CSAS/Page score? Anyone?

mtnman

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Page and Chattanooga School for the Arts & Sciences played an exciting game Saturday night. It's too bad that Page's Sweeper scored a brilliant goal which was taken away after being called a high kick by the linesman. That would have made the game 2-1 at the half, and would have changed the complexion of the game. It's hard to imagine a high kick could be called when the player's foot wasn't above his waist and no opposing players were within 5 yards of him. Officials should regulate the game, not determine its outcome.

It was also quite evident to even the casual observer that the 2nd goal by CSAS was about 2 yards offsides. Of course the same linesman in question was unable to make the call because she was still at midfield trying to catch up to the play.

Another reason the less-talented underdog team CSAS managed to win was due to the fact that the right side of the field for Page's offense in the second half was 6 inches under water because of a drainage problem. If you neutralize the right side of a high school team's offense, everyone knows that you've just made it much, much harder to win.

Regardless, CSAS won 3-2 on a flooded field, and earned the right to play #8 Christian Academy of Knoxville on Wednesday. To get to state, you need talent, good coaching, and a little bit of luck. Tonight, CSAS had just enough luck to get them through. But a win is a win. Congratulations.

Edited by peterw

That's the most ridiculous thing I have ever read. You just blamed a loss on the officials and the weather. CSAS is a good team. I would know since my team has played and beat them three times this season. The fact that you didn't completely destroy CA must mean that your team is not that good. Tonight our starters were pulled with the score at 6-0 with thirty minutes to play. Don't be at all suprised if CSAS wins against CAK in Memphis.

Edited by JumpAround

ca played without their starting sweeper due to a red card against page and that would explan the 6-0 score. as far as csas and page . page plays a control game/passing game which requires the ball to roll on the ground. page had control of the game until the 2nd half when the rains came and the field had standing water covering the it. the ball due to the water stopping the ball would not roll or bounce. playing in the rain or on a wet field is fine this was beyond that. it's a shame with so much at stake, the game was played on field in that condition. of course we know who has control of stopping and starting a game. i have to question the reason for resuming play on a field that players could not complete the functions of playing soccer ( running and passing). the called back goal was called by the line woman and with the center ref standing in full view of the play allowed his linemen to over rule him after he had already awarded the goal. women should not be officating a boy's / men's game reguardless of sport. they are not physically or mentally capable of getting the job done. enough of all that . give the csas coaches credit for playing a style to off set the field conditions. csas is a good team, they played a kick and run game. as a fan of the game i would have enjoyed watching the contrast of styles on a playable pitch.

women should not be officating a boy's / men's game reguardless of sport. they are not physically or mentally capable of getting the job done.

Hey Neanderthal (retiredcoach), the year is 2003. I especially like the "mentally capable" part, especially considering all the obvious grammar and spelling mistakes in your post. Nice job.

I'm tired of people making up excuses about the refs and the field, both teams had to deal with the conditions. I play for page and all i know is that we did not come out playing the way we know how to. Both teams had plenty of opportunities, we (Page) just couldn't finish ours. Good Luck CSAS and everyone else heading to state. I just wish we could be there with you.

Zach Durbin #21

Edited by durb21

as an athlete i know that there are many many things that can determine the outcome of any game whether it be a baseball, basketball, football, or soccer game. officials are often blamed, so is the weather, so is bad luck. the page vs csas game had it all. obvisiously both teams were talented and both showed enough heart and determination to prove they belonged there. the game was just pure beauty for the first half. most players were staying under control and playing good soccer. grant it there were a few cards passed out but the officials kept the game under control. then came the second half, the beginning of the end for page. rain started pouring from the sky and when i say pouring i mean it. the game was postponed because the officials couldn't see the players. everyone quickly bolted for shelter and the rain was waited out. finally about a half an hour after the rain started it let up and playing was resumed. the second half was awful. from then on it was just nasty. there was so much water on the field that nobody could do much of anything. csas figured out a way to score pass to a guy off sides in the air. couldn't fail unless you get caught. which they didn't. with that goal the game worsened. both teams started using the sloppy conditions as an excuse to play ruff and tuff football. i'm talking australian rules football. the only way to make it down field was to rule through the ball, through the puddles, and through the other team. page was at a bit of a disadvantage because their right side was swamped. not only was it under water by a few inches but thanks to some wonderful last minute "repair" work (supposedly fixing the drainage problem) it was mud and hay. players could barely run on that side of the field, for sure they couldn't stop, so no way were they going to be able to play socccer. and when miss ref saw that she should've done something. so the game went on a despite all the hardships each time was able to score. csas somehow scored another but page fought back tieing the game in the final minutes. wait sorry i forgot about the goal that wasn't a goal even though it was called a goal. if 15 had made a dangerous play it then maybe the goal should've been called back. MAYBE. nobody was hurt nobody even came close to getting hurt, besides who takes away a goal in a substate tourney on anything less than offside (which they didn't do anyway) or a blatant foul. but i digress, it was a good game to watch, i'm sure the soaked fans had a great time. especially the guy with the horn. i mean they came expecting a good ole soccer game and got half a soccer game and mud wrestling extravaganza 2003, saturday saturday saturday buy your tickets now, special rates for kids so come on down. oops good luck csas you'll need it.

-Ptweezy-