Best coach

scbballfreak

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a tough one because there are a lot of coaches who deserve credit for where there programs are. But heres my top 3 coaches.  1. Insell-Shelbyville  2. Huskey-Sevier Co  3. Prudden-Oak Ridge

You are evidently from East Tn, Insell i understand but how you can put either of the two above Jackson County's Jim Brown is unthinkable. I realize that each has won a state championship but neither has won 4 in a row. No mention of Class A Lamar Rogers, who has won 6 state championships? You really must get outside that glass bubble that you live in over there in east tn.

You are evidently from East Tn, Insell i understand but how you can put either of the two above Jackson County's Jim Brown is unthinkable. I realize that each has won a state championship but neither has won 4 in a row. No mention of Class A Lamar Rogers, who has won 6 state championships? You really must get outside that glass bubble that you live in over there in east tn.

You know, you actually make sense sometimes. Not because you have Coach Insell down but Coach Brown and Lamar have to be up there high. How many coaches have never been to the state tournament, except as a spectator, never mind win in several times. A very good post.

I will admit Insell is a terrific coach, but he also has talent dropped (or delivered) on his door step every year. You have to consider coaches that take average talent, improve that talent, and THEN win ballgames. David Russell is a perfect example-look at what he did at Bradford with Bradford kids-now look at what he is doing at Gibson Co. He has built that program to where it is-#1 in state and a perfect 17-0 record and he has done that with kids from right there in Gibson Co. I mean no disrespect to Insell, he might be the best recruiter in the state but I don't believe he is the best coach in the state.

I will admit Insell is a terrific coach, but he also has talent dropped (or delivered) on his door step every year. You have to consider coaches that take average talent, improve that talent, and THEN win ballgames. David Russell is a perfect example-look at what he did at Bradford with Bradford kids-now look at what he is doing at Gibson Co. He has built that program to where it is-#1 in state and a perfect 17-0 record and he has done that with kids from right there in Gibson Co. I mean no disrespect to Insell, he might be the best recruiter in the state but I don't believe he is the best coach in the state.

Now that ruffled my feathers, beating that same ole dead dog. You offer no proof but everyone seems so consumed with jealously that he must be doing somethng wrong. If this coach you are talking about had a good quality player move into his area, would he not coach her? I don't think so. Success is such a magnet, you don't understand what lengths people will go to become part of something as successful as his program. Is he at fault for that? He works very hard and coaches the kids that are properly enrolled at his school. If you have solid proof of otherwise, produce it, I am sure there are lots of folks that would love to see it and use it, as they should.

didn't mean to bother your feathers flem, but everyone knows how to get kids properly enrolled without you, as the coach, actually getting your hands dirty-come on, look at the kids that move in from surrounding counties-that doesn't go on in other programs near as often as it does at Shelbyville and his isn't the only top-noth program in the state. Do you really believe he doesn't recruit or are just that loyal. And I'm really not jealous-more power to him-just don't think he is the best coach in the state.

Devil,

Why not have Prudden above the other 2 you mentioned? She has won her fair share of titles. Heck if the guy rated #1 wasn't above her she would have more. I can't argue the 4 titles in a row but if your coach was at Oak Ridge would that be accomplished? I doubt it with Shelbyville in the way. I'm not saying she is better than the coach at Jackson County but trying to prove a point. Also is Insell the best? I mean coach K is often considered the current best coach in college but heck he dresses 8 McDonald's AA's. Is he a better coach than say Mark Few or someone at a lower program that can't get all the top players. As a matter of fact the few years Duke was down recruiting was down. All I'm saying is players make coaches and the top programs even in High school girls basketball find a way to get the best players. Yes these coaches have earned their reputations by being great coaches but all have had quality AAU programs. The best coaches may be at any school with crap for talent making his or her players the best they can be and that my friends is good coaching.

didn't mean to bother your feathers flem, but everyone knows how to get kids properly enrolled without you, as the coach, actually getting your hands dirty-come on, look at the kids that move in from surrounding counties-that doesn't go on in other programs near as often as it does at Shelbyville and his isn't the only top-noth program in the state. Do you really believe he doesn't recruit or are just that loyal. And I'm really not jealous-more power to him-just don't think he is the best coach in the state.

All I can say is what I saw the 18 years I was associated with the program. Not one time did I ever see or hear Coach Insell do anything that would be considered recruiting. I did see and hear several parents on several occasions indicate they would like for him to coach their daughter and his pat response was to go see the principal and get them enrolled and he would coach whomever. I was first hand with or near him most all the time during that 18 year tenure and that is what I saw. Can I vouch for what all the so called "supporters" have said or done, absolutely not, as can any coach for their fans and supporters. I suggest that more have moved into that county simply because of the success and wanting to be a part of the program. While I was at one of the feeder schools of Shelbyville, I had a nearby county girls coach literally beg me to get my best player to cross the county line and come to his school. I told him that was strictly up to the parents. They chose for her to stay in Bedford County. Also, seldom is it mentioned the number of kids that move in to play and never play or move away again. I guess it is which came first the chicken or the egg, success or the kids moving. He was not in the state tournament his first year but it was not long before he was and it was with all Bedford County kids. And then he went again and again and again and they began to come. Shame on him for working so hard. I personally got involved because I wanted to be a part of a successful program. I just stated scouting teams he was about to play and before we knew it we had a very close relatonship and probably became my best friend. It was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do, say goodbye to him and the program and move away but it was what was best for me, my health, and my family. Most of the post are based on what people think and assume has had to happen, mine is based on what I know to have happened. Even though I am no longer with the progam, it breaks my heart to hear this same old thing brought up again and again. I have said before but I am sticking to it this time, I will not be posting on this subject again. Enough is enough.

Devil,

Why not have Prudden above the other 2 you mentioned? She has won her fair share of titles. Heck if the guy rated #1 wasn't above her she would have more. I can't argue the 4 titles in a row but if your coach was at Oak Ridge would that be accomplished? I doubt it with Shelbyville in the way. I'm not saying she is better than the coach at Jackson County but trying to prove a point. Also is Insell the best? I mean coach K is often considered the current best coach in college but heck he dresses 8 McDonald's AA's. Is he a better coach than say Mark Few or someone at a lower program that can't get all the top players. As a matter of fact the few years Duke was down recruiting was down. All I'm saying is players make coaches and the top programs even in High school girls basketball find a way to get the best players. Yes these coaches have earned their reputations by being great coaches but all have had quality AAU programs. The best coaches may be at any school with crap for talent making his or her players the best they can be and that my friends is good coaching.

You make some very valid points, and i definately agree with you on most of it, but consider this, Jackson County as a whole has exactly TWO stop lights in it. Out of all the championship teams that we've had all the girls were born and raised in this county. Now think about that for a second, TWO stop lights, very small rural Community and yet we compete with and have beaten all the others the past 5 years in a row! The only loss coming to LA in the state championship game 6 years ago. Think about all the other schools and how big the cities and counties are that they are able to draw from.... Memphis, Nashville, Knoxville, Chattanooga, Tri-Cities, Jackson, Murphreesboro, Clarksville, Sevier County, the list goes on and on. All i'm saying is for this coach to be so dominant at such a high level for so long, there is no one right now that should be ahead of him, except the ones with longer tenures and more titles, if you have any common sense you will atleast admit i have a valid arguement here.