What Do You Look For In a New Coach ?

mctigersportsfan

What things should factor into hiring a new coach ???

Experience ???

Record ???

Classifications That He Has Coached In ???

Just cuious what a program looks for in a new coach !!!

Here are some things that some people fail to consider:

1. Organizational skills: You can be the best assistant coach in the world, but if you don't have GREAT organizational skills, your first few years of serving as a head coach can be rough.

2. Knowledge of the game: There are many great assistant coaches who know and understand ONE ASPECT of the game (i.e. DB's, Rec., etc) but never fully understand the "big picture." These men have to learn on the job or they must rely on others to help them along.

3. Evaluate talent: This may be the most difficult part of being a head coach and the most important. A head coach must be able to look at incoming freshman and sophomores and evaluate talent. A kid that plays out of position for two years has probably waisted two years of technique and physical development.

4. Even temper/under control: It is extremely important that a head football coach can control his temper and treat all of his players the same. The days of the throwing clip boards all over the field are over!

Of course there are the obvious things that everyone looks at: previous records as a head coach, association with a solid program, etc.

I think you look for experience, but that should not be the only factor. The main thing is that the school's administration feels comfortable with the coach's ability to run a program, and the coach feels supported by school. I do not think a coach necassarily needs head coaching experience, but they should have at least been a coordinator. I also do not think length of tenure should be a question. Change is good in most situations and coaching is no different.