FRA v. Goodpasture

blik

Everybody who had already crowned Goodpasture as the team to beat in 9A(including Gomab ho has picked them to win the state) might want to slow down. FRA took them down tonight. FRA, who has had their current team together for 9 games is not somebody you want to play with the season on the line.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

52-44. GP hit a couple of shots to make it closer late. Daniel had 11 and is a huge punk on the court. I like basketball, and I know kids will be kids, but he is a punk. Fouled out and should have been gone much earlier. Foley had 19, I think. Eagle, you know how I feel about Anderson. Daniel is worse.

Wow. That's pretty bad then. I remember seeing him pre-season talking smack to Anderson in a scrimmage which was funny. Never seen a punk deaf kid but i guess theres a first for everything. I think his problem is he lets fans in the stands get in his head by yelling stuff..... Too bad he has a bad attitude he seems like a good player. Good game to FRA. Another team in 9A seemingly improving.

I think that it not the fans bothering him but the refs. I'm sure its tough to have a target on your back by both the opposing team and the refs. The good old days are one when the refs "protect " the teams best player. It seems just to be the opposite. The refs wanting to prove a point that they can dictate the game by calling silly fouls on the "star" player just to show how big and bad they can be. Any thoughts?

Edited by Raptar

The Goodpasture-FRA score was tied at haltime and tied at the end of the third and went to the last minute and a half when we got down a little and had to foul. FRA hit their free throws. Goodpasture had a very bad night at the line, and that was the difference in this game, so it makes it hard to lose one like that when you sort of defeat yourself. FRA has balanced scoring, from what I've seen, and Goodpasture is more balanced than many people might realize, because everyone likes to focus on Ryan. Also, those who know the game know that there are LOTS of factors other than the final numbers that are put in the paper. What about the steals, the assists, taking charges and causing turnovers for the other team? The guys who do that consistently deserve their recognition, as well, so it would be nice if everyone who so much loves to talk about Goodpasture would not totally focus on Ryan and pay attention to the team as a whole. We're not that bad without him, and have had to play a lot of times without him because of foul trouble. He's a good kid from a fine family and I've known him since he was four years old,- he does get frustrated, and how much of that is due to the hearing loss or how much of that is due to the hype of his height, etc. I can't say. I'm sure Kyle Keene is a good kid, too, but he seemed sort of "punkish" last night, too, and one of FRA's players said "BS" (the full word, not the condensed version) as he was running down the court on what he thought was a bad call, and he's probably a nice kid overall, too. Their emotions sometimes rule their actions...they are kids. Would Ryan be so much the target if he were six inches shorter and doing everything else exactly the same? Probably not. I said earlier in the year that on any given night in 9A anybody can win a big game. We have a lot of solid players throughout the district, so it will make for a competitive road and exciting year for the fans. We might have been favored, and if we all play our top game at the same time, we are pretty good, as are many other teams. Healthy rivalries are good, and compliments to other players, teams, and coaches as they warrant it are nice, but it seems like a lot of "junk" talk in these forums is just a waste of a good thing.

I'm not into bashing "good" kids, and I'm sure that most of the ones we are talking about are good kids. However, you clearly recognize some problems with Daniel. Otherwise, you wouldn't be trying to excuse it by referencing his height or hearing loss, or whatever else might "explain" why he acts extremely childish at times. My problem is that we should be teaching kids respect. Making excuses for their behavior does not further that goal. I haven't focused on daniel, as any Nashville Christian fan who posts on here can attest (i.e. Anderson). I respect his ability and applaud his effort and desire. However, calling a spade a spade is not "junk talk." He intentionally pushed an FRA player as he was walking off the court last night after fouling out. He cries (not literally, of course) on every call or no-call.

As sports fans, we houl at the breakdown of morals and leadership when we see these attributes in pro athletes. We bemoan the failure of these athletes to be "role models." Why on earth is it different when it is a high school kid? Daniel is a great talent, and he has a great future. I don't personally like the way he acts on the basketball court, but I don't question whether he is a good kid.

In addition, my criticism has very little to do with getting on a high school sports related website and throwing mud on kids. Rather, it is a genuine concern for and dislike of how kids are allowed to acts on the basketball court and the fact that people (even some adults) so quickly rise to their defense with excuses. That is not how I was raised, not do I suspect most of the adults who use this site were allowed to act in such a manner. Just my opinion.

My remark was not aimed at anyone personally...sorry you took it that way. As I look back on the posts, you did say "he is a punk", which I don't think is particularly admirable either, so we all have our faults. I do not excuse Ryan's actions, and there is no place for the pushing. My only soft spot for him would be to say that people do mark him because of his size, over which he has no control, and comments are sometimes made by students and adults alike that are inappropriate sometimes, and there is no place for that either. He would be better off if he could totally tune all that out - agreed. Hopefully, that will come throughout this year as he prepares for college. Meanwhile, when people talk about Goodpasture, I just hope they look at the rest of the team and their contributions, not just Ryan. I guess that that's natural, though, with all the media hype. Being the mother of one of the "lesser" players, I guess, I'd just like to see the team as a whole get credit, because they all work very hard. And yes, I feel that way about all the teams. All of those guys do their running and lifting and extra shooting on the side and hopefully work in the classroom, and I hope basketball is a great experience for all of them, not just the ones who score the most points. I do appreciate your comments, and maybe discussions like these can make all of us see things from many different perspectives. I very much enjoy reading the posts on my breaks.

Give me a break. The guy is 6'11 and will be playing college basketball this time next year, yet we should feel sorry for him (or have a soft spot) because of his height and that people mark him because of his size? That's just ridiculous.

Also, it's quite funny that one would consider Kyle Keene to be a "punk".

I give up...some of you take things too personally. I never said he was a punk...read again. He did do some huffing and puffing when he scored...maybe all in the emotion of the game, and he had a fine game. He was the high scorer of the night for either team, I believe. I complimented FRA's scoring balance, and I only said he acted sort of "punkish" at times. My opinion. That's not calling him a punk, so whatever you want to make of it, so be it. We've been playing him for years and I've never seen him like that before, actually, so don't be so offended. Your number 10 point guard held his own, too, and should be commended for filling Salato's loss. About the soft spot, I'm just a mom, and that's one of our weaknesses- we have those for people. Guys are very different, I know. If Ryan comes across like a punk, I really do hate that...for him and for the school, because he's really a nice guy. Please, if anyone knows Kyle, don't tell him someone said he was a punk, because that is not true at all. He did well, and the game went to FRA. No hard feelings.