Unaka Cloudland.... Woulda Coulda Shoulda

krichunaka

If you go back on prior post you will note "chubslayer" and x man might be related. ha ha. How about it UL you've been wrong before on assuming. Remember? As for this thread, what is the point? I for one am sad that neither Unaka nor Cloudland made the state tournament. I am happy for some of the kids from Betsy. For Vince Redd, B.J. Miller and Charles Peters, how could you not be happy for kids that have played for you in the past. As for Elizabethton playing county schools here is my take. A former coach and AD one time told me that the reason they would not play is that Elizabethton had nothing to gain and everything to lose by playing these teams. Well my question is this? What do the fans want to see? And what would the players like to do? It's like the Hampton and Unaka deal where they are not playing now. Trying to explain lack of kids, injuries, numbers and so forth for the Unaka football program has resulted in Hampton not playing Unaka in any sports starting with baseball this season. Now whine over that for a while. It doesn't matter the kids from both schools want to play basketball or baseball. Let a few adults decide this matter and take the entire fun out of what was a great rivalry. As for a Cloudland and Elizabethton football game. You would sale out Brown-Childress Stadium before the day of the game. Can you imagine the excitement that would be created toward this game. Unaka and Elizabethton in basketball. You would have to get to the gym at 5:30 just to get in. Folks does this not say enough? I love playing Cloudland, Hampton, Happy Valley, Elizabethton and Johnson County. Why? These are the kids that I see everyday on the streets or in the Walmarts. I love to watch other kids play besides the ones at Unaka. The only chance I get to see them play is when they play against our school. As for Elizabethton good luck in the state tournament this year. Don't let a few bad apples spoil a team that has some very good kids on it. And as for the fan that attacked my son, why not list your name and accomplishments on here? I'm sure we would all be impressed.

[Edited by coachtdog on 3-12-03 8:00A]

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that is hilarious, deputydog. a good mark for you. i've been in a good mood lately, so i think i'll give out some good marks. but seriously, my "whodunnit" days are over. all that twinetickler stuff left me exhausted. all i know is that xball's posts were there last night when i first responded to rolltide (i must be getting soft cause i can't believe we agreed and i gave him a good mark).

about this unaka playing betsy controversy...i was just defending the honor of the county schools when i made that argument...i don't particulary want to reopen that debate because we all know how very fruitful it has been in the past.

congrats to UH, betsy, and the cloudland girls. as for the city vs. rural crap,- well it's just laughable. to those of you making comments like that on here: read your own posts and then read the words of krich, rolltide, and others. take note of grammar, cohesiveness, etc, etc. i think you're losing the argument. just my obervation. anyway, keep posting....i'll just keep laughing....

[Edited by hablogarbaje on 3-12-03 8:55A]

[Edited by hablogarbaje on 3-12-03 8:56A]

Guest treadwaycrazy2

why the freak does everyone in Unaka insist on writing a two page essay on a topic of their liking pertaining to Unaka vs. Elizabethton. Unaka had a good season. Rusty played good. He was not MVP. and by the way Elizabethton people are stupid sometimes , if it were up to the players this year in Etown football we would have played Cloudland twice like Hampton. We respect them but i know we would have beaten them. They are a GREAT , AMAZING team for who they play , and i respect them but we could have beat them

I dont understand why Unaka wants to play EHS in basketball. No offense but this year and last we would have beaten you all pretty bad. We are just a bigger team. You all are good and will probably be good for a while. As for Cloudland why do they always want to come out of the sticks and come to the city and play football. We would have beaten them as well. You just have to stop and realize that the city schools are a little supreme to the county. It is kind of like Science Hill playing UH. Unaka you all are a good basketball team dont get me wrong and I know most of you but you have to admit you wouldnt beat us. You all do give us a good game in baseball all the time. That is one sport that we do play Cloudland and Unaka in. So there you all get to come to the city every Spring.

It's about what the fans want to see. I'm not going to get on here and debate if Eliz. would beat Unaka in basketball or would Cloudland beat Eliz. in football. All three schools have good programs. But it sure would be nice to watch these elite programs play against each other during the season. I am not one to bash Betsy I just love to watch games where the fan base is great for both teams. Good Luck to Betsy in the state tournament.

