171 or 189?

catchy54

Does anyone know who will probably be returning at 171 that would offer a good match at 171 or 189 this year in Division I? I know Mike Marable will be returning in Division II, but does anyone know if he can cut the weight or if he'll just go to 189 instead? Any returning medalists goinf to either 171 or 189?

Check www.tennwrestling.com for rankings--that will show you last year's state placers I think. I seriously doubt Marable will get to the weight he was at last year. I saw him this weekend, and he is huge. He should be at 189. Blackmon of Bradley will be good at 171. Campbell of Soddy and Cooper of Bradley will have some great matches this season, if they are both 189 (I'm not sure how accurate the weights are, because most of the lighter weights moved up a weight class or two this year). Other than that, I'm not all that familiar with the rest of the guys at that weight. Maybe Baker of Kenwood at 171 and Hampton of Cleveland at 189 to upset the big-school wrestlers. As far as the west goes, Marable dominates everybody and Faulkner of Collierville (Region 8 champ) is suspended right now. I hope that helps. It's just my thoughts. Good luck this season.

Blackmon should dominate 171. But as far as Mike goes, he will probably stay at or around 189lb. just for the fact that he will more than likely play football in college. Campbell of Soddy and Cooper of Bradley will be gret to watch. As far as Mike Hampton, he quit the wrestling team. He wants to focus on football...But what other way to get ready for football than to wrestle?

Those three pretty much are friends and have gotten it in their head that they think that they are better than everyone? They think that the coaches are going to beg and plead for them to come back. Simply put Al Miller has never been the one to beg for a wrestler to come out. He will talk with them and if they decide not to come out then oh well. We've tried to talk to these guys but they are just being typical teenagers in the fact that they think they know everything. They don't want to listen to reason and that is why they have decided to leave...simply put...but there will be no more "snowballing" effect at Cleveland...