Whats's up at Cleveland HS?

Gov

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coach Rankin is the coach at Riverdale. It has been rumoured for years that Cleveland is one of the few jobs he would leave Riverdale for. I am still curious if cbr can shed some light on this issue of the class and the letter to the chairman of the board. Is there a cover-up going on or is this just a coaches decision to hold out a player for diciplinary reasons. It seems that Jay got all this ink at the beginning of the year (which was well deserved) and then poof he isn't playing. It just seems that someones not telling the truth here and the kid is having to suffer.

I can't confirm the rumors but this is what I am hearing.

FACT: Jay Davis took and passed a summer class to receive enough credits to be eligible for the fall semester.

FACT: Cleveland High does not have a dedicated summer school program, but a few courses are offered most summers depending on demand (ie students (not athletes) need the credit to stay on track to graduate).

RUMOR: An administrator/secretary either filed the paperwork 2 weeks later or failed to file it at all (depends on which rumor you hear).

FACT: A school board member was given a copy of Mr. Davis transcript and ask how he was eligible to the school board superintend. The transcript was supposedly given anonymously. The school adminstration immediately contacted TSSAA and they launched an investigation (RUMOR: using State department workers to conduct live interviews).

My understanding is that TSSAA and the State department are dragging this investigation out (currently 4 weeks and still no official response from TSSAA). There are other legal issues since someone obtain an transcript without the students permission.

As a sidenote,

there is another rumor that the spring transcript was given to a coach at another school in the district during football season. The coach ask if he was eligible and the response was that he took summer classes and the coach dropped it, instead of asking for a TSSAA investigation.

In my humble opinion, I feel as though this is all a smear campaign on the football coach and petty school board politics. Jay Davis appears to be the only one being punished, for an action that appears to be out of his control. He did the right thing by taking a summer course to get back on track to graduate on time. I thought everyone was innocent until proven guilty, instead of punishment as if guilty until proven innocent through a long dragged out process.

Oh yeah, why would a coach leave one successful program to go to another one? Rankin might have considered applying for the Cleveland job 6 years ago, but I doubt he would now.

Cowboys,what your telling me is an assistant coach from cleveland football team taught a summer class that was not approved!!! Was he paid for teaching this class? Was anyone else taking this class? Was it an indpendent study? Can a teacher do this for any student?If so I know a few students that could use this kind of help. Please reply.

So if this is true then it is understandable why Coach Green isn't playing Davis right now. However, if it is true then Cleveland may just have to forfeit their entire football season due to them using and ineligible player. Who is responsible for this entire mess the Coach, AD, Principal or all the above?

Bearman, all I know is that yes the class was taught by a coach. The one from Chatta. Central. I don't think there where any other students in the class.(not for sure on that one) No not any teacher could do this must be approved by the board. Do not know if he was paid or not. This raises a couple of questions. First, Davis is not completely innocent and being punished for nothing. He should have done the work to pass the class to begin with. Second, this is not the typical way that Cleveland students stay on path for graduation. Typically students go to Bradley High School and take summer school there. 3 possible reasons why Davis didn't do this. 1) didn't get paperwork in on time. 2) Afraid he wouldn't pass therefore be inillegible 3) This was an easier way to make sure everything happened the way they wanted. Third, instead of worrying about how someone got a transcript the main concern should be why didn't the coaches take this to the board themselves after they saw the error had been made. They new about this well before the season was over. That is a fact!! Blaming someone else is like being sorry because they got caught. Also this raises the question of maybe this is a small representation of why there is such a discipline problem with Cleveland Football. No leadership.

Smallie, Rankin would take the Cleveland job if it came open. He has made that very well known to anyone that is remotely friends with him.

Third, instead of worrying about how someone got a transcript the main concern should be why didn't the coaches take this to the board themselves after they saw the error had been made.

The taking of student information without consent is criminal in nature, with much stiffer penalties and consequences than forfeiting the football season.

My understanding of the situation, which is limited because the people I know with intimate knowledge are NOT talking at all, is that the coaches did not know that the paper work had not been filed. They knew that Mr. Davis went to class, and that he passed, therefore, he had enough credits to be eligible. The coaches became aware of the rumored deficiencies after the school board became aware.

Also this raises the question of maybe this is a small representation of why there is such a discipline problem with Cleveland Football. No leadership.

Discipline problem? Cause of one fight at the game, granted the kids should not fight but still. That fight was nothing, you have seen the fight in about '79 between Cleveland vs McMinn. Monroe and Mullinax would have punched each other if they could have found the other one. A couple of broken noses in that one. Leadership what is the football team now the boy scouts, get real.

I could care less about Rankin, I do know that Brown is the coach and that a few motivated people want him gone. I wonder if the school board member w/ the transcript is the same one that tried to get the girls basketball coach fired by saying that her hometown wanted her to comeback and coach?

Does any body know if Jay Davis is related to the city councilman of the same last name? He has political enemies if they are related.

Now we are getting somewhere, Great information on this debacle. Seems like there are some problems that will have to be solved and lots of questions need to be answered. I agree the person that is suffering the most is Jay Davis, when student athletes are having problems in the classroom, it is the responsibility for the school and athletic department to provide some guidence. It looks like Cleveland has once again dropped the ball in this departmant.