Region 8 Champions

FES

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would hardly call myself the Region 8 guru. It's hard to predict this early in the season. I haven't even seen the Westside or Bolton teams yet, and I know they will have at least a couple of talented wrestlers. I think Collierville will win the region. The upper weights are so scattered in region 8 that my opinion wouldn't be much good. With that said...here are a few to watch. Remember that these are just the guys to watch. We will have to watch the season play out. Please send me your opinions and comments.

103-no idea--one of the Collierville kids-Johnson or Britcliff-I am just guessing

112-Hammonds (Coll.), Williams (Ridg.)

119-Speroff (Coll.), Gibbs (Ridg.)--anyone know about Groves of Houston?

125-Baker (Bart.), Warren (Ridg.), Hunt (Coll.)

130-Hunt (Coll.), Friedman (Ridg.), Wright (Hous.)

135-??? Harrison (Ridg.) won the Ridgeway tourney

140-Rogers (Coll.), Scott (Ridg.), Minkin (Cord.)

145-Barnett (Gtown), Fryman (Hous.), Bucak (Bart.), Cullen (Coll.)<---great weight

152-West (Coll.) ??? still don't know who will be here

160-Borneman (Hous.), Sharp (Gtown)

171-Graham (Coll.), Grady (Hous.)

189-Faulkner (Coll.), Pecor (Gtown), Ellis (Bart.), Matthews (Hous.)

215-Hansen (Ridg.), ???? Rogers (Coll.)

275-Taylor (Ridg.), Allen (Cord), Lindow (Coll.)

Those predictions seem as accurate as possible for being so early. Andy Groves from Houston will be wrestling at 125 this year. I'm not sure about 135, although I do know that Drew Fryman from Houston dropped to 135....and Luke Borneman from Houston will probably end up at 152, he is trying hard to get down for Blackhorse, where I think we'll finally see most of the weight classes as they will be for the rest of the year. I noticed Hunt from Collierville was listed at 125 and 130, which one is David and which one is Jeff? There's a lot of talent this year, good luck to everyone.

I also wanted to add that I think Rogers and Cullen from Collierville will be at 135 and 140 instead of 140 and 145. Fryman tried real hard to get to 135 and I'm interested to see if he'll maintain it for the whole season. What is a streaky wrestler? Who do you think will stand out at Blackhorse this weekend?

As far as Cullen and Rogers, they are both hovering between 140 and 145. I don't think Rogers will make 135 (I have that on good authority). Then, for duals, Packer (has some varsity experience) could go 160 or 152, depending on how the dragons match up against the oposition. That would leave one of the JV kids to wrestle at 135, or it would allow David Hunt to bump to 135 (he is probably better than any 135 in the region) and the rest of the stacked Collierville light weights would easily fill in. Rogers might make 135 if he's given 2 or 3 pounds, but I don't see him staying there for the entire season. As far as Fryman, I meant that in the past he has wrestled really well at times and below his ability at other times. He is a very good wrestler when he is on. Obviously the Brother Martin and Grissom teams will stand out, but I would look for Chris Baker (Ridg. 125), Andrew Barnett (Gtown 145), Luke Borneman (Hous. 152), and Uri Hansen (Ridg. 215) to stand out and make an impact against the out of state competition.

Edited by best_of_the_west

Looks pretty good. To the list of Blackhorse standouts, I think you should add Andy Groves of Houston (125). Also, like you said, Fryman (135) could do pretty well if he is on a "good streak", and also possible Terrell Horton of Germantown (135 or 140). Good moves in the Collierville line-up. It sounds like they are pretty much set. As far as bumping up David Hunt, have he and Drew Fryman ever wrestled before?

Last year Drew beat David by one point in a very good match, but David has come a long way since then, and I think he and Ben Sharp might have made the most improvements in the region since last year. Also, Collierville will not be at the Blackhorse, they are going to Kenwood this week.

Edited by best_of_the_west

the only changes i would make for region 8 would be minkin will go 145 or 152. he was sucked out at g'town to make 140 but was 152 at ridgeway. barnett is walking around at 142 or 143 walking around, so look for him at 140. baker will be a solid 125 and my bet is he will not lose a match to anyone from this region unless he wrestles up for a duel. fryman is streaky and will go down as the last wrestler in the region to beat baker. he should do well at 35. sharp will flee whatever weight borneman is at and will do well but you'll always wonder what if????????? c'ville appears to be the class of the region followed by ridgeway and houston from the same district. bartlett is alone at the top of the other side. it reminds me of the nba and how the west dominates the east. however, if the planets align, it's a full moon, etc., etc., who knows what might happen !!!!!!!

I think Collierville is one of the best all-around teams that we have seen in a while. As for Baker, I wouldn't be surprised to see him be upset sometime this season. Chad Warren of Ridgeway looked very good at the Germantown Preseason, and Jeff Hunt of Collierville is a good freshman with a lot of talent. I'm surprised that Barnett is only 142/143. He has looked pretty big so far. I would add him to the list of those who made vast improvements in the off-season. Look for him to be a possible surprise at Blackhorse. And by the way usfjim, "flee" is such a harsh word. Give Sharp a little credit. He worked his butt off this off-season.

you're right b.o.t.w., i understand sharp has worked hard and shouldn't have drawn that conclusion. however, i still stand by my baker prediction. by the way, is there anywhere that c'ville has a schedule posted? i know the brothers, houston, ridgeway, g'town and some others have websites.

Edited by usfjim