McKenzie-Huntingdon

VOLnWTN

psychorebel,

All of us Rebel fans do know how good Cook and Campbell are and most of us would agree that more of a running game against quality opponents would be a big plus. It's really hard to run effectively out of the shotgun against good teams. We could run the QB under center more but would need to throw from that more too, or opponents would be expecting the run. The line blocking would have to kick it up a bit to get the running game going for the Rebels against teams like Huntingdon, for example.

Even though we haven't run the ball nearly as much this year, Cook and Campbell have both had great seasons so far, as far as I'm concerned!

It's playoff time now and we have to focus on our execution and hopefully some of our early competition will give us the opportunity to run more? We'll see. Maybe, play selection is the key? I'd like to see us try some power sweeps for example. Get our runners to the outside before the persuit gets there. But, things like that are easy for me to say, I'm sittin' in the stands.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree totally w/ both of you. I am not saying that Cook and Campbell are not 2 of the hardest runners in west tn. No doubt they are. To be honest, if we are going to run the ball, we need to do more misdirection b/c it is not our backs not running it is our line not blocking consistently. It may be b/c of fatique since they play both ways. But you can't fault them for that b/c they are the toughest kids I think we have ever had on the line in a few years. If we run a little more mis-direction, it may cofuse a LB here or there and we may pop the long one more often. W/ our backs, if you give me 3 yards and a cloud of dust, most of the time, if we only get 9 yards they'll give us a first down.

Duckman and Psycho, did you guys play at McKenzie and if so when?

Yes, I played for the Rebels from '62-'65 seasons and graduated in '66. Got a question for you volsandtitans1--Huntingdon gave us the slant pass all night last Fri. We only tried it a couple of times and hit them. It's pretty hard to run the ball when your opponent has 7-9 people in the box! They had their LB's up tight to go after Drew and we never loosened them up. If we hit the slant passes for 10-15 yards a pop for a few times they have to loosen the LB's up to stop that and then we can run easier! Right? We have folks on the roof to see these things. I'm in the stands not getting paid to see this-we've got to maximize our opportunities!

Or, am I just old and crazy?

One more question, are your initials D. R. or J. S. ?

Edited by duckman38201

psychorebel,

We are all on the same page here. And play selection is the way to get the job done. There are several things that the Rebels can do to give us the best of both worlds. Just remember that Cook and Campbell have both had great seasons so far. Cody is pushing 1000 yds. again and Campbell has been a workhorse too. But, besides running, the other two facets of football are blocking and tackeling and it takes it all to make a successful team!

Hey, we've only dropped two games! Give the guys a chance and lets see what happens! Then we can talk after the game Friday night.

Edited by duckman38201

Yes, I played for the Rebels from '62-'65 seasons and graduated in '66. Got a question for you volsandtitans1--Huntingdon gave us the slant pass all night last Fri. We only tried it a couple of times and hit them. It's pretty hard to run the ball when your opponent has 7-9 people in the box! They had their LB's up tight to go after Drew and we never loosened them up. If we hit the slant passes for 10-15 yards a pop for a few times they have to loosen the LB's up to stop that and then we can run easier! Right? We have folks on the roof to see these things. I'm in the stands not getting paid to see this-we've got to maximize our opportunities!

Or, am I just old and crazy?

One more question, are your initials D. R. or J. S. ?

No, I am not either of those initials but I think I know who you are. Did you use to film for us?

Anyway, yes you are right about the slant. I saw that a few times. I have seen it a few times this year where I thought the slant was there all night. Against Westview, the CB were playing outside shoulder vs our receivers. What I mean from this, is that they were giving the inside route all night. Almost like they were taking away the long pass to Lacy and Duncan. As far as the Huntingdon game, it has alot to do w/ Drew. He and the receivers have to be on the same page and have to learn how to communicate on the field. However, I did catch the LB's dropping in a zone coverage after showing blitz. So that may be the reason the slant was not thrown as much. Before the ball is snapped the slant may be there but when it is snapped "Poof", instead of having your reciever on a island one on one, there is a extra body. This could explain why Drew was flushed out of the pocket so much. His line blocking broke down to quick b/c they dropped a LB or rolled a Safety up and took out the slant. To be honest w/ you, from what I saw, they for the most part kept 4 down lineman and rushed no more than one at a time. Pretty much saying were are going to take away the pass but us running if you can.

They did seem to rush only one LB when they came but it was pretty often-HUH! Yeah, I filmed for the Rebels for 5 years or so. Even have a "tail". Give me a shout tomorrow night just so I'll know, OK!?

When the other team does what you said H-town did (and I agree with you) we have to go backside slant. Again, agreeing with you, RECOGNITION is the key here. It'll work 'till they back off then we can sick the dogs on 'em!!!!!!!!!!!!

Think I have narrowed you down too. Give me a shout anyway! Usually on the top row near the pressbox and pretty vocal during the game. LOL.

They did seem to rush only one LB when they came but it was pretty often-HUH! Yeah, I filmed for the Rebels for 5 years or so. Even have a "tail". Give me a shout tomorrow night just so I'll know, OK!?

When the other team does what you said H-town did (and I agree with you) we have to go backside slant. Again, agreeing with you, RECOGNITION is the key here. It'll work 'till they back off then we can sick the dogs on 'em!!!!!!!!!!!!

Think I have narrowed you down too. Give me a shout anyway! Usually on the top row near the pressbox and pretty vocal during the game. LOL.

Who is psycho rebel? he was pounding me the other night. anyway, enough about huntingdon. we have to focus on the task at hand, Cheatam Co. From what I have read big and physical and can hurt you running or passing. Defense is going to have to play to form I know they can play at.

I will let you know Friday night who I am. You know me.

If it wasn't for some idiots on here I would you tell you here but you know how people are.