Region 3 AAA

paguy

Many people are saying that the game this Friday night October 17 at Walker Valley is for the Region Championship. Is this true? I understand that, if Walker Valley wins they will be undefeated in this region, therefore winning the region. But, Sequoyah still has one region game left on their schedule (even though it is Howard) according to CoachT, and in high school football ANYTHING can happen. So, in essence Sequoyah can win against Walker Valley and still not win the region. Right?

here is the deal i don't know how the tiebreaker would work but look at it like this.walker valley beats mcminn central,howard,grundy and loses to sequoyah ok walker 3 and 1 in region.grundy beats howard and mcminn and sequoyah but loses to wallker ok grundy is 3 and 1 in region then sequoyah if they beat walker they beat mcminn and beat howard but lose to grundy sequoyah also 3 and 1 in region.how does the tiebreaker work? if it goes by overall record sequoyah should be safe as well as walker but grundy would suffer with their dificult schedule

From the way I understand the tie breaker in high school football is as follows:

1st. Head to Head ...... If Walker Valley beats Sequoyah, none of this will matter because they will have been undefeated in their region. However, if Sequoyah beats Walker, there could be a three-way tie (record wise) between Grundy, Sequoyah, and Walker. Grundy beat Sequoyah, Walker beat Grundy, Sequoyah beat Walker (at least in this scenario). Therefore "head to head" wouldn't work.

2nd. Overall record ..... I believe this is next. I don't have all of their schedules in front of me, but actually I think Walker Valley had the toughest "non-region" record of the three schools mentioned. If I'm not mistaken they have Cleveland (4A), Warren County (5A), and Boyd Buchannon (private) on their schedule. I don't know if either Sequoyah or Grundy have a tougher schedule than that.

Of course all of this will not even matter if Walker beats Sequoyah on Friday night. I have watched Walker play and they seem to really be motivated this season. Don't know why, but I do know (by checking their schedule on CoachT), that they have won two in a row on the road and are now coming home (homecoming game). I also understand that Walker can be a tough place to play for the visiting team.

If Walker wins Friday they're 1st, Grundy would be 2nd and Sequoyah 3rd. That is of course assuming that Grundy beats McMinn and Sequoyah beats Howard in week 10.

If Sequoyah wins the tiebreakers will make it Sequoyah 1st, Walker 2nd, Grundy 3rd. Again that is assuming that Grundy and Sequoyah win in week 10.

The loser of the McMinn Central - Howard game Friday will be home for the playoffs if they lose in week 10 as well.

Folks in Grundy are pulling for Walker Valley Friday.

GO MUSTANGS!!!!!

Del.