Lincoln County 29 Smyrna 22

jabbo

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As evidenced by those others posting on this thread,  Smyrna gained all the respect in the world from the Falcon faithful.  Smyrna played the Falcons tougher than ANYONE else this year, including Riverdale and Franklin...and the rematch with Oakland.  Smyrna has a DARN good team, and Wolke is every bit as good as his billing.  If his receivers hadn't dropped passes right in their hands, Smyrna woulda won this game.

The two teams were pretty evenly matched...size, speed, and heart.  Wolke is a better passer than Edmiston.  Edmiston is a much better runner and probably a better pure athlete, but Wolke will surely play big time ball.

Just can't say enough about how well Smyrna played.  It is a shame that they had to lose.

inot2bad I would not say Wolke is a better passer because in our system Michael is not ask to throw the ball 15 to 25 times a game this is a coaching preference..If he were in a different system things might be better for him..Michael only throw the ball on an average of 6 times a game until tonight...furthermore Wolke throws lob passes alot dangerous going to the next level...

Edited by FALCON4

Edminston carried the offense on his back and refused to even show hints of giving up. Edminston was the difference in winning the game and not winning the game. he may not have been the best quarterback on the field(that's a close debate), but he was certainly the most talented athelete on the field. He wanted this win more than anyone else on the field with the possible exception of Smyrna's tailback. Smyrna's tailback was great at making people miss tonight and refused to go down without forward progress. He was running like Gregory was at the beginning of the season. Now Gregory is running like he's scared of getting hurt or that he's become confused/indecisive. He hasn't been hitting the holes with a full head of steam, but just trying to tip to the lines like everyone else has said. He hasn't wanted to block and several times let people run right by him tonight to run Edminston out of bounds when his block would have likely sprung edminston for another 10 yards or easily more. I don't think Gregory's head is in the game like the rest of his team, and I encourage the rest of his team to let him know THEY KNOW he can do better than the effort he's been putting forth. There in the forth quarter he had several runs where he looked like the old Gregory from the beginning of the season. We're going to need that from him every time now through the rest of the playoffs else we won't be in them past next friday night, or the next night he runs like he did tonight. I have to give Smyrna their credit do. They came into town with an excellent gameplan, executed it very well defensively, and almost came away with the big upset. Both offenses struggled to execute consistently and had to rely on mainly on big plays to score. Defenses on both sides deserve all the recognition because they are what made the game what it was. Punt/kick coverage....You're going to have to shape up and do much better in all aspects to help us any little bit you can next week against riverdale. They won't have #7 running the ball back (who gave us complete fits in trying to catch/tackle him) but will have someone just as talented no doubt. Don't let us falcon faithful down. I look for a more balanced attack from here on out as I expect a number of opponents to start stacking the box against us and making us beat them with the pass. Maybe they'll catch tape of Chanze and Dobbins running after the catches they made. Lets hope they do and with a few passes to keep them honest they'll know better than to stack the box, or pay the price. My hat's off to both coaches as they both coached an excellent game. Officiating....I can say that there were a bunch of missed calls for both sides(mostly holds), but at least it stunk equally for both teams. If you missed the game, you likely missed one of the most exciting games in all the playoffs, if it doesn't turn out to be the most exciting game(it'll be darn hard to have a game more exciting and emotion filled than this one tonight). I'm just hoping to try and get a copy of the game on tape. I got a bunch of friends that would love to see it, as well as I would love to watch it again(If anyone knows where I can please let me know). Let's go falcons, Gotta do it again against riverdale! Oh....Just so all you falcon faithful know, On the way out I heard Wolke show a lot of class and praised us for the game we played. He was disappointed they lost, but wished us one thing for next week.....I think the quote was "I hope you all beat the crap out of riverdale next week" With that said, I think we may have won ourselves another group of followers and believers, at least for the next week or so!

Edited by Drewrod4UT

In defense of Gregory, I was talking to some Smyrna fans after the game and they kept commenting on how Gregory followed his blocking better than any back they had faced this year. I know we are used to seeing Josh break away a whole lot more and a whole lot faster, but he was running against different defenses with different speed earlier. Give Smyrna a BUNCH of credit. Their defensive speed was excellent and they were big. Those holes Josh was seeing earlier in the year simply werent' there tonight.

Another example of Smyrna's speed was the number of times Edmiston was caught before he ever got started.

I have to hand it to Josh for the way he ran late in the game. When the game was on the line, he stepped up.

Not related to Josh, the LC punt coverage and kick coverage stunk.

Total yards for L.C. was 517

For Smyrna it was 248.

Smyrna started drives on the L.C. 24, L.C.21, L.C.37,L.C.39, L.C.38, and 4 other possesions started at their 42 or better.

The L.C. defense played an excellent game.

As good as Smyrna was...and they were GOOD, I can't imagine getting the kind of field position they had, seemingly all night. Surely, LC won't let anyone else have that advantage.

