Chester County 28 - Fayette Academy 14

TheBoredGuy

Man, if you want to talk about a tale of two halves...

Eagles led 21-0 at the break. Fayette did very little offensively, as the Eagle D got into the backfield and disrupted the option. Would have probably been 28-0 had there been 10 more seconds on the clock, as CC got it down inside the 5 as time ran out.

The second half, though, was all FA's. To say CC came out flat would be an understatement. Apparently this is a recurring problem... play a great first half, and pack it in for the 3rd quarter. FA got a quick score in the quarter and dominated time of possession. CC ran all of 6 plays from scrimmage in the 3rd. The 4th quarter wasn't much better except for the defense picking it back up, especially DE Wes Tedford who had two huge sacks. FA cut the lead to 21-14 early in the 4th, but CCHS upped it back to a 14 advantage after forcing a fumble and recovering on the Viking 10.

Overall, as an Eagle fan, I was not pleased with the effort in the second half, or lack thereof. Last week against Riverside was the same way. I guess it's a combination of things, but it's got to change and quick. This is a game that they almost let slip away.

And hats off to Fayette Academy for a hard fought game. They never quit. And Wes Kennedy is one heck of a football coach. I can now see why they've done so well since coming to the TSSAA.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heard Coach Cupples on the radio and they acted like moral was down a little. Cupples said he "was going to remind the players they won." Also saw where you said FA had sucess passing the ball...I believe I have been asking that question!! :D Sounded like a good game though, and maybe it will humble the CC players and get them back to Earth where they can put it all together.

On the tale of two halves thing. They are developing a what could be dangerous pattern. But I personally think the reason is stragety. Coaches adjusting at halftime, while CC relies on same thing in the first half. Good thing for CC that they are coming out of the gate like wild men in the first quarter and getting a big lead to hold on to.

Good to see CC go 3-0 for the first time in a LONG time, but thier going to need more than just a big 1st half against Huntingdon/Mckenzie.

You are right, Coach Kennedy from FA is a good one.

Well, I noticed a few things that you pointed out, particularly with the passing game. They had too many receivers getting open. Some of it, I think, had to do with the fact that we were expecting run, run, run, so when they passed it was like it caught us off-guard.

I'm like you in that I hope this serves as a wake-up call. FA got the momentum early in the 2nd half, and CC really couldn't get it back. Our sideline reporter told me after the game that the players couldn't believe what was happening... well, when you decide not to play in the 2nd half, that's what happens against a well-coached team.

If they don't find a way to keep the intensity up for 48 minutes on this coming Friday, it may not be pretty.

I agree with you that this should be thier wakeup call. But the players/young fans were calling me crazy for thinking exactly what you saw and what you are thinking now. Have to find a way to keep confidence (not cockyness), or things could start rolling downhill like it has in the past. CC is 3-0...everyone should be excited, not down after beating a good FA team.

One point that I think needs to be made here is, a team has to learn how to win. Truth is, these guys have been on teams that have gone 1-9, 3-7, and 3-7 in their high school years. Now, they're in situations where they are playing with leads, not playing catchup, and I think they're going to have to learn how to do that. Even in the 3 games we won last year, we were down at halftime in each one of them, so it was always a case of the Eagles making the 2nd half comeback. Now they have to learn how to stop determined teams like FA who scratch and claw their way back into a game and take advantage of a drop-off in intensity.

Next week will be interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing how we match up with the 'Stangs. And you are right... let's chalk this one up as a learning experience, be happy with the win, and get better each week.

It will be interesting to see how they match up with Huntingdon. I agree winning is a new concept in CC from the years past, but I think its more of "learn how to close the show" concept. Im talking about the whole team, coaching staff included. Seems like to me that both the players and coaches just assume they will roll over the team in the 2nd half like in the first half. So when other teams adjust at halftime, CC isn't prepared for the adjustments and just hang on and hope for the big play to secure the win. If it works, it works. But could catch up to them against Huntingdon.

Either way, good job CC.

I dont believe so. The players seem in good shape. CC tends to just do the same thing they did in the 1st half, which isnt as effective after the teams adjust at halftime. CC coaches seem to have a gameplan and stay with it throughout the whole game, regardless of what the other team does in 2nd half. But I could be wrong.

Have to give credit to the teams CC has played, they have some good coaches in Haney (Trenton), Golf (Riverside), and Kennedy (FA.) Making the adjustments at halftime seperate ok coaches from great coaches.

Chester County is simply immersed in a pschlogical battle in which their players have yet to develop that constant winning attitude. We had it when I was leading the charges at Fairview and you can have it in Chester County. Don't give up and keep your feet moving in circular motions and all will ramificate brilliantly!

I would like to give Chester County their due respect. They are a much better football team than the ones I played against in the past. Their defensive front did a wonderful job of stopping the option. Bodiford and Thomas only broke one run a piece and FA is not gonna win many games if more teams shut down those two. Also, CC didn't do a horrible job stopping the pass. Really, only one receiver for Fayette did any damage against the Eagles, and that was the TE Labarearre. As far as Chester County slacking up in the second half, I think it was more of the fact that Fayette starting mixing up their offense a little bit instead of being so predictable. Once they started to get momentum it is tough to stop dangerous offensive playmakers once they get into a rhthym. CC did a wonderful job of stopping that momentum with the fumble instead of giving FA the opportunity to make a big play. However, I do not believe that Chester County laid down in the second half, I think that Fayette just started executing better on both sides of the ball.