Bradley-Cleveland....Integrity and Ethics lost.

BackyardLegend

It's amazing how Cleveland blew their big lead. Everybody gets caught up in emotions. Cleveland wasn't robbed, they just didn't finish the deal. When you leave that little opening for teams, sometimes they come back. I was there in the middle of the Cleveland section. They couldn't believe that they didn't slow down the ballgame. I was even surprised. The jump ball was iffy and the number of charges taken by BCHS was unheard of, but the fact is that Cleveland had a 16 point lead with a half of a quarter left. Pickel stepped up and hit some big time 3's. The L on Cleveland's schedule is there and it dosen't matter how much anybody complains. As a coach myself I have had that happen, but I know that a game is dictated by the refs and there is nothing I can do about it. Especially with our trips to White County in the late 90's. They always had these same refs that made questionable calls. Losing is part of the game, but how you lose is about the same as how you win. Basketball isn't everything. the Cleveland kids will regroup to play another day. Next time they have a big lead, I'm sure the coaching staff will do alot of things different. We learn from mistakes. Coach Green still acts like a player. One day he will mature into a sound coach, just like his father. As the years proceed, He will understand that the refs, players, and coaches are not bigger than the game.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will these teams meet again next Thursday in the finals? Time will tell. The game will be played at Cleveland High School which is a very small gym for a AAA district tourney to be held in especially a game of such magnitude. All you basketball fans better get there early or the doors will be locked. There is a chance it could be the same matchup in the girls final. Skip work and get there by 5:00

Guest Hollerin

It's sad to think that people are blaming the refs for the Bradley & Cleveland game. The refs to make bad calls. There is not one ref I know that calls a perfect game. The two "bad" calls did not lose the game for the Raiders. It might have been the 14-0 run in the fourth quarter or the simple fact Cleveland didn't score in the fourth quarter for several possessions. I play ball too and when we lose I don't blame the refs because WE lost. Blaming the refs is just a bad way in saying "hey we lost" However, I will say both teams played well and I'm sure they will meet again.

You "armchair" referee's should get on the floor and try it sometime. It's not easy. Yeah, they get paid, but not nearly enough for all of the garbage they put up with. If the TSSAA doesn't do something about out of control situations, they will not have any officials. Try it without officials sometime, then listen to all of the whining. Officials don't care who wins!!

It is true that Bradley played well to win that game, but the refs do come into play when cleveland and bradley play each other. I remember my dad walkin down to the end of the bench one time to throw something in the trash, and he was T'd up for that. I also remember my dad went to the TSSAA and got knoxville refs for all of cleveland's home games starting when reggie tucker and his crew were seniors. This was an excellent move i thought on his part. Most close calls in cleveland, bradley games go to bradley. That is just the way it is.

[Edited by jz41 on 2-20-03 11:27A]

Joel Z:

You played for Cleveland so your enormously biased. During the Reggie Tucker and David Turner years Bradley hardly ever beat Cleveland. They had alot of good players come through. Ref bias is all in your head. Blaming your shortcoming on refs is absurd. Do you blame the refs when you win. "The refs really helped us out this game. If it wasn't for them we might have had to start the bus up early!" Look in the mirror before you throw nonsense out!

Huckster:

jz's point is that when playing bradley at bradley, you can always count on 2 or 3 questionable calls during the fourth quarter. It was that way when i played, it was that way when jz played, heck it was even that way when kent smith played for cleveland. playing bradley at bradley one can always count on a few questionable calls in the fourth quarter.

If you call jz biased then I am going to have to call you biased for bradley. jz has every reason to hate cleveland, since his dad was force to resign to make way for coach grant.

I guess you were at Cleveland during the years Bradley was rolling over the Blue Raiders. Zimmerman moved on to Cookeville where I think he did a half-decent job. He did a pretty good job at Cleveland also. Forced to resign...I'm not sure about all of that. I really didn't keep up with Cleveland while I was at TTU. Why do all you Cleveland people complain now. We didn't here it during the V Yarbourgh years of Slama Jamma! Were there bad calls then? Your sounding like your getting cheated everytime you come over to Smiddy Arena. The game is as fair at Cleveland as it is at Bradley. The district and region tournaments tell the story. Seasonal Domination carries over into the tournament. The close games swing and the end results are not biased, but are won by good execution and coaching. So live with the rivalry and quit complaining.