SEQUOYAH 63-ALCOA 59

sqhsballa5

I was at the LC game, and yes it was a slaughter. Sequoyah did score 30 points on the subs for LC in the 4th quarter. Jones is one of the best athletes around the knoxville area, but against LC, when he had trouble getting the ball, it looked like he started pouting. Then he quit playing defense. He did score 14 against LC, but 8 of those were against the subs. If Jones plays as hard as he can, then he will help Sequoyah out tremendously. For the rest of the team. They have no guard presesence. LC who isnt the quickest defense team had 7 steals in the first half and 12 for the game. That is about 7 more then they should have. Also, Sequoyah shoots way too many 3's, They need to work from inside out and they will be more successful. They had a sub who played the 4/5 spot that shows some athletic ability, and if he plays under control then he help take some heat from Jones... Overall Sequoyah will be improved, but I would be surprised to see them win 15-20 games...

I've seen Jones play for two years now and I'm not that impressed. He has good leaping ability but he can't shoot and he lacks toughness inside. Here's an example: late in the fourth quarter against LC, Jones took exception to an LC player pushing him around in the paint, so Jones shoved the kid running up court. At the other end, they go up for a rebound together and knock each other down. Nothing unusual, I suppose, except that the LC player pushing him around the paint and knocking him down is normally the J.V. point guard! To me it looks like Jones backs off from physical play. He can throw it down, but I've never seen him take a charge or take a defender strong to the rack.

And why does Sequoyah play him in what looks like the 2 or 3 spot so much? Watching them during the LC game I couldn't figure out why you'd want to have the kid that should be your best inside scorer and best rebounder running a weave out past the arc with the guards.

All in all, I am very surprised that Sequoyah beat Alcoa.