high jump

c

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Freshman (14 years old, not 16 like some) Derek Smith of Chester County has jumped 6 feet both indoors and outdoors already. He jumped 6' feet at the Jackson Central-Merry facility today (Saturday, March 29). This is the worst facility I've ever seen. It was dangerous for both track and field competitions. He had to jump from 6 steps instead of 10, on wet asphalt that was soaking wet with cracks and grass everywhere. If he stays healthy he might well go 6'4" or better as a freshman with a decent facility and weather. If he had a place to practice, he might really excel (and, yes, I'm biased because he's my son).

Adarius Bowman was very close to clearing a state record 7'3 today at the Briarcrest Invitational. He appeared to touch to bar with a cleat on his spikes on the way down after he had already cleared the bar! He is definitly a threat to break the state record by the state record.

Guest kenwoodrun

Well then! I guess this ends the discussion about Chris Wilson being the best high jumper in the state. Bowman apparently will be king. Too bad they aren't in the same classification, could you imagine that dual?

BTW, anything interesting happen at Briarcrest? If you went, what did you think of the facility of this year's state meet?

He ended up clearing 6'10 - he went on to the state record height, because it was chilly, and he wanted to do it before the wind started kicking in. Also, it was a TSSAA event where he could set a record. He started at 6'4, cleared it on the third attempt, and won the competition instantly. As for the meet, it went well for most teams considering the weather. Notre Dame seems to have good sprinters, along with ECS. The facility is top notch, but it's literally in the middle of no where and abandoned houses - the nearest food is Kroger - about a mile and a half down the street. Other than that, there seems to be enough seating, but a little smaller than GPS.