Of course, Smyrna's special teams helped get that starting field position, but even so, with that kind of starting field position, I would have thought they would have put up more points. KUDOS to the LC defense.

I think that if LC had gotten that kind of starting position it would not have been so close.....as evidenced by the first Oakland game. In that game, LC enjoyed the same kind of field position that Smyrna did last night.

GREAT GAME.

Well the game is over and guess what The sun came up (at least I think it did it's raining now) and I'm still the same person I was before the game as I said I would be win or lose.

Observations:

We got lc best we did not catch them sleeping. Before the game both teams got together for some pretty intense bring it own jawing in the end zone. Both teams were like fighters before a fight getting their game on.

we lost the game in the 1st qtr with a fumble on 1st and goal at the one. lc scored on 3rd and 14 from their one and this is a 14 point turnaround.We also threw an interception inside the 10.

Smyrna stopped the lc running game just as I said we would now I'm talking about the tb running game, edminston hurt us on scrambles all night but overall I was pleased we broke but didn't break.

I saw more sportsmanship in this game that I have seen in years despite the intensity and closeness of the game I saw players helping other teams players up and patting each other on the back all night. I went to Mcdonalds after the game and every lc player and person I saw shook my hand and were very humble and gave smyrna all the credit none of thie we didn't play well etc

I got what I wanted getting lc into a one qtr game and see who could make a play.

we made some but in the end lc made a play with the game on the line.We did not lose the game we made lc win it and they did. they have my total respect

If you could see smyrna players after the game they were devastated they really expected to win and the closeness of this team was obvious they care about each other and they are the classiest team smyrna has had since I have been around the program.

Thanks for the fun this season smyrna you will look back in future and be proud

I want to thank all the seniors for your leadership especially JT to see you develop into the leader you became throughout the year and have the total respect of your team was great.

We have a great nucleus for next year childs#2 orona#7 johnson#5 Joiner#65 Hinso #18 will be healthy and several other juniors that can play and will finally get their chance next year for quality playing time

Also in closing there is one player that I want to mention that I probably shouldn't but I will he is 34 for Smyrna he is a 185 pound sophmore linebacker and he has as much heart as anyone I know. he threw himself into pulling huge guards and tackles all night and gave his all despite getting a bruised sternum in the 1st qtr and having trouble breathing. He is what high school is all about and lets just say I know him well and could not be any prouder of him

Edited by 82cat

Guest region4fan

I told you guys that this one would be close! You are going to have to start believing me. We walked out of Smyrna's stadium with a one point OT loss. I felt like all the air had been sucked out of my body. I was totally drained. Even though Carlos had gotten way over 200 yds rushing against them, and we had shut down their rushing game.............we lost. But sometimes good things happen out of bad things. We lost our starting QB, and Smith #3 became the starter. He led the comeback charge for us. We went for 2 in OT and lost the gamble. Now I know that Smyna feels like we did that night. In a few seconds, history changes. I know it was a painful ride home. We can all give them all the kudos for playing so great, but the fact remains that Falcons move on and they don't ....just like with the Patriots last week. It is hard to hold heads high when you go home with no prize.

I do think playing 2 close games in a row will help the Falcons in the long run. Edmiston did exactly what I knew he would...he made a believer out of me last year when Oakland walked from the PIT with the OT loss, and Edmiston did the damage. He keeps his head and plays ball. I knew he would be the difference in this game. I knew he was worthy of Mr Football. And all Smyrna I am sure believes it too. Don't get me started on that Bryson kid. He got 2 INTS from Smith last week that could have been TDS. What a playmaker!! Fast as lightening. Why haven't we heard of this kid before?? Please say he is a senior!!

Again, I hate that I missed this one. I hope Smyrna took a big crowd, The crowd was pitiful at our game with them and it was at their place. It was senior nite too. SAD, SAD!! Congrats to the Falcons. And falcon mama...what a birthday present!!

Guest region4fan

Cat, I am feeling for you totally. I think you are feeling what we did for not just 1 week , but for 2 weeks in a row. I knew that Edmiston could get the job done. He is a fighter and he knows how to stay collected. Now you know why I admire him so greatly.

I know who you are talking about, that little #34. Isn't he Brock Willis? I did not know he was a soph. I asked about him when we played yall. I was told that he had a big bro who played for Smyrna back when Powell was there? They said that the brother was huge, and that this kid would probably have agrowing spurt and get as big. I have heard that he has a heart of a giant. I believe it was in the Riverdale game that they were saying he had really come up huge for Smyrna?? It is great to have such a young kid to be there to lead for 2 more yrs. RUDY!!

Was there a fight at the end?

Actually I am very happy this morning I wish the season wasn't over but someone has to win someone has to lose. While being very passionate about high school football I try to keep it all in perspective.

Thanks for your kind words and I enjoyed our spirited discussions and I'm sure there will be disagreements again then including you total wrong headed view on shadowens!---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

but lets save that for next We'll need a common thread to get us going :angry: