What will be the best teams in 1-A this year?

orngenwhite

Well i love julia or whoever you are. I got a letter from usj and i wipe my you know what with it. So now what boy. O yea i dont know why bruceton is in top 10 if ya cant beat union city in a scrimmage ya are sure as heck aint gonna be usj or ezell or even us so shut your mouth. Its ov! ;)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cloudland returns nearly all their linemen, plus Jeff Lunsford (suffered major leg and foot injuries in opening day auto accident last season), who coach Lunsford calls his "best lineman, by far."

Oh, and did I mention Dakota Benfield?; and another guy....oh yeah, Mark something... can't remember his last name, but you certainly shouldn't rattle his "Byrd" cage. ;)

Cloudland's always been good in this region, but a two-year stint in 2A really opened up their squad and their defense has improved over the years. A move back to 1-A was probably the best move they ever made, after losing to Austin-East in 2000 second round (won 3A in 2001, while Cloudland was 1A runnerup).

Cloudland is playing a tough Virginia schedule, since none of the local teams would play them here except for Hampton, Cherokee 2-4A (not really local) and Sullivan East 1-4A. But the 'Landers play the cream of the crop in Virginia ball.

In Virginia there are three classifications during the regular season, A, AA, AAA - but during the playoffs they split each class into groups: A (Div. 1-2), AA (Div. 3-4), AAA (Div. 5-6)

Cloudland plays defending Division 1 (A) State Runner-Up Appalachia (14-2 last year) from Virginia, who has won seven state titles since the 80's and won four or five in the 90's. They are kinda like a Riverdale type team in single-A Virginia ball. The 'Landers also take on Rye Cove (D1-A) who was ranked in the top ten all last year and lost to Gate City in the first round before Appalachia stomped the Devils. And former state champion J.J. Kelly (D2-A), who had a 7-3 record during regular season I recall and is a very good squad.