DCA is going to stroke CPA

FPendleton6306

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yet another article about the game I read this morning. It talks about the how this game still means a lot to DCA and although you may think CPA has more riding on this game, DCA needs it for pride. CPA has beaten them up the past few years.

Beating CPA still big for DCA

Jeff Lockridge

Staff Writer

Take a stab at which football team needs to win more come 7:30 tomorrow night: CPA or DCA?

It’s not a trick question. Go ahead. Take a stab.

BUZZ!

Wrong answer.

The most anticipated Class 1A game of the regular season is no longer for the Region 5 championship because CPA (3-5) had three of its wins washed away by the use of an ineligible player. But you better believe it’s still a championship game to DCA.

It’s too easy to say this game means more to the Lions. They have yet to secure a playoff berth, something that must be done before they can worry about defending their state title. If CPA can’t win tomorrow, then it may need some help to get in.

Meanwhile, DCA is 9-0. The region title and home-field advantage in the playoffs already belong to the Wildcats. They have treated their last four opponents like Chicago Cubs fans, outscoring them 161-6.

However, DCA has not defeated CPA since its perfect season of 1996. The Lions have reeled off eight straight wins and have a stranglehold on the series. DCA enjoyed a 10-3 halftime lead against CPA last year, only to lose 19-10.

The Wildcats need this game. For confidence. For pride. For justification.

“I think we’re a confident team, because we’ve played some good teams and played well,” DCA Coach Dennis Goodwin said. “Our kids feel like they want to win it on the field. If CPA hadn’t had that unfortunate accident with the ineligible player, then this would have been for the region championship. I don’t think this game has diminished in any way because of the forfeits.”

CPA has played its best football of the season since the forfeits were awarded. The passing game has picked up with quarterback Josh Pollock, who has quietly thrown for more than 1,300 yards, and Travis Sikes has emerged as one of the state’s top junior receivers.

This week the Lions will reveal how strong their defense is. No one has been able to stop the DCA running game. Division I-A junior prospect Mark Thompson and senior Rusty Menchaca have lined up on the strong side and opened huge holes for tailback Chris Wooden all season. CPA must somehow fight off those blocks and wrap up the slippery Mr. Football candidate.

The Wildcats also have junior center Jim Fenwick. He returned last week after missing a month with a concussion, leaving the reins to sophomore Josh Tramel. Linebacker Matt Meacham leads a stingy DCA defense which is allowing just over 5 points a game.

“I think DCA is feeling pretty good right now, and they should be,” CPA Coach David Pack said. “They’ve been handing it to people for nine straight weeks. This is the first time since ’96 that we’ll go into this game as the underdog. We know the next step is on the road against one of the top teams in the state, and that’s pretty ominous. But we feel good about our team, too.”

Our pick: DCA 21-20.

Edited by 4life

LanderBlue & MountainFan,

Some ruminations:

1.) On getting to DCA: If this is your first time, the directions available here on CoachT are quite good. Click here ==> (DCA's Football page on CoachT) and then, click "Directions" in the "DCA Quick Facts" frame. Once you've passed Cookeville, it'll take you about an hour to get to the DCA campus. (Some pointers: #1: Once you're on Danyacrest, KEEP GOING! It'll look like you're in the middle of Suburbia, USA; but, the school IS at the end of the street. #2: Get there at least an hour ahead of kickoff. That's the only way you'll get a decent parking spot; and, you can use the time before the game to greet your new CoachT best friends! (Those Who Stand Above The Rest) But, stay away from CoachT, himself! He has, shall we say, "control issues." (CoachT Takes Over)

2.) On Diet Cokes & Hot Dogs: When you order your Coke, tell them to "hold the ice." The night will be cool and you'll get at least 1/3 more to drink. Their Hot Dogs are OK; but, the Lions' Den has THE best hamburgers!

3.) On your color co-ordination: Wearing blue & gold will allow you to blend in with DCA fans and you'll win the hearts of all the Michigan and Notre Dame loyalists. Wearing purple & gold will endear you to the CPA crowd. However, wearing orange & white will declare to all you know and love great football! (If you don't like any of these choices, contact robjim. Anyone who offers "John Wayne toilet paper" can get you matching sweatshirts emblazoned with "I'm for the Winners!")

4.) On where to sit: Sit together and swap sides at halftime - but start with DCA! That way you'll be around all their excitement for the first half. Then, you'll be around all the thrills and fun of the comeback of the second half!

5.) On your accommodations: My friends have said, "Ya'll come & see us! But stay on THAT side of town!" .....Hmmmm ..... Makes you wonder why at least one of them doesn't offer you a stay at their place.... Oh, dreary me, I can hear my friends' excuses now:

divepix would say you wouldn't like his place 'cause it's all wet, and, besides, he's swimming in work at his office.

OnlineLC would say you wouldn't like his place 'cause you couldn't understand his accent (can anyone???), and he'd end up having to type to you (on CoachT, of course) in order to talk to you. (And would someone PLEASE tell me why OnlineLC has his picture in front of YOUR school??? Did he win a bet, or, lose a bet?)

robjim would say nobody likes staying with him because he always counts EVERYTHING! "You took 32 steps around the kitchen at breakfast, chewed your eggs 87 times, buttered your toast with 12 knife strokes, ....." After a while, it's pathetic.

