Parents & High School Sports

OwlsBaseball

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also know of cases where in a small community everyone knows everyone and because someones family is well known in the communty there child plays a sport and others sit the bench who can play as well or better than the one playing. Alot of politics goes into playing sports I feel in small communtiy's. It is sad to see grown ups Parents,coaches and school personell take away playing time of players just to make a grown up happy. These are kids and they need a chance to play all the same. I don't believe a parent should pay their childs way to play and I don't think anyone involved with the schools should even want to do anything but what is right by the kids. I have saw a ballgame where it was "Senior Night" and the home team was ahead by 20 points. This team had 3 Seniors on the bench that never got to play in ballgames but they had hopes of playing some on this night due to it was their last night to get to play. The coach put in alot of his younger players and did not let any of these Seniors play in their last game but instead played his freshman, soph, and Juniors. Yes the parents were upset and they had a right to be. Some things in sports need to be addressed by the parent and the coaches need to know what is right for all the kids. I don't believe a parent needs to coach but I do feel some coaches are not there for what is best for the child only for what is best for theirselves. What would it hurt to let these Seniors play on their night with a 20 point lead? Alot of coaches say that is the coaches choice and it was but those kids never got a chance. To me that is a shame. If you are ahead by 20 these kids work hard and every child should get playing time. If they are requested to practice with the team they should be treated like a teamate.

• 2 weeks later...

Grad, I'm actually totally new to Ooltewah. I just started here about six weeks ago. My previous school had situations like these, and I've heard similar things about sports here at Ooltewah. I don't know who you are, but I'm sure I'll figure it out someday. I agree with addictedtosports, there is a VERY thin line parents cannot cross, and in my belief, that time is high school.

I have to agree with behappy229. I too have seen this happen. Fortunately, we have a coach now who does not let politics, names, or financial circumstances affect who gets to play. Our coach bases his decision on who puts forth the most effort, attitude, and ability. I have seen it happen in the past, and I am glad we actually have someone now who will not allow it to happen.

I have been on both sides of the parent/coach issue. I may be different I don't know. I coached to win, while playing the kids that deserved to play. I played the best players and race, money, nor anything else changed that. The kids that I coached each wrote me a letter after there senior year and each said I was the best coach they ever had. I don't know about that, but I appreciated the thought anyway. While we worked hard, we had fun. While I did not always get along with all of the parents at all times, we are all still friends.

I can say that after sitting thru 4 years of watching other coaches while my son played high school sports, there are good coaches and there are coaches who need to find something else. Take Willie Tyson from Sside, never says hardly anything during a game, except during timeouts, end of 1/4's etc. It seems at times he is really not there. His teams are always prepared. Evidently he knows what to do in practice. Same with Rick Rudesill from Bolivar. They prepare the kids in practice and then let them play without added pressure. There are others David Russell and Steve Patterson come to mind. I seriously doubt if politics play any role in there decisions either, at least I have not seen it.

Then there are others. One comes to mind that if you go to his church you will make the team and you will play. I have seen him cut better players for one of his boys. Talent or anything else makes any difference. He is not there to win, he is there to control, he is a power freak. I have seen him lose games intentionally by playing "his chosen boys". Oh he is politically correct and playing weak schedules he looks good, but he has and never will win any big games, because the kids do not have faith in him, that he will do the right thing.

He can coach and when he wants to win, he is a great coach. When he wants to be the show and go on a power trip he is awful and everyone knows it. He calls every play every time down the court offense and defense. He is constantly tearing some kid down. He reminds me of Junction Boys. You would think after 9 years with a program, the starting over every year would be over and he could build on what he has developed. No he tears it down every year. He has built nothing. He is tearing down a program that was built for him not once, but twice. It will show soon, as many can already see it. It becomes pretty obvious after a while.

Grad,

I found out who you were.... I won't know you by face, but thats alright I guess. I'll probably be refered to as "Florida". I played in the fall league here at Ooltewah, and I look forward to playing spring ball, so I'll probably see you out there. I'll go to the Oak Ridge game and ask around, so if I happen to see you, I'll introduce myself.

Go Owls!

#6 is a PIMP!!!