Top Five West Tn Single A Teams?

CATS1

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is he is good as Avery from Trenton? He maybe. I don't remember him from last year. But after him who else is there to help. There is a whole slew of kids for Trenton that are around Doaks. FYI Perry County isn't the greatest this year. The lost Richardson (4th in Mr. Basketball voting) and the Gray kid who averaged close to 20. They are really young. But congratulations any way. Hope yall have a good year.

How good West Carroll is will depend on their guard play and finding someone to score besides Webb and John Taylor. They also only have one or maybe two guys off the bench. If they can get these things then they might give Huntingdon problems, which is loaded. From what I hear, they have their top three scorers back in Hillsman, Bell, and Thomas who all averaged in double figures last year. They also have Donald who should also add double figures in scoring and rebounding plus a strong bench of four to five guys. After getting beat by Huntingdon three time last year, look for West Carroll to try to turn up the heat on the Mustangs.

Trenton will miss McCullar and I really admired that kid, but the guards Peabody has coming up are playmakers. They will bring more size and defense than last years guards. Once they get there feet good and wet, look out. In my opinion there passing skills and court savy will be better than any group around including Trenton's guard tandem from last year. Yes this the team to watch out for. There back and they won't be going anywhere for a while. They have a good seasoned coach also.

I don't think you can say that Brandon Shane is without a doubt the most dominant player in the region yet. There are some other great players in the region, namely Doaks and Strayhorn at Halls. I think Doaks presents the greatest matchup problems and Strayhorn can single-handedly change a game. Brandon is a man out there, who works harder than 99% of the guys on the floor. If you look at him, he's really a two or three, but is playing the four spot. I say those three are pretty close, depending on what you mean by dominant.

Coach Glisson always seemed to be able to make adjustments within the game to get Shane the ball. While I think he can, Coach Trevathan is an unknown and it remains to be seen if he can make these adjustments when teams are focused on stopping Brandon. I say Coach Trevathan can make these adjustments, but not as easily and quickly as Glisson did. The main thing is having a third option step up. Shane will be the first option, with Clint Blackburn second. Last year, you had Vaughan as an option, but he graduated. If a third option doesn't step up this season, teams will focus on stopping Shane and Blackburn.

If the third option arrives this team will be tough to beat. My guess is that Jeremy Smith shows up with more of a scorer's mentality this season. Another to watch might be Brett Reynolds.

Actually, I saw every game that Brandon played last year, with the exception of a few away games, such as Ripley, that were far away. And I did see the tourney games as well. And yes, he was the most dominant player at the tourney, with the exception of Skogen. And I do think he could POSSIBLY be the most dominant player in the region. I simply stated that I think it is too early to say he is clearly the most dominant player. Yes, if he comes out and plays as he did at the end of last year, and he gets the touches he got last year, and others step up around him, he will be the most dominant player. But that remains to be seen. Is there another player in the region I would take over him? Not a chance!

As far as the coaching change, I don't think anyone can reasonably or logically suggest that there will not be some dropoff. Is that a slam on Coach Trevathan? No, not at all. He is simply not as experienced as Coach Glisson was and he has not worked with this team as long as Glisson had. When it comes down to it, I think this team could win a majority of their games without a coach, just based on talent. But what happens when the talent is matched by another team (such as Trenton) is what will determine the season. Can Coach Trevathan and Coach Durden get everything out of this team that Glisson did? What will happen when Brandon, Clint, or Jeremy get in foul trouble? What will happen when Clint is having an off night shooting? What will happen when an opponent denies Brandon the ball? Can a player step up in the post to defend and score? Who will provide depth - they appear to be very thin, only about 7 deep?

The fact is, there are a lot of questions for this team to answer and they would have been there even if Glisson had remained as coach. The fact that he is gone only compounds these questions.

I think Brandon, Clint, and Jeremy are all winners with a tremendous work ethic and will likely will this team to several wins. But sooner or later, the questions will have to be answered to move on in the postseason.

The Huntingdon boys teams has been picked to win there district. With two scrimmage games already they have beat Scotts Hill and Bradford with there second team. 4 of there starters are still doing the football thing. Nothing against these two teams but the Huntingdon team would have a winning season with there second team. With 5 players that is capably of scoring in double digets every night

and a team with 4 starters back from last year. It should be a really good year and best of luck to all teams out there.

Huntingdon beat Scotts Hill by 30

Huntingdon 65

Bradford 37

Don't think that this post is downing Huntingdon because I think when the football players get back they are going to be a solid team and a contender for that region. But I think that a lot of teams second teams can beat Scotts Hill and Bradford. They are not a good representative of what even a average team is in West Tenn. Both are picked last in there district and combined return 1 starter. So don't get your hopes up on the winning season with just your second team.