Guest KillsAndThrills

I agree with coachtdog. It's all about the fans. If fans want to see a particular match-up then they are most likely going to get on here and post about it, am I right?

[Edited by KillsAndThrills on 3-12-03 4:28P]

Let it be known I was not downing your son. I was agreeing with xballx on the whine and cry that continually goes on. sorry did not notice the joke comment at the end. You all have to admit that you could not even allow Cloudland time to celebrate their district championship for 5 min. without babbling about why a certain player did not receive a conf. mvp. Worring about individual accomplishments and not the teams is what it looked like to this individual. :)

Guest treadwaycrazy2

Coachtdog, I must say i totally agree with you . there is no doubt in my mind that no matter the outcome we should play each other. I mean , how much money would each school make? and cloudland in football ? GEEZ Why the heck are we not doing it???!!!! it kinda pisses me off , some people in Elizabethton should start booking these teams or atleast try their hardest to go get them . I know i would be at a Unaka Etown or a Etown Cloudland game and i am sure you would too Tim . When are these people gonna learn to do the right thing

Forget this MVP junk, those $8.00 pieces of hardware has ruined many teams, maybe it's time to forget all tournament and MVP awards and get back to basketball being a team sport. I think a coach should vote for the player that played best against his or her team. That is if we have to have these awards. #### for Playing Eliz. most years the county schools have held their own in basketball, but this year the cyclones have a dream team and the county schools were all rebuilding. As for football cloudland might compete but sheer numbers would probably wear them down.I'm swallowing a lot of pride but maybe we should support the cyclones in the state, now that's not going to happen but eliz is carter county and we should support them over hamilton or some other county.

Guest webb24eagle

Im sorry for bringing this whole topic back up but I feel the same way toward Cocke Co. We at Cosby always want to play cocke co. which is a 3a school but we never do. There is always trash talked between teams on "what would happen" and if we lose to this team that this team beat then there better or vise versa. I really don't know who would win but I think it would be a great rival that is a meare 10-15 miles away. Some things are just suppose to stay the way they are I guess. O well

O K, I know when I'm beat. I remind myself that this thread was to congratulate the Jr. Bucs; and, cruel as it seems, it actually made the suggestion that the Rangers and Highlanders blew their chances to further advance their basketball cause. Unaka or Cloudland, or both, should still be playing, but for whatever reason(s) our season is over.

Now, how that led to this, "We got a Wal-Mart, and ya'll don't," "Rusty Chambers is a joke," We would have beaten you in basketball...we play good teams, you play bad teams...etc., etc., is a mystery; or as Don Imus often frustratedly says, "You just can't make this stuff up."

I began another thread a couple weeks back (that thankfully ran it's course), concerning the voting question. You should by now notice that that thread no longer exists. It was fun, but it's O-V-E-R...over.

As to all the Elizabethton vs Unaka/Cloudland/Happy Valley infusions: well, thanks to many of you, that created a life of it's own, even though it had no relavence to this thread. But if it makes you feel better...

But most disheartening: My friend, coachtdog, has once again breathed life into the "Unaka won't play Hampton in football" soap-opera. So, where shall we go from here? Should we, at every turn, assault, either directly, or by insinuation, the man selected to try to re-build the football program at Unaka? Haven't you had your fill? Can you not for a single moment give Coach Ensor a chance to get the football program back on it's cleats; or are you still not persuaded enough that football is the one sport in which you CANNOT improve consistently by "playing-up?" Unaka's football team cannot, on a yearly basis, compete with even the average AA schools in our area...not now, and maybe not ever; and losing to the Bulldogs 36 of 40 years does not appear to be much of a rivalry. Now, if that justifies Hampton not playing UHS in baseball and basketball, that's their prerogative?

But did you ever answer the question as to why Carson Newman - a perennial National Title Contender, but in their true classification - doesn't play The University of Tennessee in Football? It is, after all, less than an hour's drive from CN to Neyland Stadium. Is it not ok with you, tdog, that CN play only teams with which they are truly competitive?

You do realize that in order for many of the lowly single A football programs to become better, then they absolutely must have athletes from the other sports play football. It seems to work for Mark Byrd. Do you know of any such athletes at Unaka, tdog?