Gerry Bertier's Weekly Statewide Top Ten

Gerry Bertier

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here we go again! One things for sure, no other team is going to beat MBA in the CoachT message board. Now on the field, it might be a different story. But then if they actually played Riverdale or Hillsboro, that would take all the fun out of it. Oh by the way, I think Rankin is the best Coach in the state, Yes better than MBA's coach. Thats my opinion, wich means as much as anybody elses on this message board.

WaCoJaCo and StanTrott appear to have difficulty being objective. Be nice to them though, it is really painful for them to see these Division 2 schools ranked so highly in comparison to their favorites. :lol:

Here are the unbiased rankings that give them such a pain in the neck:

NATIONAL RANKINGS

USA Today top 25

21. MBA

STATE RANKINGS

Sonny Moore Ratings

1. MBA

4. Brentwood Academy

8. Christian Brothers

9. Hillsboro

14. Kingsport DB

Ken Massey Rankings

1. MBA

2. Brentwood Academy

4. Christian Brothers

11. Hillsboro

40. Kingsport DB

unapproved website rankings

1. MBA

2. Christian Brothers

3. Brentwood Academy

6. Hillsboro

38 Kingsport DB

Edited by kangaroo

I'll agree that MBA's schemes are as complex as you'll see anywhere else in high school football and the Big Red has a great coaching staff, but to insult Hillsboro and Melrose as simple "run left, pass right" - inferring a Junior Pro caliber system - is unfair and incorrect. And to say the MBA freshman (already indoctrinated into the system for three years) always beat Hillsboro's freshmen (fresh out of JT Moore Middle School) is also unsound logic. It certainly cheapens your argument. Ron Aydelott is a very solid coach and I'd like to see MBA's coaches handle some of the issues he deals with every day involving the inner-city kids. How many MBA kids come to school hungry? Don't have heat in the cold? Money for lunch? Rides to and from practice? Absentee parents? It's a whole different style of coaching in Metro. Good Lord, Hunters Lane had a two-way starting lineman killed in a home invasion a week before the season started. It's a different world guys. Don't see many Volvos, Beemers and Expeditions in the Burros' lot after practice.

I did not mean to imply that hillsboro or melrose were somehow inferior because their schemes seemed simplistic, but they really didn't seem that complicated. I am not sure if i saw zone blocking more than a handful of times the entire night on their behalf. I mean no disrespect by that statement because frankly, they don't really need to zone block with the players they have there, or with the wing-t scheme that hillsboro runs. having played at mba and grown up watching their games, however, i was used to a somewhat more sophisticated offense and defense.

Edited by Redtwin

First off, I am not espousing the following as Scripture, so take it with a grain of salt – it’s all pie in the sky.

Nevertheless, for the heck of it, I took each team’s rankings from three sources (Sonny Moore, Massey, and unapproved website) and averaged them into a composite ranking (the number in front of each team). This is what a 16-team playoff scenario – across both DI and DII – would look like based on those composite rankings. Of course, there are some controversial seeds (e.g., Hillsboro just beat Melrose but is seeded lower, Huntingdon looks over-seeded and Maryville looks under-seeded, a 2A semifinalist (Milan) makes the Top 16 but a 4A finalist (Mo. West) does not, etc.), but what great first round matchups (HHS and DLHS are a couple of miles apart; LCHS and Franklin played a barnburner in Week 0 this year won by the Falcons 38-33; BA and ORHS – two of the more storied programs in the state). Even potential second round matchups look intriguing if seeding held (MBA and Hillsboro – have played 50 times in their history; Melrose and CBHS – Week 0 struggle won by CBHS 10-8; BA and Riverdale – we all know the story behind that matchup in the mid 1990s).

The following format would never occur, and shouldn’t – the small schools would generally be left out, and it would take away the exciting state championship chases in each classification - but it is interesting to ponder.

1 at MBA

16 Fulton

8 at Hillsboro

9 David Lipscomb

4 at Melrose

13 McCallie

5 at CBHS

12 Milan

2 at Germantown

15 Maryville

7 at Lincoln County

10 Franklin