Referee Question

JWhumboldt

Last night I was the official scorekeeper because our regular one was out.

The referee made a call and came to half court to tell me what # he called the foul on. I looked down and wrote it in the book. As soon as I looked up, the ref was in my face. He proceeded to say, "If you frown at me again, I will have you removed from this game." I honestly didn't realize I was frowning at him, if I even was. Thats how it happened. Nothing more, nothing less.

Could this be an official abusing his authority? Or simply a jerk out of hand?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes the ref can remove you from the table....if you are disagreeing with his calls and want to yell at him then you need to get a seat in the stands....people who sit at the table are supposed to be unbiased to the game. And if the ref continues to go to the table to report his foul and all he sees is someone shaking their head then yes they should be moved from the table.....That is there right

Trying to not be a ref basher here. However, I've seen more inconsistent officiating this year than ever before. Referees should be held accountable for their performances. They are paid and supposed to be professionals. In the case of this thread, official score keepers are supposed to be unbiased. But this ref sounds like a complete jerk who has more of a problem with himself than the scorekeeper.

People who pay to see a game should be able to yell and cheer their teams on. As long as there is no profanity or threats, they should also be able to yell at officials. Good officials take it and often get some humor out of it.

I think some referees 'think' they have more control than they actually do. I saw a game recently where on the first shot of the game, a fan yelled for the ref to "get him off his back!" The official stopped play, the gym silenced, and he pointed at the fan an warned him he'd throw him out. No profanity, no threats.

I've also seen refs this year who don't know what part of the backboard is out of bounds, refs who aren't sure what call to make on backcourt violations, refs not realize what constitutes a technical foul, refs who don't recognize how many extra players are on the floor, and refs who let jump ball situations go on for 7 or 8 seconds, resulting in temper flare ups.

I'm sure there are lots of good refs. Some need to study the rule book for this sport.

Ok....just for fun....what part of the backboard is out of bounds?

Backcourt....If a offensive player has the ball in his frontcourt and the defense knocks the ball away from him and it hits the offensive player on the knee and goes in the backcourt and the offensive player goes and gets the ball what do you have?

When should you give a Tech?