itzme

Region 4AA Tournament  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Region 4AA Tournament

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure the average, neutral football fan wants to see a close, competitive game. Such a matchup between two powerhouses deserves as much.

I, for one, just want to see a game without controversy. I know the BA fans are sick of hearing about the last few seconds of controversy from this year's regular season game. Similarly, I know MBA fans didn't appreciate being told their 2000 title (MBA beat BA 8-7) was "lucky" because BA's last second field goal attempt, which was barely wide-left, would have been good if high school goal posts were in place (VU's college goal posts were in place).

The goal posts are what they are, and the officiating will be what it is. Let's hope we don't have any asterisks next to this title game when the game is over.

I'm sure the average, neutral football fan wants to see a close, competitive game. Such a matchup between two powerhouses deserves as much.

I, for one, just want to see a game without controversy. I know the BA fans are sick of hearing about the last few seconds of controversy from this year's regular season game. Similarly, I know MBA fans didn't appreciate being told their 2000 title (MBA beat BA 8-7) was "lucky" because BA's last second field goal attempt, which was barely wide-left, would have been good if high school goal posts were in place (VU's college goal posts were in place).

The goal posts are what they are, and the officiating will be what it is. Let's hope we don't have any asterisks next to this title game when the game is over.

I do not see how you can. Only one team walks off the field with the trophy.

I do not see how you can. Only one team walks off the field with the trophy.

If one team soundly beats the other, there is no asterisk. In reality, there will never be an actual asterisk; the point is I would like to see a game where one team wins outright and there are no lingering comments a la "If the goal posts were of high school regulation..." or "If plays after the clock expired were not counted...".

All right. Here we go.

Brentwood Academy and Montgomery Bell Academy square off for the second time this season and seventh in four years, with MBA holding a 5-2 advantage in those games. Here is the series history:

1995: Brentwood Academy 35, MBA 10 (5A semifinals)

1996: Brentwood Academy 23, MBA 20 - 2 OT (5A Quarterfinals)

1997: MBA 13, Brentwood Academy 7

1998: Brentwood Academy 21, MBA 13

MBA 21, Brentwood Academy 19 (D2 Clinic Bowl)

1999: MBA 31, Brentwood Academy 0

2000: MBA 26, Brentwood Academy 0

MBA 8, Brentwood Academy 7 (D2 Clinic Bowl)

2001: MBA 17, Brentwood Academy 0

2002: Brentwood Academy 31, MBA 6

MBA 27, Brentwood Academy 11 (D2 Clinic Bowl)

2003: Brentwood Academy 27, MBA 24 - OT

MBA leads series, 7-5

Regular season: MBA, 4-3

Playoffs: MBA 3-2

Games I have attended: Tie, 4-4

Ok, so I just HAD to show one statistic where the series was even! Unfortunately, I have not been able to attend a Clinic Bowl since 8th grade due to a forensics tournament in Philadelphia every year. But this year I'll be there, and I can't wait!! Here is a game-by-game recap of the series history:

1995 - Brentwood Academy 35, MBA 10 - 5A Semifinals

Brentwood Academy came into the game nationally ranked (7th) and heavily favored, but the Big Red stayed even with the star-studded Eagles, trailing only 14-10 at halftime. The second half swayed toward BA, however, as the Lance Phillips-led passing attack put up 3 touchdowns on Ricky Bowers' defense and clinched a trip to the Clinic Bowl, a 27-16 win over Eric Locke's Riverdale Warriors.

1996 - Brentwood Academy 23, MBA 20 in 2 OT - 5A Quarterfinals

Brentwood Academy was again ranked nationally (6th) and favored to beat the Big Red, who were led by QB Blake Sloan (Army) and RB Will Bartholomew (Tennessee). The atmosphere was both frigid and feverous as both teams fought fervently for 5A fortitude. The halftime score was 7-7, and regulation ended with the teams tied as well, this time at 10 apiece. On its first overtime drive each team scored a touchdown, but MBA was forced to settle for a field goal the second time around. With victory only a yard away on fourth down, Carlton Flatt opted to try for the touchdown and the 5A Semifinal berth. Lance Phillips nimbly placed the ball into the hands of FB Tito Lee, who barrelled into and through the MBA defensive line for paydirt (or should I say pay-tundra), vanquishing the Big Red in a heartbreaker. The Eagles proceeded to beat Germantown 17-6 and Jefferson County 28-7 to win the 5A title for the second consecutive year.

1997 - MBA 13, Brentwood Academy 7

Both teams had lost a considerable amount of talent from the previous season, but still entered the game with solid records. Brentwood Academy was 3-0 against a light schedule, while MBA was 2-1 with a loss to a beastly MUS squad. The game was a hard-nosed defensive struggle, with Blake Sloan throwing a late touchdown pass to give the Big Red the lead. The Eagles drove to the MBA 20 and were poised to score when RB Jody Locke fumbled the football and MBA pounced upon victory for the first time against Brentwood Academy. The Big Red went on to lose in the Clinic Bowl to Father Ryan 10-7, while BA was ineligible for the playoffs, a ruling later reversed by the TSSAA.

