OJ Mayo

Cocky

UNBELIEVABLE

This kid is on a different level than his peers. I played against him when he was 11 and he was playing like a high school player then. I honestly believe he could turn out to be like Lebron. The first year he played the right age group in AAU his team won nationals easily winning the national championship by 30. If you get a chance to watch this kid, do it, he will be a pleasure to watch.

His team won the 13 and under AAU title last year at Wooddale High School in Memphis, TN. He lives in South Point, OH but plays for a private school in KY. South Point is in the southern most part of Ohio. It's 5 minutes from KY and 5 minutes from Huntington, West Virginia. OJ Mayo's team did not win the AAU title by 30 when he was 13, he played on a team called the Ohio Express I believe. Their colors were gold and yellow, and although they were a very good team, they didn't even make it to the title game. He repeated the grade because I believe he was home schooled and when he transferred to high school he was able to go into whatever grade he chose to (within reason). He chose to be in the 8th grade I assume so he would be much better than the other kids and he was going to a private school and maybe he thought the academics would be somewhat challenging. Even though he was a year older, AAU rules look at what grade you are in. You can be 15 and play against 14 year olds, as long as you are in the grade with 14 year olds. Many people cried foul at him for doing this. His team did win the national title last summer but he was 15, so it is hard to say how good he is compared to guys his age since he doesn't play them in AAU. I worked the statistics book and the shot clock for his games and he is a very good player and can do it all, but its tough to say how good he is since he doesn't play in his age group...and when he did play in his age group, his team did not win the title. Yes ESPN did a documentary on Kentucky Blue Grass Basketball (A 3 part series) and his named was mentioned...

Hooper-Did you play for the Blackhawks?