Top Posters In This Topic

your are correct junkie, and both of these girls played a

lot of travel ball.

I know also a girl that played high school ball and she

played just a little travel ball that has signed, so it works

both ways.

on the other hand, it would be hard to imagine someone

not playing either to sign a softball scholarship;

although with creative recruiting, anything could happen.

:D

Just wondering if anyone knows what percentage of softball players get to sign with any college. The most i have heard any college signing at one time is about 3 or 4. So now how many are left with out anything after all those years.

Just a guestion

Edited by catchman

Good question catchman. I also wonder how many good players fall through the cracks and don't get noticed or has a bad day when the recruiters are around. Also in response to my own question, I know a girl that was recruited by UT Martin that only played school ball.

Just another question. why is it that a girl sits the bench all year, then plays travel ball [ A ball ] and is the one of the best players in that age group, [ we all know about grades and attiudes] less say they are very good,

This why some of the college coaches i know are starting to watch more travel ball. Some of the high school team bench warmers are as good or better . sometimes, than who is on the feild.

I know for a fact that happened to 3 girls that play for a high school that goes the the state almost every year'

Maybe thats why they didnt go to the state this year.

Just a question.

Catchman,

You made a statement that is a little wrong. I believe you said "more and more college coaches are (BEGINNING) to watch travel ball." WRONG! Most college coaches watch travel ball and every now and then a game or two of high school ball. They don't have time in the spring to watch high school games as their teams are playing at the same time. How often do you see a college coach or 2 or 3 at a high school game. Go to an 18U A or especially an 18U "Gold" tournament and see how many coaches are there. There are 20-30 at the Gold Tournaments and up to 150 at the Gold Nationals. (Mostly D-1 coaches). Quite a few at 18u A tournaments and a lot at the 18U A Nationals. They see the best at one place from across the country instead of maybe one player on a high school team. This saves time in recruiting for them as they could possibly fill their roster from one tournament.

Of course, I don't mean to offend but ask the girls that have played or play 18u A or Gold and see if this is correct! They can tell you!

Also, I was at the state recruiting. There were several coaches there. Small schools could attend, JUCO, NAIA, etc. This was a dead period for NCAA recrutiing until after the NCAA Womens Championship. Thought you would like to know!

Edited by sftblcoach

sftblcoach you are 100% right, i know about these coaches being at the 18, and gold games. My point was that in spite if some of these high school coaches , playing favorites, some of these girls get scholarships reguardless, Two girls that i have worked with for about 4 years just signed, one played alot of ball the other set alot. Both got the same amout of money.

So if your a high school go head and jump on me, like i said every time iam on the players side i get jumped.

Catchman you say that college coaches are starting to watch travel ball because high school coaches don't play the best and play favorites. That's hogwash. First of all college coaches rarely watch high school ball. They have always followed travel ball anyone that thinks different knows very little about the process of college coaches evaluating talent and recruiting talent. If the team you are refering to has been to the state as many times as you say the coach must be doing something right. Here's probably what happens: one of your students comes crying to you that they are not getting enough playing time and your response is possibly "that coach is crazy for not playing you you are such a good player, it's not your fault oh great A travel player it's that dumb high school coach's fault, they don't know anything, here pay me for some more lessons and maybe next year the crazy high school coach will see just how good you are." Most high school coaches I know, and that number is very high, play to win and play the players they feel will get the job done. I know the coaches that take their teams to the state year in and year out and they are successfull because they do the right things. I am an avocate for the players as well but some people need to be a little more realistic with the players regarding the player's potential. A lot of player problems occur because a kid has heard how good they are from some people when in reality they are only average at best. It must be the coach's fault.

Edited by std

Catchman, I know what you mean, my example is not a softball player, but a baseball player. My brother didn't make his high school team, he tried out two years in a row, but being a shy guy the coaches didn't know his name and they cut him. Now he plays division 3 baseball for Maryville College. He's a pitcher that doesn't really play much until they play summer league baseball. Now they usually take all their pitchers and most of the rest of the team to play summer league, and they get a dad to coach it. Well my brother last yeear was the 3rd pitcher in the roatation for the summer league team and he was definetly the best pitcher on the team with the 2nd most innings pitched and the lowest ERA. Now my brother is also a genius of sorts, he has a 3.9 GPA in college as a junior, he's majoring in biology and the only class he got an A- in was art. So therefore he misses a lot of practices due to labs and the more important things (school related). Therefore the coach doesn't understand the abilities that he has and he never gets to pitch in the regular season. My brother was doomed from the beginning I think, his first traveling team never let him play because, "he was at a higher level than the other guys, and they needed to catch up" and when the coach told him it was his day to pitch he'd "forget". So my brother never got a real chance to shine anywhere. He's a great pitcher, especially considering he only has two pitches, a change up that drops off the table and a fastball, but he never really gets to impress the people he really wants to impress because he doesn't ever get a real chance, and even if he does get a chance he proves himself and the coach doesn't do anything about it. In traveling ball I remember one game he pitched, he trew a no hitter, he never pitched again the entire year. At MC, he's gone into the game as a relief once or twice when no one else seems to be able to handle the other team and he gets the other team to ground out. I don't really understand why they didn't/don't play him, and I'm not sure who it angers more...me or him, but I really feel sorry for him because he's never had a real opportunity!

std your hogwash remark does not deserve a reply, you must be a high school coach. because of your ego remark. Talk about give me more money. if coaches could or would teach these players the how to,s, maybe club k would not be so busy.

So in best intrest of coacht i will not read or reply to your remarks again,

OK every coach in here jump on me again because when you jump me your giving some else a rest.

Catchman, I think STD is just trying to make a point that some players are not as good as they think, or as people may lead them to believe. Most college coaches watch travel teams more than high school because they can see the best talent in one place. Most really good players play summer ball. I have seen many players that are PRed at some school as being the best around, only to find out they are only so-so in the big picture.