Unaka fan mourns the death of Ricky Whitehead

starman

Many basketball fans remember #55 Ricky Whitehead from the 2001 Cloudland High School basketball team. Ricky died this week as a result of an automobile accident while driving home from work. Ricky was a very good kid on and off the floor. Ricky played the game very hard and was well respected by his teammates and those he played against. I watched Ricky play and coached against him from the time he came up through the youth club ranks at Cloudland. He was such a great young man and very polite. He has played against my son for a number of years. We at Unaka still cope with the loss of our dear friend Brandon Asher who we loved so dearly and was such a close friend to so many of our kids. As you remember Brandon died as a result of an automobile accident at the age of 17. Although Cloudland and Unaka are big rivals in sports I just want to say sometimes we need to step back and be thankful for the kids that have given us such joy throughout the years in sports. My heart is saddened for the kids at Cloudland and the Roan Mountain Community due to the loss of Ricky. May God bless his family, friends and those that grieve his loss in the days ahead. Our prayers and condolences go out to each of you.

You are so right Tdog. It is a great loss to lose a person like Ricky. I had the priviledge of knowing Ricky for many years and greatly enjoyed being around him. He played the game the way it was supposed to be played, HARD. This is just another sad reminder that life is precious and one should enjoy their loved ones every second of every day. Words do not do justice at times like this but they do bring back good memories. My thoughts and prayers go out to the Whitehead family. And to you Tdog, a good mark for you.

Guest landerballer17

You both are so right, I have known Ricky for a pretty good while, and although I wasn't that close to him, I know that he was always a fun person to be around. He was loved by so many people. It is horrible that he had to end his life at the age of only 18, I wish the best for his family. I know it must be very hard to deal with somthing like this! :) He will be missed very much. It just goes to show you that at any time you could loose someone close, so always be prepaired!

I am sure that if Rick and Robin were to read this board, they would appreciate your sentiments. I just got back from the services, and to my 19 years of life, it was probably one of the harder things that I have ever had to go through and I cannot even imagine the range of feelings that his family is feeling right now.

As teammates, and more importantly friends, me and Ricky and so many others went through alot together through high school basketball turmoils, that seem so insignifigant now in retrospect. But one thing about Ricky is- he always had a smile on his face. While everyone else grew up and lost it, Ricky maintained his child-like innocence. Though most of the community probably, like me, has not been able to come to grips with the loss of Ricky, it is hard to feel to sad when you look back and remember that wide smile Ricky had own his face no matter what was going on- good or bad.

Ricky will never be forgotten by those who knew him, and though the burdens and sadness seem hard and long now...I can just see Ricky smiling down from somewhere...

We miss you Rick.

Guest landerballer17

I was also at the services, it is just hard to believe that he is not here anymore. You are right, Ricky did always have a big smile on his face. Rolltideroll, i think that i have an idea of who you are, so who are you?

Alot of people were having a hard time at the funeral the other night, he was very loved. But i just hope that Ricky is in a better place. Yes, Rick and Robin would appriciate what people are writting on this page for Ricky. To the family: Good luck, and you are in my thoughts and prayers!!