Loretto 68, Lewis Co. 65

PageMan

Loretto.......14...15...18...21.....68

Lewis Co....13...21...17...14.....65

Loretto 68 - Rachel Stone 15, Laura Birdyshaw 14, Leah Stone 13, Meredith Green 11, Jana Cross 10, Paige Hannah 3, Channing Franklin 2

Lewis Co. 65 - Nicole Duncan 17, Casey Anderson 14, Delicia Brugmann 13, Beth Bradley 9, Britni Tenison 6, Allyson Brewer 4, Courtney Sheets 2

Three Point Goals:

Loretto 11 (Birdyshaw 4, L. Stone 3, M. Green 3, Hannah)

Lewis Co. 2 (Anderson, Brewer)

Team Free Throws:

Loretto - 3 of 6 (50.0%)

Lewis Co. 13 of 22 (59.1%)

Team Fouls: Loretto 21, Lewis Co. 11

Team Turnovers: Loretto 8, Lewis Co. 14

This game lived up to all its expectations as both teams fought down to the wire, but Loretto's Paige Hannah hit the winning three point shot as time expired after a Lewis Co. turnover with just seconds remaining. These were Hannah's only points of the night, but it was a great time to make them. In the 1st half, Loretto had 7 three's, but Lewis led 34-29 on Duncan's 9 pts., Anderson's 7 pts., and Brugmann's 6 pts. In the 3rd qtr., Loretto's R. Stone had 10 while Lewis Co. had a balanced attack with 3 players with 4 each as Lewis still leads by 4, 51-47. In the 4th qtr., Loretto got the three's going again with 4 as Lewis hit 8 of 12 FT's down the stretch, but it was Loretto who got the last shot & won the game on Hannah's three. Both teams played well, but Loretto had fewer turnovers and Lewis missed some FT's that could have made a difference. Loretto had a balanced attack with 5 players in double figures while Lewis had consistent scoring from Duncan, Anderson, Brugmann, & Bradley who all scored in every qtr. Strangely, both Cross for Loretto and Tenison for Lewis Co. were fifth in scoring for their respective teams. It's my opinion that these two teams are probably the best in the district and it will be interesting to see if they can face each other again in the district tournament.

Edited by PageMan

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great post PageMan. :) This game was just unbelieveable, probably the best girls game I've ever seen. Both teams fought hard back and fourth the whole game and neither one deserved to lose. This was the most exciting game that anybody could ask for. Everybody in attendence got their 4 dollars worth just in this game, they should of charged more if they knew Jeff was going to have 2 baduka dunks. Well it was good to see my ole pal PageMan there as a "Silent Observer" I really wanted to talk to him but I remembered the rules. :) I also think that these are the best two teams in the district and hope they get to meet again in the district championship game. :) Was this Ms. Birdyshaw's first game back since injuring her knee? If it was she didn't show any rust in nailing those 4 three's. Congrats to the Mustangs on a great win and to the Lady Panthers on a great effort and what about that #10? :);)

Giles Co has been the best team both nights vs Loretto... Well, not really the first night... More of a free throw show for them seeing that they shot 40+.... But the Loretto, Giles game at giles... Giles co was, by far the better team.... Now, this was on THAT night... Loretto played horrible in both meetings vs GCHS... They are the best in the district... they, by far, have the most talent in the district, (and region) however, they have motivation issues... It seems that they play much better against tough competition... But lack the mindset to put a game out of reach against a less talented team.... If they make it to state, I think they will do great.... But i'm worried about them getting there due to their rollercoaster play.... I'm rootin for 'em though...

All the talk about luck is not right on the other threads. We got beat by a shot that was made under good pressure and was crazy but it wasn't luck. We had the game won but made a mistake at the end and gave them the chance to win that they took advantage of. I hope we play them again in the championship where the outcome will be different.

Let's keep our heads up ladies!