1998 - Brentwood Academy 21, MBA 13

3-1 MBA (loss to MUS) traveled to Brentwood to challenge the undefeated, unchallenged Eagles, who stood at 4-0. Brentwood Academy took an early lead which MBA matched, but the Eagles were too strong in the end. QB Benjamin Walker (Vandy) helped ice the BA lead, and the Eagles avenged the previous year's defeat.

1998 - MBA 21, Brentwood Academy 19 - Clinic Bowl

11-0 BA entered the 1998 Clinic Bowl favored over the 9-2 Big Red, but the events unfolded contrary to the prognosticator's musings. MBA jumped out to a quick 14-0 lead, but Benjamin Walker and company led BA back. MBA led 21-12 at halftime after a missed BA field goal and extra point, followed by an unsuccessful two-point try. These kicking errors would prove to be key, as the Eagles scored another touchdown and drove deep into MBA territory, when the Big Red D-line tipped a Walker pass the intercepted the flailing ball, ensuring the win. If the Eagles had made the field goal or both extra points, they would have changed the result, which was MBA winning the 1998 state title.

1999 - MBA 31, Brentwood Academy 0

In Ingle Martin's (Florida) first year at the helm of the MBA offense, the Big Red had no trouble against BA's young defense. The Eagle offense, led by QB Jesse Kellogg (Austin Peay), could never mount a sufficient attack, and the Big Red won easily at home en route to a state title cruise.

2000 - MBA 26, Brentwood Academy 0

The Eagles entered the game with high hopes of upsetting the Big Red, but those wishes were dashed early after a fake field goal found Matt MacIntosh wide open in the end zone for a 7-0 MBA lead. It only got easier from there for the Big Red, who on their next drive threw a long TD pass to TE Sensing to extend their lead. MBA won, but both teams would meet again in a much more exciting showdown.

2000 - MBA 8, Brentwood Academy 7 - Clinic Bowl

In their second of four Championship showdowns, MBA was heavily favored over the Eagles, who had snuck by McCallie in overtime to clinch the title matchup. BA's defense played like champions against the nationally-ranked Big Red, however, shutting down Ingle Martin until a late touchdown gave MBA an 8-7 lead. P/K Kody Bliss (Auburn) bombed a 55-yard FG attempt over the goalpost and inches wide, giving MBA the title by the skin of their teeth.

2001 - MBA 17, Brentwood Academy 0

In a driving thunderstorm that delayed the game for 15 minutes, MBA's rushing attack of Blake Goodman and Drake Jarman stymied the Eagle defense, whose offense turned the ball over frequently. The result? A 17-0 MBA upset of Brentwood Academy, who would up falling in the Clinic Bowl by 1 point to McCallie.

2002 - Brentwood Academy 31, MBA 6

The Eagles ran over a hapless MBA team, who at the time had lost to BGA, Baylor, and MUS. The lone Big Red score came on a late kickoff return by Michael Koban. Brentwood Academy looked to be the dominant team in D2, and very few doubted their championship potential. But MBA would have something to say about that later in the season.

2002 - MBA 27, Brentwood Academy 11 - Clinic Bowl

In their third championship matchup the Eagles were heavily favored to pummel the Big Red, who had snuck into the finals with a close win over MUS. It was MBA who did the pummeling, however, as their expert offensive scheme led by QB Michael Fisher outexecuted its way to the upset victory. The overconfident Eagles left empty-handed for the third straight title game.

2003 - Brentwood Academy 27, MBA 24 - OT

MBA, ranked 9th in the country, entered the game confident of their ability to win and finish off a 10-0 regular season. Brentwood Academy, however, thought otherwise. The game was tied 14-14 at the half, and the seesaw game continued late into the fourth quarter, when MBA scored on a 16-yard pass to take a 24-21 lead. Brentwood Academy threw an interception on their ensuing drive, and MBA simply had to run out the clock to win. They could not do so, however, going three-and-out and forcing a punt with 51 seconds left. The snap went high over P Brad French's head, and Brentwood Academy recovered at the MBA 35. They moved down to the MBA 9, where the drive stalled. 6 seconds remained as the clock continued to run after QB Tyler Griffin was tackled in bounds. The Eagles rushed their FG team onto the field and K Hunter Palmer nailed the game-tying field goal as time expired. In overtime, BA made a field goal and forced MBA to try the same, but the kick sailed wide right and the Eagles defeated the Big Red, avenging the previous year's title loss.

2003 - Brentwood Academy vs. MBA - Clinic Bowl

We'll know late saturday night!

Amen.

impressive post Wes. my question is...why is this game on saturday and why is it called a clinic bowl?

My guess is that the game is on saturday so it doesn't interfere with the D1 playoffs taking place friday night. That way more officials/fans will be on hand to watch the games. As far as being called the Clinic Bowl, I believe Vanderbilt Medical Center is a sponsor, though I may be wrong.