Region 2 Champs

slimwrastler54

Who will win and what are the top 3 teams?

103-Puckett-Gibbs

112-Abercrombie-Farragut

119-Campbell-Union County

125-???

130-Talley-South Doyle

135-Tisdale-Karns

140-Dix-Farragut

145-????

152-Turner-Farragut

160-up for grabs, Blankenship of Farragut, Campbell of Seymour, or Cardwell of Karns could win it

171-Knox-Farragut

189-????

215-Hazlete-Union County

275-Johnson-Seymour

TOP 5 TEAMS IN NO ORDER:

Farragut

Maryville

South Doyle

Karns

Gibbs or Union County

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Who will win and what are the top 3 teams?

TOP 5 TEAMS IN NO ORDER:

Farragut

Maryville

South Doyle

Karns

Gibbs or Union County

Educate me here. BofW, I know you can. From what I remember slimwrastler's top five order noted above is not too far off is it?

soms

Edited by Sommers

So only 6 teams will have a region champ. What about Maryville? Thomason has been impressive this year. Landon Hall, what about that guy? Everett vs. Breeden will be a good one for 125. 189 Dunn from WB is the best by far. Farragut will not win the tournament, Maryville will. They should have several state qualifiers. 125, 135, 140, 145, 152, 171, 189, HWT. Farragut does not even have that many wrestlers. Farragut will have several, too. 112, 125, 140, 152, 160, 171 maybe 130 and 189, but the rest of Maryvilles wrestlers will win a few matches.

Trophyhunter - Careful about those predictions! Trying to say a team will win or lose in an Individual Tournament based on Dual Meet results can make for some really off the mark material that gets put up on wrestling room walls.

To get a feel for the difference between a good Duals team and a good Individual Tournament team, take a look at the results of the KIL last weekend.

Earlier in the season, Catholic beat Farragut 48-32 in a Dual Meet (3 forfeits). Then, Karns won the District Duals championship and Farragut came in 3rd. (Maryville won the Region Duals and beat Farragut 36-29 at the Eagle Challenge.)

But forfeits don't work the same way in an Individual Tournament. Neither do head to head matchups. It's all based on who will have the most top 4 finishers and, specifically, who will put up the numbers in champions and runners-up.

That's why Farragut won the KIL with 180.5, with Karns 2nd at 154.5 and Catholic 3rd at 136.5. (Congrats to Coach Weldon of Karns for a great job!)

Duals results without looking at the details would have predicted a very different outcome. Duals results for a Farragut - Maryville matchup might say Maryville wins the Region Tournament.

But remember, in an Individual Tournament there are 14 weight classes and 10-32 competitors at each weight. At the KIL, Farragut entered 11 competitors, had 9 medalists, with 6 in the finals and 4 Champions.

The Region 2 Tournament will throw some different teams in the mix, and that will affect some weights, but I'll go out on a limb and predict that both Farragut and Maryville will have the same number of State qualifiers.

The question is, who will have the most Champions and runners-up? That's where the big points come from, that win Individual Regional Tournaments.

I'll leave the detailed predictions by weight to others. Wouldn't want to show any more bias than I already have. But, careful with those predictions !

The guys that Maryville has that will not go to state will pick up some wins. This will score advancement points for them that Farragut will not have a chance to score. The guys who do not go to state for farragut will be lucky to win a match at regions. Where as Maryville has quality guys who could be seeded top eight at each weight class. It will be interesting to see who wins Regions, but my bets are on Maryville. Although, I have seen it happen the way that Farragut is saying. If Farragut wins at 112, 125, 140, 152, 160, and 171, they will win the tournament. If their 145 was still healthy, they would win for sure. Good luck Farragut.