FILA Junior World Nationals in Chattanooga.

wildcat1

FYI-----This post appeared on the TWF site this morning:

Army to compete in FILA JR. Ntls. World Team Trials...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Talked to Coach Frank Simpson tonight and if all goes as planned, Coach Barbee will have several of his Army team wrestlers in Chattanooga this weekend. Phillip will be wrestling at 163/lbs. and Patrick at 145/lbs. If you missed out on Kansas City, this event is surely the next best thing.

The champion in each weight class qualifies for the 2003 Junior World Championships in Istanbul, Turkey, August 22-29. Wrestlers who are the champions in both freestyle and Greco-Roman will be asked to choose one style to compete at the Junior World Championships.

In freestyle, Ben Kjar (Bountiful, Utah / Sunkist Kids), Shawn Bunch (Leavenworth, Kansas / Dave Schultz WC) and Zack Esposito (Three Rivers, N.J./ Gator WC) are all eligible to defend their titles. (NCAA note - Phillip scored a big upset when he beat #2 Zack Esposito with a 9-4 win.) Very likely we could have a Zack Esposito (Defending Jr. FILA Champ) vs Simpson re-match this weekend.

Bunch wrestles at Edinboro Univ., Esposito currently competes at Oklahoma State Univ. and Kjar attends the Univ. of Oklahoma.

Last year, Kjar won both freestyle and Greco-Roman titles at 50 kg/110 lbs. Bunch won his title at 58 kg/127.75 lbs. and Esposito won at 69 kg/152 lbs.

Greco-Roman champions eligible to return include Kjar, Darin Harris (West Valley City, Utah/Dave Schultz WC) at 76 kg/167.25 lbs. and Joe Hennis (Mims, Fla./Titusville PAL) at 120 kg/264.5 lbs.

Hennis competes at Edinboro Univ.

Hope you all come and support this National Championship event. Let them know that we do take wrestling seriously.

Plus, this is another opportunity for you guys (born 1983-1986) to wrestle some of the big boys. ~ sld

Edited by: tennwrestling at: 4/1/03 8:00:55 am

well Matrat

As most on here know my name is Jason Gessler. I wrestled at Warren County til my junior year then my family moved to Tullahoma. I am working on getting back to wrestling and hopefully goin to UTC next fall. The only reason i did not get to compete this year is because of a shoulder injury i suffered the first match of my senior year. But of course i finished th season without telling anybody how bad it was. now i have two pins in it and i am about ready to go.

Glad to hear that Patrick is goin to be coming to the tournament. And even better to hear he will be in the same class as me. I am looking forward to seeing and wrestling him again. Godd luck Patrick. See ya this weekend

Thursday night is registration for and weigh-ins for greco from 6:30 -8, and they will begin wrestling greco tomorrow morning at 8 i believe. You can also register for freestyle on thursday but you can't weigh-in until friday when you can also register for the freestyle portion. Freestyle wrestling will not begin until saturday morning with the finals being on sunday.

congrat's to jake yost for his 2nd place finish! (i found the results thru a link on tnwrestling.com.) keller and kcknight made it to the qtr finals.

i heard that simpson had had a concussion before the tourney and then hit his head again at the tourney. can someone fill us in?

it is sad that (apparently) nothing was communicated to the chattanooga newspaper about this. there was no coverage of the event and no results afterwards.

tim j

[Edited by timj on 4-7-03 10:34A]

At school last week, Phillip was walking the parade grounds while talking to one of his teachers. Somecadets were playing baseball and it veered off line and the line drive struck Phillip in the head. After his first match, he was feeling the effects of the concussion and had to withdraw from the tournament. He was taken to the hospital but checked out ok. His second round match would have been against McKnight.