Cheap Shot

Nick

Columbia Academy will play a very good Richland team tonight for the Regional Championship. They will do so without the services of their starting center midfielder, #10, Hannah Westmoreland. She was last years Regional Tournament MVP and made the all Region team. As a Sophmore she was finishing her season strong after struggling with a back injury early. She was taken out by a flagrant cheap shot by a Giles County player in Tuesday nights game. No less than four times she was taken down from behind by players making no play for the ball. The last one did the trick. Torn ACL. Possibly career ending. I guess if you can't beat them hurt them. This seems to be a common theme from The Giles County team. Three years ago they did the same thing to Laura Smith of CA. She graduated last year but was only able to compete in a few games for the remainder of her High School days. When Giles County sent their Girls to play in the Rec. League in Maury County, several complaints were filed about dirty play. Some coaches even pulled their teams from the field.

Soccer is a physical game and injuries are sometimes unavoidable, but there is no place for this type of intentional fouling. I can't really blame the players. It seems they are only doing what they are taught. I hold the coach completely responsible. He showed by his actions after the game how little class he has. While the assistant went to confront the fans making a "tunnel" for the winning team, he dissappeared. No handshake, no nothing. Typical actions by him.

I am currently in the process of gathering video tape and statements to submit to the TSSAA and the school board.

My apologies for rambling on for so long on a negative topic, but something needed to be said. This has gone on for entirely too long.

I am glad you feel strongly enough about this situation to stick up to and and try and get something done.

Being a victim of such acts, I believe it is completely unacceptable to display these types of attacks. They happen all the time, but it only takes one time to end a game, season, or even a career.

It is sad we live in a day where we can't put enough faith in these coaches to have some responsibility and be a good example for these kids!

Mind you, I am not saying aLL coaches are this way. But there are many.

Oh well, that's my two cents worth.

Go Owls!

There was a similar situation on the Ooltewah team. Our sweeper was punched in the chest and was out for several games (with an unnamed injury). She's back now, but only due to her hard work and rehab. The refs are just downright terrible. I take that back. The nontournament refs are terrible. I have seen few bad calls in the past 2 games of the tourny.

I would just like to say that Hannah is an awesome player. She is one of Columbia Academy's strongest, and plays from the heart. She loves the game. Now she will not be able to join her team (which i am a member of) in the sub-state game on Saturday, due to a cheap shot taken by another player. She will also be out for her entire basketball season. It was intentional and uncalled for. I think it is unaccpetable when a team is clearly playing dirty, and this is what appeared to be happening. I just wanted to say that I agree with Nick's comments and hope that Hannah heals soon and well....

I'm sorry to hear about the injury. It makes me cringe to think that anyone has to endure such pain, however, it will most likely not be a career ender. I tore my left knee's ACL, MCL, and Meniscus when I was a freshman, and I tore my right knee's ACL, MCL, and Meniscus when I was a junior. I am now currently back playing soccer and am better than ever. She'll be fine, but she'll need your support. So instead of posting that it could be a career ender, how bout I look forward to seeing her next year. Not trying to be rude, I'm just saying to have faith in her because it's amazing what girls are capable of these days. GOOD LUCK HANNAH!