high jump

c

I wouldn't say that Chris Wilson has conceded that he isn't the best jumper in the state. He's cleared 6'9" and Bowman has cleared 6'10". There's also the matter of "pressure" jumping. Some people thrive on pressure (e.g., setting records, winning big meets, third attempts, etc.) while others don't handle it as well. While I don't know either of these gentlemen, I'd love to go to a competition where they were in head-to-head competition. Good luck to both of them as they go for 7 feet and hopefully higher.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Kenwoodrun,

I sure wish my son could come to your meet next week but I'll be out of town at a meeting and his school won't bring him. He just returned from a meet at University School of Jackson where he cleared 6'2" (just missed at 6'4"). We're going to Knoxville Saturday but it's tough for a jumper to do well in two meets that close together. You said in an earlier post that he might do that magical 7' mark someday and I'm starting to believe it with the kind of freshman year he's having. I still think he will do 6'4" this year if he stays healthy (maybe I'll dream of 6'5" or 6'6" since there's a freshman in Long Beach, California that's already done 6'6"). I just wish he had a place to practice. We're considering moving to the Nashville area so he can develop in the high jump and the pole vault (perhaps the decathlon also). We're looking at Ezell-Harding, Goodpasture and David Lipscomb at this point and I wondered if you had any insight into the track programs at those schools. Good luck with the upcoming Kenwood Relays. It sounds like it's shaping up to be a great event.

Congratulations to your son on his success so far this season, and I think it's wonderful that you are considering a move to Nashville. As far as the schools you mentioned, while all three are very good schools, the only one with a half decent track program in David Lipscomb, who is known more for their middle distance. In my opinion, if you want your son to develop into a top high jumper/pole vaulter (and maybe a decathlete), my recommendations would be Franklin Road Academy, Brentwood High School, and possibly Brentwood Academy and Montgomery Bell Academy.

FRA has won back to back team titles, and has produced the state champion in the decathlon for the past three years. Their top pole vaulter was also state champ in '02.

While you would have to move to Williamson County (Brentwood) in order for your son to go to BHS, their field events program is second to none. One of the assistant coaches there is Gary Kinder, who was an Olympic decathlete in '88. You can read more about Brentwood's successes in the article on page one of coacht.

Both BA and MBA are great programs and always produce some of the state's top pole vaulters.

As far as Ezell and Goodpasture go, there is not much to say. Goodpasture always has some good throwers, but no hj'ers of pole vaulters to speak of. The same goes for Ezell.

I don't know how big the money issue is for you because FRA, BA, and MBA all have an annual tuition of over $10000. Both MBA and BA can provide financial aid to athletes, but not FRA or your list of three. These are just some recommendations of mine if you really want your son to get the most out of his ability. If you have anymore questions, just ask, because I can say more on all of the programs above.