NCAA - First timer

reftn

Folks...

If you are a true wrestling fan, taking the time (even if vacation time) and the money is MORE than worth it!

I had never been to the NCAA's before. I wont miss another.

Without a doubt, I picked a great one to attend. I was fortunante enough to sit with the Army section, and really gain an experience. We were high up in the cheap seats (not bad seats, but up there), and rocked the house. We had other schools asking our help (cheering) for their kids!

Oklahoma State was totally orange at one end of Kemper Arena. What a homer, first thing I thought was East Ridge!

We asked some of the Okie fans about Rusty, they smiled very big, and said "Next year."

Gable was there walking around. It was incredible. Everyone there was about wrestling. Period. I never saw more Califlower except on a salad bar.

The professionalism of the event was awesome. It looks very much like our state does now in McKenzie.

OHHH...and the competition......

Phenomenal. You have see this part to totally understand. I think there were 330 competitors. Of those, all were likely mulitple state champs, even #330. So, imagine a state tourney with nothing but Kellers, Simposons, Dunnings, Blackmons, and on and on. It is like that from the first whistle. Singleness of mind, going for the gold.

And, yes, I did see a blown call or two. One was really bad.

There was one guy there, from Nashville. I think his name was Simpson. This guy brought back something to all of us in Nashville. Making All-American was enough, but Phillip continued, winning 6 matches, and....

PLACING 3RD IN THE NATION.

The national champ won 5 matches. Phillip beat a defending national champ, seeds #9, #5, and #2. It would be difficult to create a harder path to 3rd in the nation. The incredible part here, is Phillips willingness to come up among us and let us share in it. I got a handshake and a hug and little All American sweat on me! PRICELESS!

We had an impromptu dinner on Saturday nite (THANK YOU BOBBY DAVENPORT). More than 35 to 40 attended. These were not only family, but guys who had worked with Phillip as a youth, ex wrestlers of dad/coach Frank from as far back as Kirby High, to Hendersonville, to MBA. Anyone who wanted to attend was welcome.

With so much divisivness in our state these days, it was wonderful to see everyone drop their colors, close ranks and whole hardedly support one of our own.

Next year is St. Louis. Get your tickets early!

reftn

Here is a post from the TWF website with similar comments about the fans from Nashville and other parts of Tennessee in attendance in support of Phillip:

tennwrestling

administrator

(3/24/03 1:13:27 pm)

Reply Tennessee fans rattled the rafters and security

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tennessee fans rattled the rafters and security officers at Kemper Arena as Phillip's supporters could be heard shooting, "ARMY, ARMY, ARMY" ... From my vantage point on Press row adjacent the Oklahoma State's section with their nearly 600 fans, those Tennessee cheers coming from the opposite end of the arena dominated the noise created by either the Oklahoma fans in their bright orange shirts or any of the other 16,000-plus spectators during the medal rounds on Saturday morning.

Immediately following Simpson's final victory, he flew up the stairwell (...way up there) Climbing to Section 216 where he greeted, embraced and thanked his supporters. In just a short time five security officers who were obviously alarmed by the boisterous crowd gathered around Tennessee newest hero arrived in riot gear. Without further ado, they were assured that the Army was already there and all was well.

Seen among Tennessee's Cheering supporters were: Kenneth Hammonds - GP and Will West - Brian, Whitt and Raymond Dunning - Cory Williams - Greg Wingo - Ralph Williams with his brother, Paul and son, Nate - Tim Terry and Chuck Bean - Matt Gorham - Paul Simpson - Mike Apple - Bobby Davenport and son, Jeremy - Rick Lowry - Joe Blair and his Dad, BR Blair - Jarrod Ruez - Jon Hill - Johnny Masters - Michael Moharri and his Dad, Sid - Gene Davis - Frank and Margret Simpson and sons Patrick and William - Jim Simpson - Jimmy Hiller - Steve Henry - Gordon Connell and his son, Lee - Jake Yost - Mike Newman - Cody Cleveland - Danny Gilbert - Tommy Fairchild - Mike and Jonathan Simpson - Bill Garrett - Jeff Lester - Ted McCaslin - Mike Weldon - Mike Henderson and his son, Mike, Jr. - Phil and Sue Simpson, Ed Abercrombie and his son Eric - Ryan Scott - Bud Sines - Tony Bradley and Scott Nailen. ~sld

Edited by: tennwrestling at: 3/24/03 2:05:16 pm

I too, was lucky enough to see Phillip wrestle like a champion over the weekend. The only thing that impresses me more than his intensity on the mat is the unassuming manner in which he carries himself off of the mat. He is a true gentleman. From the other end of the Kemper Arena (yes, I was with the Okies...), I watched him at the conclusion of his consolation finals. Just as he did two years earlier at the Senior Nationals in Delaware, Phillip rushed to his family and supporters at the conclusion of his victories to allow them to share in his moment of greatness. It was great just to get to enjoy this moment through my binoculars from afar. Congratulations to this fine man, his family and supporters.

Legman

Great account, Reftn. It is that kind of reportive enthusiasm that helps folks who missed out to also share in the spectacle. As another poster responded, he's starting the ball rolling to be in St. Louis himself next year. Thanks for the story.

[Edited by Asylamer on 3-25-03 8:55A]