After college

k_hughes

Flipin4OHS--

Another option not mentioned here is to become a cheerleading sponsor at a middle/high school. My sister started cheering when she was 7 and cheered all the way through college. After she graduated she took a teaching job and was immediately given the job of cheerleader sponsor.

Her girls go to a place in Owensboro, Kentucky called Cheer Zone. It is there they practice their stunts, etc, which makes them better school cheerleaders as well as protecting the school and her from liability issues involved with high-impact tumbling routines.

In addition to make 200-thousand dollars a year would take more than you may realize. My wife runs her own business and half of what she grosses goes immediately to income and self-employment taxes... so to clear 200K you'd have to make 400 thousand or so.

Ultimately if owning your own cheer gym is your dream... then by all means prepare yourself as much as possible in high school and college by taking many business classes... and GO FOR IT!

Find a job working in a similar facility. Learn what you like and dislike about it.

Decide if, for example, you really want to get up at 4:30 in the morning to open the doors for a 6 A-M workout with a bunch of sleepy-eyed 7th graders.

It never hurts to chase a dream as long as you're willing to accept there's a chance of failure.

Good luck!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trnbrant- Thanks for the encouragment :unsure: I have thought about being a sponsor for a school squad, but I know that they don't get paid nearly enough for all the work they put into it. Plus I don't want to be a teacher. haha. I know it sounds kinda silly that I think I can make 200k a year..but believe me, I know that it is gonna take a lot of work to do that. But I have thought about this more than you probably think. I have talked with my coach, too. And he told me that as long as I have been cheering and as much as i know about it, with ambition and hard work I could easily run my own gym one day making as much or close to what he makes. And it really is my dream to run my own gym...that is what I would LOVE to do more than anything. I plan to go to college at the Univ. of Alabama and major in Athletic Training with a minor in business management..which I think will put me on the right track with what I want to do. I have been working at a cheerleading gym called United Cheerleading. I worked there last year and all summer teaching tumbling and cheerleading..I had to quit when school started though because I didn't have time with school and my cheerleading schedule..but I will probably continue to work there in the spring and summers.

FlipN,

It definitely sounds like you have a VERY solid plan in place. Having and sticking to that plan will GREATLY increase your chance at success.

I have been fortunate enough to take something I love to do and turn it into a career. I started working for a small radio station when I was 16... dreaming of covering major league sports and getting paid for it. I'm now 30... and getting paid to cover the Titans and Predators as well as high school and college sports for the Tennessee Radio Network. I hope your passion for cheerleading turns into a success for you just as my love for broadcasting has turned into a great career for me! ;)