SCOTT - MCCALLIE MARABLE - CBHS

152 STARK - FATHER RYAN CONNELL - MCCALLIE

160 MCTORRY - BA WELDON - FATHER RYAN

171 MARABLE - CB LUTTRELL - MBA

189 GOODMAN - MBA GREENWOOD - FATHER RYAN

215 THORNHILL - MBA SPRINGER - KNOX CATH

275 COOPER - MBA SEAY - MEM CATH

As always...E-mail your comments and questions to: SBulletWrestling @aol.com

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes vol, that one hurt. TG was not ready and the Maplewood kid was. He won the scrambles and TG was not his usual self on his feet. There are heartbreakers in the Big Show every year.

When Martin scored in OT to beat Gooden, I heard a young man sitting close to me say, "That's why they invite 32 wrestlers."

Wise words

Here is the rest

1 - COLEMAN-CLV

2 - PUCKETT-GIBB

3 - TINSLEY-BC

4 - ABDULLATIF-OV

5 - RUDAS-ER

6 - BUNDY-HNDRSNVLL

X - PAIR-PAGE

X ˜ WATSON

1 ˜ GOODEN ˜ RB

2 ˜ ORTIZ-FRKLN

3 ˜ FULLER-SD

4 ˜ MCGREW-DAN B

5 ˜ SPEROFF-COLL

6 ˜ GREENE-CHEAT CO

X ˜ IBRAHIM-OV

X ˜ SULLIVAN-COOK

1 ˜ CORDELL-BC

2 ˜ JAMES-SD

3 ˜ AIKEN-SH

4 ˜ COX-KENW

5 ˜ WELLS-DAN B

6 ˜ HENDERSON-HILLSB

X ˜ HUNT-COLL

X ˜ TALLEY-SO DOYLE

1 ˜ JENNINGS-CLARKSVL

2 ˜ BIRD-ER

3 ˜ BROWN-SD

4 - CATE-HALLS

5 ˜ MESSIMER-RHEA

6 ˜ SANDERS-FRA

X ˜ FELIX-FRNKLN

X ˜ JACKSON-ANT

1 ˜ BOSKEN-SH

2 ˜ SEAMAN-MT J

3 ˜ FURMON-RB

4 ˜ WEST-BC

5 ˜ BREWSTER-OV

6 ˜ BOYCE-COOK

X ˜ HALE-SMY

X ˜ ANDERSON-HERITAGE

1 ˜ LANE-SD

2 ˜ SANDERS-MO CEN

3 ˜ BAKER-BC

4 - HODGE ˜ NCS

5 ˜ MORGAN-CLVND

6 ˜ DRINKWINE-OV

X ˜ SHOLLY-SMY

X ˜ VANDAL-CLRKSVL

1 ˜ CREAGAN-BC

2 ˜ DAVIS-FRNKLN

3 ˜ HOUSTON-JEFF CO

4 ˜ GOODEN-RB

5 ˜ COTTRELL-FARR

6 ˜ BRANHAM-HALLS

X ˜ MUSSER-BW

X ˜ CAGLE-CLV

1 ˜ MCKINNEY-DOB BEN

2 ˜ BORNEMAN ˜ HOU

3 ˜ GRIFFIN-WILSON

4 ˜ INGLE-FRA

5 ˜ STODDARD-UNION

6 ˜ CLANEY-COLL

X ˜ BULLARD-FRNKLN

X ˜ PHILLIPS-SD

1 ˜ CATLETT-BC

2 ˜ CODY-SH

3 ˜ JEFFERS-ER

4 - COCHRAN-BW

5 ˜ BENNETT-DICKSN

6 ˜ FLOYD- SO DOY

X ˜ HARRISON-CLV

X ˜ JENKINS-MLK

1 ˜ GIBSON-BC

2 ˜ BOSS-TULL

3 ˜ ORR-KIRBY

4 ˜ O˜DELL-CLV

5 ˜ PACK-MCGAV

6 ˜ DRUMMOND-NE

X ˜ ANTONE-SH

X ˜ DRIGGERS-KNSTON

1 ˜ JONES-CLV

2 ˜ BLACKMON-BC

3 ˜ EDMONDS-SH

4 ˜ HADLEY-CLRKVL

5 ˜ ANETRALLA-MT J

6 ˜ WIPPERMAN-FRA

X ˜ SHARP-HIX

X ˜ RAMERIZ-UNION

1 ˜ CAMPBELL-SD

2 ˜ COTHRAN-FAIRV

3 ˜ MARQUEZ-MARSH CO

4 ˜ MARTINEZ-COOK

5 ˜ COOPER-BC

6 ˜ ROMBERG-MARY

X ˜ HELMSTETTER-CLV

X ˜ BLOCK-CLRKSVLL

1 ˜ BONHAM-CLV

2 ˜ TURNER-SMY

3 ˜ PEREIRA-FARR

4 ˜ HEFFNER-ROSS

5 ˜ EVANS-WESTSIDE

6 ˜ OVERBY-ER

X - CLEMENTS-SYC

X ˜ HOBBS-COOK

1 ˜ CROSBY-GRNVL

2 ˜ PENNINGTON-CLRKVLL

3 ˜ ANDERSON

4 - BRUGAL-BOLT

5 - TRUNDLE-MILL

6 - GRACE-ROSS

X - DONNELSON-SYC

X ˜ HARDING-ER

DI TEAM RESULTS

1-BRADLEY-201

2-CLEVELAND-135

3-SODDY-134

4-CLARKSVILLE-90

5-SCIENCE HILL-88

6-FRANKLIN-70

7-RED BANK-64

8-COLLIERVILLE-57

9-COOKEVILLE-56

10-OVERTON-55

11-EAST RIDGE-54

12-DOBYNS BENNETT-51

13-SMYRNA-50

14-FARRAGUT-41

15-MT JULIET-40

16-FRA-37

17-ROSSVIEW-35

18-GREENVILLE-30

19-HOUSTON-29

20-DANIEL BOONE-28

21-DICKSON CO-27

22-HALLS-26

23-MCGAVOCK-25

24-TULLAHOMA-24

25-SYCAMORE-20

No one underestimated Franklin. All of the wrestlers that placed (Ortiz, Davis, Bullard, Konz, Warfield and Felix) in the State Tournament have been in and out of the rankings all year. We DID predict the second place finishes by Davis and Ortiz while both Bullard and Felix were mentioned as having a great shot to place.

