Portland Unsportsmanlike Conduct!

tchsno1fan

Am I the only one who see's this as a problem? The last two weeks Portland has had a player ejected from the game. First against Macon County and last Friday night against Trousdale County. And furthermore, there was a player (I will refrain from mentioning his number) who after shaking hands gave the finger to the Trousdale County stands.

I know that players run their mouths to each other on the field. But that is where it should end. There is no need for playing dirty, trying to instigate a fight, late hits, or flipping off the stands.

If a player can't control his temper, perhaps a week or two on the bench may put things in perspective for him.

What do you think.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you know the players number then report it to the school. I am certain at some schools this would be enough to get the problem resolved. With Portland I don't know. It should be up to the coaches to control such behavior. If the officials see this type of sportsmanship or lack of, they need to control it immediatly.

I agree put the player on the bench.

Say it like you see it!!

Edited by DeeOne

Am I the only one who see's this as a problem? The last two weeks Portland has had a player ejected from the game. First against Macon County and last Friday night against Trousdale County. And furthermore, there was a player (I will refrain from mentioning his number) who after shaking hands gave the finger to the Trousdale County stands.

I know that players run their mouths to each other on the field. But that is where it should end. There is no need for playing dirty, trying to instigate a fight, late hits, or flipping off the stands.

If a player can't control his temper, perhaps a week or two on the bench may put things in perspective for him.

What do you think.

I would like to say from my experience that Portland has some of the nicest fans around,BUT the players do seem to be a bit undisciplined,The game was filmed,so i'm sure Coach Perry saw the incident,lets see how he handles it,

PAPPA

Portland, the last few years, has "pushed the envelope" in the games that I have had the priveledge to watch. Fans are great, but the late hits, contact away from the ball or as the play is ending, can be a little over the edge. Now I'm all for physical football and blocking to the end of a play, but a few plays I witnessed would draw a personal foul flag from me.

Two ways to look at it. Many times the extra cirricular activities take your mind off your assignment and job on the field. Trash talking to excess and taunting creates a situation where your mind isn't on the game. The more individual battles you win with your trash talking opponent, the more his mind is on the talk and not the walk.

been awhile uh? here's how i see it. what happened to the unsportsmanlike penalty? why all the sudden are players just thrown out of the game without giving them a penalty first. since when did players start getting thrown out for clipping? is there some sort of conspiracy out for portland this year that we are plagued with refs who try every way in the world to hand the game to the other team and hurt us the next week by throwing one of our player's out? i'm not saying this is the reason for the loss against white house or trousdale because anyone who attended those games knows that it shouldn't have come down to that. portland should have won both those games, but gave up too many big plays.

i'm sure no other team ever shows emotion after a hard fought game by letting out a little frustration. i'm sure no other team ever has late hits (maybe if you studied past film you'd see where a lot of that goes on during portland vs. white house, it goes both ways. )i'm positive that other teams just get up and give each other a little pat on the butt and tell them good game, but personally i am glad that portalnd football is a little more intense and they play with a little more aggression. as for the finger thing, you're right, it's not necessary, but once again i'm sure it's happened before, and i can be positive that if it was seen by the coaching staff at portland they will do everything they can to prevent it from happening again because they are class people who won't stand for that.

No one is picking on Portland, people are just commenting on the facts---the coach needs a little control--I was at the game Friday night and saw both sides getting upset,what makes a difference is our coach pull our kids to the side lines and put a stop to it on our part--boys will be boys but they also need guidence--the energy and frustration they had on should have been used to win the game --this is just a game someone will win and someone will lose --its not the end of time--play the game to win but do it with class and sportsmanship.

bsp2e,

Aggression and physical play is ok. An occasional problem can be understood. This is two players in two games. There is no call for it, and you can't explain it away calling it "a little frustration". Vulger behavior can't be condoned.

Portland didn't act like this a few years ago. Portland's program is better than this.

I am not going to claim I know all about P'land football, I can only comment on the games I see, and what I see isn't good.

Tell it like it was/is?

Ok, first it is not necessary to have a personal foul penalty before ejecting a

player from a game. Depends on the severity of the infraction.

Second the other player that should have been ejected from this game, and shot

the birds at the opposing fans was # 44. Don't have the name, gave my

program to another fan at the game.

Change of behavior from years past? Probably so, then they were winning

and king of the hill. Hard to swallow getting beat by a "little single A team"

three times in a row. The single A term is their description, not mine.

All comes down to disipline. Portland appears to be lacking. This is supposed to

taught by the coach as well as football.

I am at practice on the creekbank quite often, and see this taught as well as

the game. I see the Jackets at McDonalds, etc., and when they are spoken to

they reply "Yes sir, or No mam".

Anyone can be a good winner; losing takes a bigger man.

:P

mamajacket-

that's your opinion and your entitled to it. i, for one, will never except losing. i will never get over it and it will never be just a game. that is my opinion and i'm sure some football players think the same way i do (at least i hope so). you see, losing to me is not an option and i will never be good at it- call me a sore loser if you'd like, but that is just the way i am and will always be.

as for the point you made about control, you have no idea what punishment that boy received, so don't assume anything. all you know is what goes on with your team so don't act like you know what goes on at other places.

lgw711-

i know its not necessary to have a personal foul penalty before ejecting a player, but if you were at either of these games you would know that is not what these boys deserved. they deserved a penalty but not ejection. it was not necessary for you to put the boy's number on the board. i'm sure you have never made a mistake in your life or ever been so frustrated that you acted with a response that you later regreted. the point is, stuff like this happens all the time everywhere. if i was to dislike a team because of the way the players acted after a loss, then i wouldn't ever watch another high school football game. in my opinion the aggression and frustration is what makes the game so much fun. its what sparks the rivalry and what makes high school football undoubtledly the best. in my opinion there would be something wrong with a player who didn't act frustrated after a loss. i am not condoning what the boy did because if he did what you said he did, then yes it was uncalled for, but don't assume that discipline is not taught at portland. i am glad that you go to trousdale's practices, but how many portland practices have you been to? you don't know anything about how the coaching staff at portland disciplines, so don't make assumptions. the coaching staff at portland consists of very moral men who are interested in coaching football and more importantly interested in investing in their player's lives. i've seen it firsthand, so don't tell me that there is a lack of dicipline there. you are wrong. and again, you can say that losing takes a bigger man all you want, i guess i'm not very big because i will never except losing. its just not an option.

Edited by bsp2e

No one likes to lose but it is a part of life and also a part of playing sports(no one wins everything)And if this problem had happen only once I would agree with you but we all know it is a problem.Its ok not to like to lose but the way we act says alot about our sportsmanship, if you go thru life trying to fight everyone or everything that beats you, you will have alot of bad days ahead.I have watch my sons play and yes it hurts when things don't turn out like they want but hopefully it will make them stronger and a better person later in life.And about the players punishment I am sure the coach took care of it but 2 weeks in a row the same problem different kid or not its a problem.