Bighurt's the one who really surprises me. You'd think he'd be more hospitable with all that room left over now that he and the missus have only one left at home. Gee, y'think y'know somebody.....

What's that you say? How come I don't put you up? Well, ...um, ... it's like this, ... lean close to the screen and I'll whisper it ..... nobody else can hear us, right? Truth is, these guys don't know who "aatiad" really is! Now, you wouldn't have me blow my cover, would you? Of course, not! I knew you'd understand. Maybe next time, OK? Really.

6.) And, finally (for now), I am mortified by OnlineLC's crass attempt to "cure" you of hollering "Go Landers!" NO CURE IS NEEDED! Come over & set on CPA's side and everytime our running back #6, Luke Landers, carries the ball, ya'll scream "Go Landers!" You'll be right at home! (Luke (NOT "Will") Landers vs. Ezell)

So, come up & introduce yourself. You'll see me there!

A. A. Tiad

Oh, one more thing. My expectations (I predict only the weather) are the same as my earlier post: "Ya'll come & see who'll be playing YOU for State!"

:D Great post aatiad... I can't stop laughing. Thanks for all the explanations, and the advice. We are heading down in the morning. Takes about 5 hours and we gain an hour. So I might even have enough time for a little snooze before the game. As for the colors to wear. I think I could at least get away with wearing my "Lander" hat. That way my fellow message boarders could easily tell who I am. I will just have to try not to be captured and interrogated under a heat lamp in a dark room. I will just keep saying "LanderBlue, Roan Mountain Tennessee 37687. :blink:

Great, I look forward to seeing you there. The atmosphere is going to be especially great for this game. I heard from some fellow students the other day that they are planning on installing some fireworks and smoke blowers for the tunnel entrance. Dont know if its been confirmed but it sounds awesome. Camera towers all over the place. Probably a reporter or two there with a mic like last year. I actually got to talk to one just as he was about to go on the air. I LOVE that kind of atmosphere.

Drive safely Landerblue. Hope to see you at the game.

As for AATIAD and 4life, I have a feeling both of you are anonymous in your schools. I don't know who you are AATIAD and from reading posts I am not too sure if the DCA folks know who 4life is.

As for an accent, I don't have one, but I do notice that everybody around me does. With regard to my picture in front of Cloudland, it was part of our vacation in the Smokies and we came back through Roan Mountain, Beautiful part of the country if you have never been.

As for predictions, I honestly have to say I don't know. Both teams have won big over their region rivals (in CPA's case not all the scores counted of course) and both play great defense.

As for AATIAD and 4life, I have a feeling both of you are anonymous in your schools. I don't know who you are AATIAD and from reading posts I am not too sure if the DCA folks know who 4life is.

Oh, my dear, OnlineLC! "Anonymous in my school???" I swoon from your compliment! (I should know better: you continentals are always soooooo silver-tongued!) Still, your inventive flattery should be rewarded with a clue: you missed my age by 30 years.

With regard to my picture in front of Cloudland, it was part of our vacation in the Smokies and we came back through Roan Mountain, Beautiful part of the country if you have never been.

I've been to Moscow; but, I didn't post a picture of me in Red Square! I can't imagine LanderBlue nor MountainFan (nor any other self-respecting East Tennessean) updating their CoachT personal bio info with a shot of them in front of the DCA entrance! The Ryman, yes. Neyland Stadium, of course. Maybe even a curbside check-in at the airport. C'mon, OLC, there's more here than, "We were out driving one day & came across this pretty brick wall with writing on it." You can do better than that. Hey, look, if nothing else, use a picture of a family member. That's what robjim did for his CoachT personal bio pic. That's robjim's youngest son, right? I still say a bet was involved.

aatiad,

I did not have you pegged as a student, that was intended more for 4life.

With less than 20 posts you are new to the boards. If you go back to August and pay your Plus Membership dues which all good CPA fans do for coacht, you will have access to open discussion and see that I was a hero for going to the mountaintop.

Having my picture in front of Neyland Stadium would be a total humiliation for me as I detest UT with a passion, Cloudland is the home of what Rural Tennessee Football is all about. I would also add Collinwood to that list.

http://boards.coacht.com/index.php?showtop...640&hl=mountain

Oh, my dear, OnlineLC! "Anonymous in my school???" I swoon from your compliment! (I should know better: you continentals are always soooooo silver-tongued!) Still, your inventive flattery should be rewarded with a clue: you missed my age by 30 years.

I've been to Moscow; but, I didn't post a picture of me in Red Square! I can't imagine LanderBlue nor MountainFan (nor any other self-respecting East Tennessean) updating their CoachT personal bio info with a shot of them in front of the DCA entrance! The Ryman, yes. Neyland Stadium, of course. Maybe even a curbside check-in at the airport. C'mon, OLC, there's more here than, "We were out driving one day & came across this pretty brick wall with writing on it." You can do better than that. Hey, look, if nothing else, use a picture of a family member. That's what robjim did for his CoachT personal bio pic. That's robjim's youngest son, right? I still say a bet was involved.

No, that's not my youngest son, but it is the picture I use when I'm harrassing TrojanSportsFan on the cheerleader board.

aatiad, there isn't a camera built that can take a good picture of Online!!