We believe Konz and Warfield are very good wrestlers but we did not think they would place because of their placement in brackets. In Warfield˜s case we didn˜t think he would get by both Wells (Daniel Boone) and Henderson (Hillsboro) and regarding Konz, his win over Seaman was a surprise to us. You may call this underestimation but we believe it was more a case of overestimation of the Franklin opponents.

Many of us who follow wrestling have known for a few years that Franklin was building a quality program. The Rebels should be among the top teams in the state for the next several years. Bradley will be our Pre-Season #1 for 2004 but Franklin may very well claim that spot in 2005.

It is a shame that the 2 best wrestlers at 171 did not meet in the finals.The 3 best wrestlersJones,Edmonds and Hadley were all in the same bracket. This is an injustise to these kids who give so much time and effort to be the best in there class.Blackmon is Not the 2nd best at 171.Edmonds would have been beter off to have finished 6th last year.Blackmon didnt place last year and was better off than Edmonds, who finished 3rd last year. This makes No sense.As soon as the brackets came out it was obvious that someone wanted blackmon and jones in the finals. This is not to say that Blackmon is not a good wrestler, because he is. He is not the 2nd best in state. There has got to be a better way to seed these kids who work so hard.Blackmon finished 2nd in the region and didnt place last year. Edmonds won his region(for the 4th time)finished 3rd last year and was 52-0 this year.It is obvious that someone didnt want Edmonds and Jones in the finals. This is Not Fair to these kids.Your r sending the wrong message to these kids.

Just because Blackmon did not finish in the top 6 last year does not mean he should not have the 2nd place metal this year. He too worked his butt off this summer and all season. I don't recall anyone he wrestled just dropping to the mat saying "pin me". I think all the wrestler who walked away with a metals earned them, and he did.

If you are going to give them out based on opinion, then why bother with the matches.

Or just put Jones in a bracket by himself next year and everyone else in the other one.

It is not that anyone was setting up the bracket for a Blackmon v Jones matchup, it's that Wipperman was the highest placer at 171 last year and got the number 1 seed. Did he live up to it, obviously not. Jones and Edmonds fell where their last year's placings put them, in the number 2 and 3 seeded positions. Because Jones, the Region 3 champion was in the bottom bracket, Blackmon, the Region 3 runner-up, must go in the top bracket. In Blackmon's quarter bracket, there were 4 wrestlers that had been ranked some time during the year. Two state placers from that quarter bracket didn't even place this year.

I do agree that the two best wrestlers do not always meet in the Finals but to suggest that it is part of a Master Conspiracy is a reach. It can be argued that the same thing occured in 3 or 4 other weight classes.

This happens every year and there is really no way around it. You and I may think that Edmonds and Jones were the top two at 171 but how do you prove it. You would run into the same problem we run into with this poll. For example:

A beat B...B beat C...C beat D...therefore A is better than D.

At best it is like reading tea leaves. Come up with a good solution and I and many others will help you push it through.