Dyer County at Greenfield

dhbb

Dyer Co. won 54-47.

I'll sum it up for Greenfield by saying this: too many turnovers, too many missed shots, and too little defense.

Dyer Co. did a good job of getting the ball into the post, where they had a huge size advantage. Brandon Shane held his own for the most part with Courtney Jones, but the other post was just too much for Galey to guard. Jones had several points though. Antonio Mitchell hit some key shots as well. It seemed like everytime Greenfield would cut the lead to 2 to 4 points, they'd turn it over and Dyer Co. would take advantage and push the lead right back to 7 or 8. Dyer Co. did a good job on Clint Blackburn as well. He struggled to get open all night and got frustrated at times.

Greenfield was very cold for the second straight game. The shots just are not falling right now. And they look a little out of sync right now. They've got two tough games coming up, so they'll need to get it together in a hurry.

balla, I think you hit the nail on the head there. It seems like whenever we play a talented team that is athletic and has a good post game, we resort to shooting a lot of threes. (See Dyer Co., West Carroll, Union City, Milan, etc.)

If we are hot, that's great. But when we aren't, it looks really ugly. The one common denominator I've noticed in the losses this year -

Dyer Co. - good post game (Jones and Harris), athletic team, great shooter (Mitchell)

West Carroll - athletic team, great shooter (Taylor), good post game (Webb & Taylor)

Union City - athletic team, great shooter (Weddle, I believe?)

Milan - athletic team, good post game, great shooter (Adkisson)

Westview - athletic team, good post game (Bright and co.), great shooter (Davis and Black)

Liberty - athletic team, good post game

Lake Co. - athletic team, great shooter (Mays and #22), good post game

We are struggling against teams with a good combination of guards and posts. If a team has good post players, our guards have to help because we can only guard one good post player (with Brandon). If they have two, we are in trouble, primarily because Galey is so undersized. When our guards help, that leaves the good shooters or slashers open to shoot or drive.

However, on the positive side, only two of the losses have come to Single A teams. And they were both very close games decided by 1 point on a last second shot (West Carroll) and by 3 points in overtime in a game where we couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. And very few Single A teams have the combination of athletes, posts, and shooters that the above AA schools have. And I haven't even mentioned that the AA schools that we've lost to are all very good (most are ranked in Coach T's rankings). It's not like we are losing to pushover teams. Even the two Single A teams are very good. We don't really have a bad loss, unless maybe the West Carroll loss.