Shelbyville vs Riverdale

defender08

first of all let me make a note that officiating was poor- i think both teams will agree with that. there were a lot of hand balls called on shelbyville that i didn't think were hand balls. There were fouls called that weren't fouls, as well as many that were fouls; yet, weren't called.

both teams came out very strong and it appeared, at first, that shelbyville had the upper hand. however, i think shelbyville made some very careless errors, and riverdale capitalized on them. shelbyville had trouble with their pace- they couldn't get good consistent passes in because the wings, forwards, and midfields were all moving at different speeds. they also had difficulty winning them in the air, but that is a problem that we have always had. i think that shelbyville has an outstanding defense, but riverdale's #7 was just faster than our defense. I did notice shelbyville's sportsmanship and respect- despite all the fouls and officiating (or lack thereof) i think they all did an outstanding job of keeping their heads up and mouths shut. I am not sure that would have been the case in past years. if my advice is worth anything i would suggest for them to slow down, control the ball on first touch (obviously), and make the easy pass rather than dribble til you lose.

Riverdale 5, Shelbyville 1

Shelbyville played well much of the game, but failed to capitalize on scoring opportunities. Riverdale didn't play that well, but did capitalize on their chances. Memphisone is correct in that speed was a significant factor. Brian Campbell, #7, was able to get behind the defense repeatedly and scored 4 times. Travis Copen, #4, also used speed to score a goal. The teams were much more evenly matched than the score indicated.

I agree, Shelbyville showed good sportsmanship.

[Edited by Borodog on 3-15-03 11:27A]