DISRESPECT FOR REFS - WHERE IS THE LINE?

lionfan#5

Where should the line be drawn for coaches that are whiners?

During the last Milan - Lexington game, Lexington got to shoot about 40 freethrows and obviously had an affect on this critical game. Coach Gardner has been known (and from what I hear he brags of this fact) of how to control the refs from the sidelines during the game. I thought the refs were very favorable to him.

Is it fair ?? Why should one coach be allowed to continuously challenge the refs calls with a major attitude during the game without a technical?

Whatever happen to the days when the refs did not put up with this nonsense?

What are the guidelines/rules on this conduct?

Edited by lionfan#5

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with the lion on this. Coach Gardner works ard on the sideline and his teams have always won alot of games. And some Coaches just set there and watch there teams get beat either because thay are scared to say anything to the ref's or they are caught up in the action and freeze up or just chock.

You can talk to the ref's and get alot of calls but if you just set there like a knot on a log you will be looking at a losing season or looking for another job.

I agree with the lion on this. Coach Gardner works ard on the sideline and his teams have always won alot of games. And some Coaches just set there and watch there teams get beat either because thay are scared to say anything to the ref's or they are caught up in the action and freeze up or just chock.

You can talk to the ref's and get alot of calls but if you just set there like a knot on a log you will be looking at a losing season or looking for another job.

You shouldnt have to whine and cry to the refs to win games.

:D No whining from the BEST COACH in this STATE!

He is brillant at how he controls both the players and refs. Ain't many like him around. His understanding of the game is just better than the other coaches. Did you see him get any technicals??? So don't pick him apart.

:DTHE LHSdribblingSamuraiWarrior :P

(i'm only guessin that this person is from camden...) isn't it funny how camden is always complaining about Lexington....they can't get over the fact that l-town has proved that they don't stand a chance against us. coach gardner being able to control the game is a gift. quit whining and deal with it. this is a stupid thread that shouldn't have even started.

I think the person that started this post is from Camden. How cares how Gardner works the refs. I'm just tired of everyone thinkin L-Town is the s**t. They're pretty good. I'm from Camden and they beat us both times pretty bad. I can except that.But wait and do all the braggin after region if you have any braggin rights after that.

Jhones?

It is only stupid to those who may be hiding or getting away with something?!

Obviously Gardner works the refs openly before the crowd. He doesn't mind acting like a donkey before the crowd - he seems to love it. Gardner is conditioning the refs - In other words - I will act a fool in front of the crowd and try to embarass or intimidate you until you give in to me some(it only takes a couple of calls to win a close one - ask Milan).

I have heard two things Gardner. One is that Gardner feeds the refs in his hospitality room that he has his parents set up for the more elite fans and refs, and the second is that he brags openly that he "black balls" the ref that calls against him by telling him that they won't be invited back to ref at his gym again ??

Now - if the guy is doing this - he his going completely over the line. I thought that the TSSAA had complete control over who refs what games?

BUT FEEDING THE REFS ?????????

I'd like to believe that everything is even on the floor when you start out - but this smells like cheating to me.

Bottom line - if it is a close game - IT MATTERS - in a wipe out - he can hoot and holler and bellyache all he wants for all I care.

I think the refs should call him on his first attack in big rivalry games and keep his bottom on the bench.

OR either guys like Sheppard at Milan is going to have to learn how to become a screaming fool too in order to balance the game for his team.

Edited by lionfan#5

I agree with hesmycousin.

I have done it before so I'm speaking from experience.

It's no fun when fans get personal, but as an official I know I'm going to have to take it when others dish it out. IT's something you know going into it. In a perfect world you'd make the right call to make EVERYONE happy. But in our world, all you can do is try.

I agree with hesmycousin.

I have done it before so I'm speaking from experience.

It's no fun when fans get personal, but as an official I know I'm going to have to take it when others dish it out. IT's something you know going into it. In a perfect world you'd make the right call to make EVERYONE happy. But in our world, all you can do is try.

Good post Grad - we cannot expect the high school refs to be perfect - it is impossible - but they try. The key is that some refs when they show blood - Gardener goes for the kill with the ultimate intimidation - you don't need a coach drawing your attention away from the game (especially during a big rivalry game) to listen to him. I can see ignoring the fans, but when the coach is right there in your ear then it is different.