Germantown Preseason Standouts

best_of_the_west

Who looked good at the tournament? Who will win?

I think collierville looked good and bartlett got better. It was disappointing not to see the marables, but Mike looked huge. Luke Borneman (152) from houston seemed a little slow, but very strong. Brandon Wright (125) of houston upset friedman of ridgeway...he's only a freshman, and they will need the freshmen to be successful if they hope to compete after losing big scorers Shay and Mower. Hammond (112), Hunt(130), Rogers(145), West(152) of Collierville continued last season's success, while Cullen (140) was upset early. Also, scorers Speroff (119), Graham (160) and Faulkner (189) were missing in action. Hansen of Ridgeway looked good. I even saw Kingsbury pick up a few wins. Who did y'all notice? Predictions?

Edited by best_of_the_west

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was pretty disappointing to see neither one of the Marables wrestling, but I think it's fairly safe to say both would have dominated. I think everyone who was expected to perform well did perform well. I wouldn't go so far as to say Luke Borneman looked "slow". It's preseason, everyone looks a little slow. Most of Collierville's wrestlers did well. I think it's crazy the way 145 and 160 stacked up. In the semis at 145, you have Barnett, Bucak, Fryman, and Rogers. Any of those four could do well. Then at 160, you have Borneman, Chism, Sharp, and West, which maybe isn't as closely matched as 145, but should be good matches anyway.

Well Rogers and defending region champ West are out. Great matches wrestled by Drew Fryman and Ben Sharp. I'm looking forward to see Baker of Bartlett be challenged. I hear he's gotten better. Maybe the Sharp-Borneman match will be better than we thought. Hammond and Hunt of Collierville look extremely quick. The points race could also be a little closer than we thought. I would normally expect CBHS and Collierville to go down to the wire, but with the marables out and a few of CBHS' middle weights being upset, and Collierville missing Speroff, Graham, and Faulkner, who knows who will win? We'll see in a couple of hours. Give me your thoughts on the wrestlers of the West.

Hopefully, the complete results will be posted, but here's what I remember of the Varsity Champions from this weekend's G-town preseason tournament:

103 Kent Johnson (Collierville) defeated Britcliff (Collierville)

112 Joshua Baucke (CBHS) defeated Mike Hammonds (Collierville) 6-0

119-125 Chad Warren (Ridgeway) defeated Jonas Gibbs (Ridgeway)

130 Chris Baker (Bartlett) defeated Detrick Rogers (Westside)

135 David Hunt (Collierville) defeated David Bingham (Ridgeway)

140 Ross Minkin (Cordova) defeated Greg Edgington (Munford) 9-1

145 Andrew Barnett (Germantown) defeated Drew Fryman (Houston) 9-2

152 Jeff Mullins (St. Benedict) defeated Douglas Taylor (St. Benedict)

160 Luke Borneman (Houston) defeated Ben Sharp (Germantown) 6-1

171 John Grady (Houston) defeated Thomas Msninch (Cordova)

189 Kevin Pecor (Germantown) defeated Tyler Powell (Bartlett)

215 Uri Hansen (Ridgeway) defeated Chad Netter (Munford)

Hwt Stewart Allen (Cordova) defeated James Lindow (Collierville)

Edited by smwwrest