Can Mt. Pleasant Win some this year?

Guest sandlotjunkie

Guest sandlotjunkie

Can the Tigers contend in 2003. They got off to a good start ending a 15 game losing streak by defeating Zion 27-0. Any win is a good win no matter the opponent but can they win in Region 6? I think so. Coach Walt Smith has this Tiger team headed back to where it once was. Thats contending for region titles and playoff positions.

I hear Dugger is still on the staff, as an assistant.

Walt Smith is doing a good job, and it will be interesting to see how he does against the CA Bulldogs next week. Both teams (Mt. Pleasant and CA) beat up on Mt. Zion in their openers.

Why is Lewis County dodging Mt. Pleasant this year?

Why is Lewis County dodging Mt. Pleasant this year?

Stanford?

Are you anal retentive? Lewis County dodges no one! We even tried to schedule Pigeon Forge, Gatlingburg-Pittman, Seveir County, Dollywood and Branson, Missouri but they were all full. The only reason we don't play Mt. Pleasant is because they didn't have enough Hotels to house our throng of fans who like to "take a town over" when visiting!

We would schedule Warren County but the liability bond required to enter the stadium in McMinnville is enormous and it would require three straight weekends of Krispy Kreme Doughnut Sales to cover expenses.

M.P. has a very good player base,but if they are going to win this year they will have to show more self control,last nights game was a comedy of errors. Maybe it was first game jitters. They did show a lot of intensity and was real fired up,that is something that thay have not had in the past. M.P. is young 5 seniors only 2 that start so they should grow through the season and mature. Ronnie Dugger is retired the Dugger on staff is helping out mostly as trainer and with the equipment I don't think thay are closely related. The reason H'wald is off the sch. is the addition of Eagleville to the region. Region 6a now has 10 teams M.P.'s open date was week one there was know place to put H'wald. That ended a 51 or 52 year streak of playing each other one of the longest in the state. Any one who saw last nights game had to be impressed with MP's athletic ability but their execution was not very good especially the 2nd qt. I was impressed with #3 and #81,but many players had their moments. How is the Zion player who was injured our prayers are with him and his parents.

Donhaney is right about Mt. Pleasant not being the same as it use to be, but it's not because of Wolaver and Dugger being gone. It's because of long-time Tiger announcer Marty "The Body" Roddy being gone. I had to listen to the game at work Friday night and it was a totally different than it was last year.

For those of you who don't remember, last year the big wigs at the radio station here in town fired Marty for missing a scheduled game. That sounds reasonable but the reason he missed was because he was working his third job as an employee for the fine City of Mt. Pleasant. You see there was a large flood that day and everyone's sewage was backing up and Marty was called back in to work that evening by his supervisors to help save the city from running over with human excrement.

Many of us Tiger fans paid tribute to Marty the day after he was fired by placing posts about him here on CoachT. For those who have forgotten I just wanted to remind them of this great loss.

Here's a poem someone gave me shortly after the news of Marty's dismissal that they wrote about the legendary announcer.

WITH A VOICE, YOU COULD HEAR ALL THE WAY TO RIDGETOP;

PLAY BY PLAY FOR TWENTY-ONE YEARS IT DIDN'T STOP.

WE HEARD TWENTY, FIFTEEN, TEN AND FIVE,

YOUR VOICE WAS OUR EYES,

AND WE COULD SEE, TOUCHDOWN MP.

BASSHAM ROLLS RIGHT, IT WAS A LONG THROW DOWN FIELD TO JEFF CLARK,

FOR A MOMENT NO ONE KNEW IF IT WAS CAUGHT.

THEN WE HEARD TWENTY, FIFTEEN, TEN AND FIVE,

YOUR VOICE WAS OUR EYES,

SO THANK YOU, MARTY, WHAT A RIDE, IT'S BEEN A PARTY, FOR US ALL.

YOU CAN'T IMAGINE HOW OUR HEARTS POUNDED WHEN YOU'D CALL,

TWENTY, FIFTEEN, TEN AND FIVE,

YOUR VOICE WAS OUR EYES,

YOUR VOICE PAINTED US A PICTURE,

OF ALL THE LOSES AND THE WINS,

AND IT'S SO HARD TO IMAGINE,

WE'LL NEVER HEAR YOUR VOICE AGAIN.

God bless the Tigers and Marty Roddy!