Another Loss for MT. PLEASANT

LegendsPRman

I was shocked and saddened by a story in Friday's Daily Herald, which informed me that the "Voice of the Tigers" Martin Roddy had been relieved of his duties. This is the second Mt. Pleasant Legend in less than 6 months to be removed from his job, the first being Coach Dugger who as we all know recently "resigned" as head football coach.

For nearly two decades, Tiger players, coaches and Principals have come and gone. But Roddy's voice was always there, delivering the play by play over the air for everyone across Maury County to hear. Known to loyal Mt. Pleasant listeners as Marty "The Body" Roddy, he made "Touchdown Tigers" and "What the H*** are you thinkin' Mr. Ref?" common football expressions during his illustrious broadcasting career with the Tiger Network.

Roddy will be missed deeply. He has touched the hearts of many fans, both of MPHS and sports in general, throughout his career with the school. He has been seen many times taking pictures with babies, signing autographs and just hanging out. A fan favorite, Roddy also holds the TSSAA record for consecutive athletic broadcasts at over 500 games.

As a child, Roddy's parents recognized he had an oratory gift when he led his Church Choir during Sunday services. Roddy's gift was also noticed by his classmates in high school when he led the MPHS chorus in their rendition of "Silent Night" during a Christmas presentation. After constant persuasion from family and friends, Roddy decided to go into broadcasting and soon began calling Tiger football and basketball games after he graduated high school. Many Mt. Pleasant big shots and legends were recently asked about Roddy and here˜s what they had to say:

Former Principal W.C. Johnson - "Marty's colorful descriptions of the game transcended the sport and have had an indelible influence on football, basketball, and broadcasting itself".

Current Principal Tommy Wolaver - "It's sad he's going. It will be a lot different. It will be hard to replace him."

Athletic Director Webb Williams - "I wasn't always familiar with Marty, but when I finally heard him call a game, I understood what everyone meant. His descriptive, rapid-fire way of calling a game made him unique."

Former Head Coach Dugger - "What I enjoyed most about Roddy was his honesty. If I asked him about a player or a coach, I would always get an honest answer. His frankness was refreshing and certainly not typical of someone so immersed in an organization."

Basketball Coach Eric Hughes - "I grew up listening to "The Body". He is a big part of what Tiger football and basketball are all about. I can't believe he's gone."

Director of Schools Kip Reel - "There's no one who has meant more to Mt. Pleasant athletics than Marty Roddy. He's a true professional."

What has many fans and Tiger faithful upset is the way Roddy was released by station owner, Donald Paul. Last week Roddy, an employee with the Mt. Pleasant Waste and Water Department, was bravely fighting creek and sewage flooding when the Tigers were playing in the District Tournament. He was unable to make the game because of the massive flooding of feces along Haylong Avenue. Paul believed that Roddy, despite being up to his knees in human waste, was obligated and should have worked the game and thus broke his contract with the Gospel music station by not showing up. Roddy stated later in his own defense, "I was literally up s*** creek without a paddle. This is absurd. Throughout my career, I have refused to call in sick. I have even worked a couple of times with laryngitis that forced me to sit out the second half."

Roddy has been replaced by lifelong Mt. Pleasant native "Jiven" Jerry Roberts. Roberts shrugs off any added pressure in filling the shoes of a Tiger legend, and he simply hopes that Tiger fans will embrace his efforts. "I don't really have a concern about replacing Marty, per se," he said. "My main concern is carrying on the tradition of the radio station. It's my responsibility to take it to another level, and that's the challenge for me. "I'm not gonna be Marty Roddy. I'm not gonna try and be Marty Roddy, because no one can be Marty Roddy. But someone has to replace him. I'm just fortunate I'm the guy."

Roddy continues to maintain a positive attitude and gives credit to fans who have motivated him throughout the years. "One thing we must treasure are the comments, criticism and courtesy of the fans", Roddy said. He also said he was contemplating retirement anyway because the rigors of the job on himself and his family, and he personally questioned whether he could maintain his "level of concentration, intensity." "It has been fun," he said. "But it is something to ask to be specifically assigned to somewhere for so many nights for 18 straight years. You have to think of your family."

Marty, you will be missed.

[Edited by LegendsPRman on 3-2-03 4:25P]

VERY WELL SAID MY FRIEND! MARTY "UNCLE RUDY" RODDY

WAS WHAT KEPT US HANGING ON THESE LAST FEW YEAR'S

CAUSE WITHOUT HIS EVER-PRESENT LOVE FOR MPHS FOOTBALL

AND HIS UNCANNY ABILITY TO MAKE GAMES EXCITING EVEN

WHEN THEY WERE NOT, HE CONTINUED TO DRIVE ON HOPING

FOR A CHANGE AND THE ONCE MIGHTY TIGER'S TO GET BACK

TO THAT LEVEL. YOU WILL BE MISSED 'OLE BUDDY AND I

HOPE SOMEONE CAN CARRY ON YOUR ABILITY TO "LIVE"

BROADCAST MPHS FOOTBALL WITH BOTH HONOR, AND DIGNITY. :rolleyes: