metro hiring article

shadow

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can we agree on specific qualifications that are needed by a head coach on any level of football?

I'm going to throw out some just to get the talk going!

Won Loss Record

Years in Playoffs and Playoffs success

Do player enjoy playing for him?

Respected among his peers

knowledge of the game on all three aspects

Well your coach fails on one of these, respect among his peers! He has accomplished a lot at Ezell but the way he did it has brought about condemnation from almost every coach in the state! He may have a lot of success in metro, but I would rather have a loyal public school coach (in or outside of metro) that has spent his entire career working to educate kids of all backgrounds. I would also want to see a coach who appreciates public education and not one who may have tried to lure kids away from metro schools!

I'm not sure I agree that playoff success is one of the top five criteria to judge qualified coaches. If you've been coaching limited talent, expect only limited success. How much playoff head coaching success did Ron Crawford have before last year? Winning is not - and should not - be the bottom line. Would you trust the guy with YOUR child? To me - that's the most important question because in many cases - at a school like Stratford - this coach will be the father figure to many of these children. And here, I'm giving Metro high marks because men like Ron Aydelott, Jim Wilson, Richard Campbell, Maurice Fitzgerald and Jerry Pigue have proven they are up to that challenge.

Caesar, come on now, let's come up with something better than "luring kids away from public schools" you can tell yourself that every night before your bedtime prayers if that makes you feel better....duh... recrutiting is for people that are insecure...the great private school power of Ezell-Harding has 51 players on it for the 2003 season...they have one player over 200 pounds....245 to be exact....the next heaviest player is at the quarterback position at 198 pounds.....yeah, you figured us out...we go to the little league games and find the best athletes and offer them full scholarships, a brand new car and a better job for their mom and dad.....we lure them there with our 10,000 square foot field house and state of the art indoor practice facility in case it rains.....we have to pay them extra money to play for the head coach......he's so hard to work with anyway.....yeah we lure kids away, its the only reason Ezell wins!

Oh, by the way Smith has logged 5 years at Antioch, 2 years at Greenbrier and also managed to make it thru 12 years of public education where he learned that recruiting was how you win....say many things about how he is hated by his peers because his teams score so many points, but find another reason besides recruiting....if you get bored one day call Smith and take the 5 minute tour of Ezell's athletic facilities and then you will know.....the whining never ends....come look in the weight room and see the incredible weight room......if you have a charge about recruiting make it... put it out there.....if you don't lets atleast come up with another reason why we don't like him!

Remember this my friends: In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king!

This is not Smith's first attempt at the Stratford job. He was actually one of the few that applied for it last time, even got his application in before the deadline, although unknown to others the deadline was extended and others were called to place their name in the hat. Stratford kids don't scare Smith, kids have the right to have a good and decent coach.......maybe Smith likes black,orange and white, maybe he would like to coach against the other metro coaches....I know he was nominated and put in the who's who's of American teachers so I don't think he's scared of the classroom....I think he want's for the job opening be based solely on merit....best fit ....hardest worker....Richard Campbell and Dorris Armstrong are great fits for Hunter's Lane and McGavock, no questions....could Smith be a good fit for Stratford?

You win, I lose.....Smith is not right for the job..... Smith should concentrate on CPA....I keep telling him that...thank you oh Roman one....I sign off and ride off into the sunset....remember this .....5,000 yards....60 touchdown passes...2003