District 9-AA Current Standings

PageMan

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The tiebreaker that probably will be used is how did each do against the teams that

finished ahead of them...is this case how each did against Giles and if that

doesn't break the tie, then how did each do against Loretto.

It goes that way all the way to the bottom of the standings.

If that doesn't break the tie then there are other tiebreaker methods, but I

really don't know what they are & in what order they come. As even as this

district has been all year, the last tiebreaker might just be, which school's

team bus can get to Loretto the fastest !!!!

I don't think I'ever seen a district as competitive from top to bottom as this one

has been. Any one of the six could win the district next week....even Page

which is in the cellar. It's going to come down to which team is playing their best

basketball next week.

I'm going with Loretto for one simple reason...playing on their homecourt. The

long drive will catch up to Fairview, Page, Marshall, & Lewis as the week goes

progresses.

Edited by tigerman

tigerman is correct about the tie-breaker procedure from what I heard at Lewis Co. the other night. The Lewis coach assistant coaches said the district would use the SEC rules for tie breaking. I don't know that exact procedure, but I think its first, head-to-head record, then the record against the #1 seed, Giles Co., then #2 seed, Loretto, and on down. I think the final step, if all else fails, is the dreaded coin toss. Since Marshall Co. is currently 4-4, their games next week will have a bearing on the final standings. They could end up at 6-4, 5-5, or 4-6 depending on the outcome of their games with Loretto (6-3) and Giles (7-2). I'm assuming there will be a coaches' meeting on Wed., Feb. 18 to decide the final seeding & schedule for the district tournament at Loretto. As soon as I find out the schedule, I will post it.

According to what I heard at Lewis Co., they will be using the tie-breaker rules of the SEC. The first tie-breaker will be head-to-head matchups. 2nd, record against the #1 seed, then #2 seed, and so on. If all else fails, then the coin toss will be used. I also discussed this on a topic titled "District 9-AA Tournament" started by golfinman23.

Can anyone confirm that the Giles Co at Marshall Co. game will be played Wed, Feb. 18? Also is the Marshall Co. at Loretto game still set for Thurs, Feb. 19. If the above is true, then my schedule shows Columbia at Marshall Co. on Fri., Feb 20. Is Marshall going to play three games in a row and then go into the district tournament on Mon. - could be a little tiring, don't you think?

Thanks, tigerman. I'll be there to see how things come out. Marshall Co. (4-4) controls their destiny in regards to district tournament seeding. If they can win the final two district games against Giles Co. (7-2) tonight and Loretto (6-3) on Thursday, then they will be the #2 seed and earn that important 1st round bye. If they lose both games, then they will be the #5 seed. If they win one & lose one, then they end up at 5-5, tied with Fairview & Lewis Co. I'm not going into the tie-breakers for the three teams tied at 5-5 - you can look at the district 9 standings from any team's inside page and compare head-to-head play, record against Giles Co., & record against Loretto. The only things certain in the seedings is that Giles Co. is #1 and Page is #6. Every things else depends on these final two games.

Edited by PageMan

First post updated with game of 2-18-04 where Marshall Co. defeated Giles Co., 56-45. The final district game of Marshall Co. at Loretto on Thursday, Feb. 19, now has some drama. If Marshall wins, they will become the #2 seed since they will have beaten Loretto twice in head-to-head play. Loretto would be the #3 seed in this scenario. If Loretto wins, they will remain the #2 seed since they have lost head-to-head with Giles. Now as far as Lewis & Fairview are concerned, both with 5-5 records, things get a little confusing to me. Both Fairview and Lewis split in head-to-head play. In scenario #1, where Marshall wins at Loretto, both have split with #1 seed Giles. Against #2 seed Marshall, Fairview won both games and Lewis split, so Fairview is the #4 seed and Lewis is #5. In scenario #2, where Loretto wins and becomes the #2 seed and Marshall is 5-5, tied with Fairview & Lewis. Since Fairview won both games with Marshall, they would be #3 and Marshall #4. Lewis since they split with Fairview, split with Marshall, & split with Giles, would go to their record against #2 Loretto where they lost both games while the others split. So in this case again, Lewis would be the #5 seed. That is my analysis.

Your analysis is correct PageMan. If Marshall wins tonight the 3-6 game would be Page-Loretto and the 4-5 game would be Lewis-Fairview. If Loretto wins then the 3-6 game would be Page-Fairview and the 4-5 game Lewis-Marshall. You probably already know this but the 4-5 girls game will be the 4:30 game Monday and I am assuminig the 3-6 game will be 7:30 if they stick to the normal scheduling of girls-boys-girls-boys. Thanks for all your updates. They keep us informed on all the district teams.

Thanks, theshowstopper. Here is the district schedule for the girls.

Monday 4:30 #4 Marshall or Fairview vs #5 Lewis Co.

Monday 7:30 #3 Fairview or Loretto vs #6 Page

Tuesday 6:00 #1 Giles Co. vs 4/5 winner

Tuesday 7:30 #2 Loretto or Marshall Co. vs 3/6 winner

Thursday 6:00 Consolation

Thursday 7:30 Champioship

The boys schedule is for Mon. at 6 & 9, Wed. 6 & 7:30, & Fri. 6 & 7:30.

Seedings for both girls & boys depend on the outcome of Marshall Co. at Loretto - sorry I couldn't be more specific at this time.

Edited by PageMan

First post updated to include final district game of Loretto & Marshall Co. where Loretto won and is the #2 seed in the district tournament.

Here are the seeds:

#1 Giles Co.

#2 Loretto

#3 Fairview

#4 Marshall Co.

#5 Lewis Co.

#6 Page

On Mon, 4 plays 5 at 4:30 and 3 plays 6 at 7:30

On Tues, 1 plays winner of 4/5 at 6:00 & 2 plays winner of 3/6 at 7:30

On Thurs, Consolation at 6:00 and Championship at 7:30