metro hiring article

shadow

The success at McGavock will not come from Armstrong's coaching alone. If they are to be successful, it will because of the assistants he either can retain or bring in. The coaching staff transition will be easier at Hunters Lane and Glencliff. McGavock and Stratford may take a step back in order to move forward. I do not look for Stratford or McGavock to make the playoffs next year. I saw Stratford play this past year and it appears that they have decent talent but an ancient offensive philosophy. They were fundamentally sound and that probabley is attributed to Coach Campbells work ethic and expectations. By the way, how does Stratford afford to purchase equipment, security and travel expenses when their Security concerns pull a tremendous amount from the Athletic Budget. Do they get PTA help or help from local businesses? Maybe a Stratford coach could comment about this issue?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

daba, you better believe Richard Campbell is the real deal. He can coach and yes he is a great role model. Know the person before you start talking. He is definitely deserving. I am bewildered that private school people would even think of complaining because they sure don't like to hire public school people - no matter what their record is!! :confused:

Right on PanGam, Richard is a proven coach and has done well in tough jobs as a head coach. Some private school coaches have no teaching certificate and most public school systems demand one if you want to be qualified. Go to school and get certified and your chances will improve.

Just because you play with cats (Single A football) doesn't make you the lion tamer (Five A football). I am sure that McGavock is a completely different world than Ezell-Harding. But I would bet Whites Creek is very similar. And Coach Armstrong has had some pretty good teams that he has been involved with at Whites Creek. Smith may have a ring, but not at the 5A level. Keep shopping!

• 2 weeks later...

Dear thefluff, that animal analogy (cats and lions) really put all those small 1A coaches in their place, especially Smith! Way to go!Checklist of items needed to coach in a higher level of football:stool,whip, pistol and a Brain. Yes, history teaches us that in America no one should have a dream to climb higher, to acheive more, better be content where you are.....the differnce is what America is all about, work hard, achieve more, get better....prejudice on any level is sad....lucky you know everything about Smith befoe you showed your ignorance.....by the way, what crime has he committed against you?

Paxton I never claimed to know much about Smith, I never will claim that. Ignorance may be something you and I both share. But I agree with what you said..."work hard, acheive more, get better .... prejudice on any level is sad". And that is why I am glad Doris Armstrong got the McGavock head coaching job. Becasue he has worked hard and acheived alot in his many years in Metro and I am glad that you are not prejudice he was hired to run that program and you were not, I mean your pal was not hired. I wasn't trying to put 1A coaches in their place I have alot of respect for the PUBLIC 1A coaches and like I said earlier Keep shopping!!

The use of the words snobbish and sarcastic hurt to the bone. Is it not fair for someone to take up for the little guys of coaching.....does this war of words cut to the bone? Are job hiring based on fact or fiction? How does a man prove his worth? Obviously Smith is not qualifed for a job in Metro, he left twice, once to many times. By the way what are the qualifications for a 4A or 5A coach? All the guys in the lower classes would like to know? Are there classes we can take? Systems of play that we can learn?Is it leagal to use a split end or must everything be two tight end?If you throw out things like winning, writing, lecturing how do you measure success? maybe graduation rate.....no more crap...play the game, no excuses, no prejudice

I have only heard good things about you and your coaching abilities (basketball), we feel the pain, I also happen to know that Smith applied for the Ezell Job 5 times before he got it and then only because he knew someone....wish there was a way where coaches could be fairly evaluated and not be hired because you are someone's best friend or boy....let everyone stand on their on merit....a lame hiring excuse is "because they were a better fit".....bull crap!