Turning back on the flag

footballfanatic

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My dad is currently on his way to fight overseas in Iraq. So you can understand when i heard this story it overly upset me off. If you dont like it here LEAVE. I guarentee she couldnt last 5 days in another country. USA is the best around and it gives you the freedom to do stupid crap like this and not be "stoned to death". :x

One of our freshman dads has been activated out of his national guard unit - so it really made me mad, too. Last night his daughter got in and was playing so well and all I could think about is that I know her dad would love to be here to see her play.

However, he's out defending flag and country with your dad for the rest of us. Be proud of your dad (I'm sure you already are! :) )

Guest EaglevilleBlade

I totally agree with her turning her back on the flag, flame me all you want, but if you understand her reason you will see she is a true American.

She is angry about the war situation and so are alot of people. She has the right to do it. Atleast she doesnt blow herself up.

I personally do not say the pledge or the anthem, my beliefs are the basically the same as hers. But I DO stand to recongnize the solders who fought for a REAL purpose. I say by not salution the flag you are a true American and not a sheep who eats up what the media tells you is true.

I dont care what you people say, you all have your opinions, and if you want to tell me face to face come to the district tourney tonight, ill be in the eagleville section. bring your flags and be a sheep like 50% of America

There are other ways to protest the war than turning your back to the flag. You wanna know why she did it.....probably to get on tv or get in the newspaper. I dont like the war either.....but I live in this country and agree it is the best. If you wanna protest the war , maybe "bin laden" or Iraq will drop a bomb on you, then im sure you and your family will all be ready to send people like my dad over to risk thier lives to make sure it dont happen again. Think about it. This is the only way to ensure more people dont have to die ( innocent people like this girl who turns her back to the flag). :o

If she is protesting the war and decisions made by people in govt., then she still can't justify turning her back on the symbol of freedom that gives her the right to go to college, play basketball, and the right to turn her back! The flag does not represent any govt. policies.

I truly believe that the only rational way to protest against your nation is to simply leave the country (as crazy as that sounds). I personally believe that it is incredible that she turns her back on the flag but still enjoys all the luxuries and freedoms that the people who fought to preserve that flag died for!

:o

"There's no such thing as a perfect system; our's is the best. If you don't believe that, ask someone who has lived through the communist system in Russia"

actually i have done just that. ya gavarrya puh rooskie (altho very poorly-thank god lots of them speak much better english than my russian or polish). i was fortunate enough to get to compete on the international level back when the soviet union was in full swing. i got to know athletes from not only russia, but poland, east germany, the ukraine, lithuania, georgia, and several other east block countries. altho their teams always contained incognito (like it is so hard to tell a real athlete from a sham) party "bosses" assigned to keep their athletes away from us and to do all the talking to us westerners, we became fairly adept at separating individuals from the group so that we could talk openly. (it drove the bosses crazy)

it was very educational. the first thing they always wanted to tell us was that the russian people did not have a problem with american people, and they did not want to have a war with us.

other things we learned were that the countries, other than russia, contained in the soviet union were vassal states and only remained in the union by force of arms (or the threat thereof). the animosity and racism between the various nationalities was shocking. it was obvious long before the actual breakup that the soviet union was doomed to collapse under its own weight.

those who were living under the east european version of communism most envied three things that we have in the US. third was our homes. they found the amount of space occupied by a single family to be absolutely astounding. one of my russian friends was a chemical engineer, an "educated" person, and shared a 4 room flat with 10 other members of the extended family. private bathrooms were a fantasy. second was our food. to paraphrase what i so often heard, "to have food when you are hungry is true wealth." but the number one thing they envied; Freedom. i helped one fellow slip away from where the athletes were staying (here in the US). even tho he was going to get into trouble, he wanted to do it. as we stood in the woods he kept taking deep breaths and exhaling. finally he turned to me and said; "to breathe free air once in my life is my greatest dream, it is worth it (the trouble)."

where he came from no one criticized their leaders. no one would dare to turn their back on the flag. there was a well established system of informants to report any suspicious activity. they had all the security anyone could want. and his lifelong dream was to stand in the woods in a country where some silly girl basketball player could turn her back on the flag, and breathe the "free air".

i dont like what she is doing, but i am proud that she can.