Tennessee State Collegiate State Championships

Hamm

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay - this may be a stupid question, but is this an issue where our TN guys can't handle it at the next level? I've now heard of at least 3 TN boys that have quit UTC. Is Brands coaching that much different than the other NCAA programs? I know John Smith is tough, but at that level you would expect it. I would think that Brand's is trying to build a tough program at UTC that could compete with the likes of Oklahoma State.

:P

One thing to consider is the competition level. The case with both Artilles and Pennington is just considering the high school careers they both had, they weren't so successful at the next level. They both started as true freshman and were pretty much thrown to the wolves and had to make the adjustment fairly quickly. Neither of them took redshirt years. They both wrestled in one or two open tournaments before being named starters and recieved a rude awakening. Artilles as a true freshman, had a record of somewhere around 3-15. Pennington this year as a true freshman had a record 1-9. Group that with making the adjustment to college life, not to mention a great college coach! Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely not making excuses for these guys, I just have a similar story. They are both great guys and even better wrestlers, they just may not have been the best fit in the Brands program.

Keller is really a special case. He placed at almost every open tournament last year as a redshirt. Pennington nor Artilles ever took a redshirt year. Artilles started for 2 years and Pennington started this year both started as true freshmen. Keller redshirted last year, and is having a great year this year!